Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scott's 270g aka Project Mayhem (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96323)

denny_CC 03-31-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 807369)
I was just going to say that, the plywood is sealed onto the bottom pane for good. Reefwars, do you have any advice? I am assuming you're part of Concepts crew? I was thinking of making some extra wide shims and sliding them between the pink styro and the tanks plywood? Will the styro compress too much, rendering the shims useless?

Thanks for the help.

hey scott , yeah its denny here:)

basically remove any of the white shims between the tank and styrofoam and start to fill with water as it gets heavy it will settle provided your stand is plum and square and level.

also your silicone is on its way my buddy:)

ps....looking good man looking good this is gonna be a sweet build:)

cheers

denny
concept aquatics

gregzz4 03-31-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 807364)
removing the plywood is going to be impossible as we build the tank on it and seal it tight:)

OK - I kinda thought I saw silicone there :wink:

Yes, shimming between the tank ply and styro won't do anything
If Denny is comfortable with you filling it as is, go for it

I can see where shimming only the outside edges may pose a problem as there's no 'trim' that the glass is sitting on

Scythanith 03-31-2013 08:11 PM

Hey Denny,

The stand is square & plumb according to my 4 ft level and all the measurements. So I don't know where the little droop is coming from but if you're not concerned I will start filling it sometime this week and see how it settles.

Could you also send me a small piece of 1/2" glass the same size as the side of the external overflow? I need to replace the one I broke out.

Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by denny@conceptaquatics (Post 807373)
hey scott , yeah its denny here:)

basically remove any of the white shims between the tank and styrofoam and start to fill with water as it gets heavy it will settle provided your stand is plum and square and level.

also your silicone is on its way my buddy:)

ps....looking good man looking good this is gonna be a sweet build:)

cheers

denny
concept aquatics

denny_CC 03-31-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 807383)
Hey Denny,

The stand is square & plumb according to my 4 ft level and all the measurements. So I don't know where the little droop is coming from but if you're not concerned I will start filling it sometime this week and see how it settles.

Could you also send me a small piece of 1/2" glass the same size as the side of the external overflow? I need to replace the one I broke out.

Thanks again!

absolute send me the size of your box and i will have a piece made up for you:)

and yes i had dave look at the pic and he agreed its ok to fill :)

cheers buddy:)

denny_CC 03-31-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 807375)
OK - I kinda thought I saw silicone there :wink:

Yes, shimming between the tank ply and styro won't do anything
If Denny is comfortable with you filling it as is, go for it

I can see where shimming only the outside edges may pose a problem as there's no 'trim' that the glass is sitting on

with large tanks we build right on to the plywood, because of the strength of the silicone we use once cured removing it would be alot of work and would more than likely end up with chipping/shelling the glass.

the plywood base is used to ship safely and so the tank can be slid around untill its filled with no damage to the bottom.

for smaller tanks we build on a foam base.

Skimmerking 03-31-2013 08:43 PM

I would leave it and get some thicker foam thou.........

Myka 03-31-2013 08:54 PM

Nice looking build! I've always loved this 2-panes viewable style.

Scythanith 03-31-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 807388)
I would leave it and get some thicker foam thou.........

So what will the thicker foam (1") accomplish? Will it provide more compression than the 1/2"? Plus, I have calculated the space between the header and the tank pretty tight to fit in the return plumbing. If I take away a half inch things may get dicey.

I could switch if it's better for the tank in the long run.

Scott

Skimmerking 04-01-2013 12:58 AM

when you put water in there and Glass having no flex to a point. the Styrofoam will give that more support. so on heavier tanks thicker foam is used

Myka 04-01-2013 01:48 AM

I have no issues with the 1/2" styrofoam. Ask Dave or Denny which thickness they suggest.