Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Effect of Coral Snow on Cyano (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69853)

viperfish 11-15-2010 03:26 AM

Effect of Coral Snow on Cyano

I know KZ Coral Snow is supposed to neutralize the acids that cause Hair Algae to grow but does anyone know what it does for Cyano. I've been dosing my tank with it and the Cyano seems to just love it by the way its growing. Does anyone have any first hand experience? Just for the record N&P are both undetectable.

christyf5 11-15-2010 03:34 AM

It did nothing for me. I dosed it daily for about 10-14 days (can't remember when I gave up). It didn't slow its growth but I didn't feel like it sped it up either.

On the bright side my corals looked pretty fabulous :razz:

daniella3d 11-15-2010 03:47 AM

Chemiclean Red Slime remover did the job for me. Applied as directed, no negative effect on the coral or animals what so ever and I never saw cyano again...that's been 4 or 5 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by medhatreefguy (Post 564871)
I know KZ Coral Snow is supposed to neutralize the acids that cause Hair Algae to grow but does anyone know what it does for Cyano. I've been dosing my tank with it and the Cyano seems to just love it by the way its growing. Does anyone have any first hand experience? Just for the record N&P are both undetectable.

viperfish 11-15-2010 04:13 AM

I'm running it right now. My 48 hrs is up tonight so tomorrow I'll do a 20% w/c. I shut my skimmer and carbon reactor as suggested but I did leave my filter sock in, I wonder if that's why it didn't work as well. I restarted my carbon tonight so I can start cleaning it out of the water, I just hate how it drops the PH and uses up so much O2. I know it knocked out quite a bit of the cyano because my filter sock turned completely red in 24hrs, it just didn't get it all. Maybe I just need one more treatment.

ponokareefer 11-15-2010 04:13 AM

It didn't do a thing for me.

BlueTang<3 11-15-2010 04:16 AM

Coral snow along with zeo back is supposed to do the trick i have never had it work. I am also using zeo zyme it is not helping either. Altho i hardly have any to begin with.

viperfish 11-15-2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 (Post 564905)
Coral snow along with zeo back is supposed to do the trick i have never had it work. I am also using zeo zyme it is not helping either. Altho i hardly have any to begin with.

I just read that on RC, I think I'll have to grab some Zeo Bak and give it a try.

Scubasteve23 11-15-2010 04:19 AM

I'm starting to wonder if using the bio pellets with the coral snow is an issue?? I didn't have any cyano until they both were running together...hmm... i also noticed it seems that every time i change my carbon it comes back for a couple days... anyone ever received bad carbon???

Delphinus 11-15-2010 04:22 AM

FWIW, coral snow with or without zeobak never touched cyano for me either.

Milad 11-15-2010 05:17 AM

ive been doing coral snow with water changes mainly because it clears the water so well
i have/had cyano and i went all dark for 48 hours, and did zeozyme every day with zoebak. Lights have been back on for 48hours now and no sign of cyano coming back (SO FAR).
and i run bio pellets.