Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tank of the month? Moderators? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133032)

kien 04-05-2022 05:48 PM

The question is, what makes a forum “active” ?

We’ve tried resurrecting Photo of the Month (a few times). Interest has tended to drop off. People stop bothering to submit photos.

We’ve tried resurrecting Tank of the Month/quarter. Sadly, there just aren’t a lot of people updating their tank threads. All you have to do is go over to the tank thread forum to see that there just isn’t that much activity.

To me, activity relies more on the user community than the admins or mods. There just doesn’t seem to be as many people interested in posting compared to the “glory” days.

Im not sure that paying a subscription to a forum would promote more interest in people. What would you be paying for, exactly ?

corallivore 04-05-2022 05:57 PM

For a site that has some funds to run better.

This thread mentions no sponsors.

I'm a member of a few forums for niche things where members chip in to make sure the site has what it needs to be as modern and as easy to use as possible.

Things like prizes could generate more interest for totm, for example.

It could be a kick in the ass for the site given by the members who really value it.

kien 04-05-2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corallivore (Post 1053568)
For a site that has some funds to run better.

This thread mentions no sponsors.

I'm a member of a few forums for niche things where members chip in to make sure the site has what it needs to be as modern and as easy to use as possible.

Things like prizes could generate more interest for totm, for example.

It could be a kick in the ass for the site given by the members who really value it.

I recall a few years back I think there was a poll which asked if people would be willing to pay a subscription. I don't remember what that subscription got you though. You could try making a poll to gauge interest in that?

WarDog 04-05-2022 09:04 PM

We haven't had a poll in ages.... someone do one on Best Salt!

kien 04-05-2022 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1053572)
We haven't had a poll in ages.... someone do one on Best Salt!

my favourite is Windsor Salt.

Ryan 04-06-2022 05:41 AM

Want to increase build thread activity. Step 1 is to make posting pictures easier on Canreef.

I believe this forum needs to be abandoned and a new one brought up in its place.

kien 04-06-2022 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 1053576)
Want to increase build thread activity. Step 1 is to make posting pictures easier on Canreef.

I believe this forum needs to be abandoned and a new one brought up in its place.

Ya, posting pictures is definitely an issue for a lot of people. I'm not sure there is an easy fix for this though. We were supposed to get a new forum a few years ago. But that hasn't happened. Maybe there just aren't as many people reefing these days ? :shrug:

Reef_kid 04-13-2022 07:23 AM

reefing

there are actually more people reefing than ever. there are more garage/basement sellers , and more reef shops. There is more online information on youtube and different forums. As well as a huge instagram/youtube community. The information needs to be accessible and easy to use. This site needs editing of the content and updating how posts are done. Making it more like the new reef central that just was relaunched. Maybe with some better graphics.

corallivore 04-13-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef_kid (Post 1053646)
there are actually more people reefing than ever. there are more garage/basement sellers , and more reef shops. There is more online information on youtube and different forums. As well as a huge instagram/youtube community. The information needs to be accessible and easy to use. This site needs editing of the content and updating how posts are done. Making it more like the new reef central that just was relaunched. Maybe with some better graphics.

I dunno.

In the GVRD there used to be Island Pets, Ocean Aquatics, Rogers Aquatics, Another one in Abbotsford who's name eludes me.

Now there is JL Aquatics, Fish Addicts, Aquariums West still left.

Canada Corals has opened since.

kien 04-13-2022 04:17 PM

In our local community (Calgary) it does not seem like there are more people reefing than ever. We have lost a lot of reefers over the past few years. Likely due to a combination of a lot of different things. Our retail situation has also tanked (pun intended). We used to have a decent selection of retailers to choose from. Now there's really just 3 and a half. It's kind of sad but it is what it is.