Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Ponds & Koi (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Not related to reefing BUT I need HELP (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108653)

jason604 08-06-2014 07:20 PM

Not related to reefing BUT I need HELP

For the past week we been noticing more raccoon behavior around my koi pond than normal. They use to just come n take baths on the small stream we made to lead to the pond. We have a mesh covering the whole thing so it's never been a problem until recently that they smartened up n tore the net in certain areas that gives them easy access to the pond. Yestersay my dad notice one of our 12" koi was acting weird n there was a tear in the mesh n the water reaked so we fishes him out to medicate him thinking he's sick. Then today he died and after inspection we saw teeth puncture wounds on the underside of his belly!! Does any1 know of a good way to repel raccoon. We got a lot of high end koi fishes in our pond and would hate to see more go like that. Currently pointing a motion sensor light in the direction of the pond but that doesn't seem to scare them.

nerdz 08-06-2014 07:27 PM

I recall hearing of people using electric fences.... you can go to Princess Auto or a agricultural supply type store.

tlhood 08-06-2014 07:32 PM

some people deter them with ammonia, vinegar, epsom salts, moth balls...

Apparently they hate the smell of moth balls (which are toxic to small animals) and ammonia (soaked in a sponge or open bottle), and epsom salts (which apparently also help fertilize grass).

We don't have any racoons around here so I wouldn't know if these actually work. I believe there are also commercially sold racoon repellants.

WarDog 08-06-2014 07:35 PM

You could get a big dog!

jason604 08-06-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 908546)
You could get a big dog!

My big dog died last year =(. I got small dogs so poisons will be a nono. I can try hanging some bags of moth balls around the tank. My tank is about 18'x10' so I would need a ton of those electric fences n my pond would look hideous after. Any1 else have experience with getting rid of these jerks!!

TimT 08-06-2014 09:24 PM

Raccoons can do a lot of damage to a big dog. I wouldn't recommend a dog for raccoons.

Since raccoons are also a threat to your small dogs you may want to find out where they are getting into your yard and seal it off. You may need to run a hot wire on the top of any fencing to keep them out. They are very good climbers.

asylumdown 08-06-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimT (Post 908562)
Raccoons can do a lot of damage to a big dog. I wouldn't recommend a dog for raccoons.

Since raccoons are also a threat to your small dogs you may want to find out where they are getting into your yard and seal it off. You may need to run a hot wire on the top of any fencing to keep them out. They are very good climbers.

+1. Best is to keep them out of the yard period. Or invest in a large pet eagle and let nature take it's course.

jason604 08-06-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asylumdown (Post 908564)
+1. Best is to keep them out of the yard period. Or invest in a large pet eagle and let nature take it's course.

Lol that be so sick!!! I heard that they are scared of chayote urine. Anyone no where I can buy some of the synthic spray version?

toytech 08-06-2014 10:01 PM

Paint ball guns are quiet and deter a lot of things , wont kill them either , would recommend a 22 cal pellet gun but racoons aren't really good eating .

WarDog 08-06-2014 10:06 PM

Google 'CFHS', lots of good info on discouraging raccoons and other nuicense wildlife. I'd provide a link but my phone can't copy and paste.