Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How big before humidty problems? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127669)

Richard_Dicosimo 02-05-2019 07:19 PM

How big before humidty problems?

I am in the planning stages of a new tank and finally have the wife on board. I want to keep her on board. There will be no fishroom and that means no dedicated ventilation. I realize evap is directly related to surface area and to a degree lights used.

I am hoping for a 6'x24"x24'h tank
or even better would be a 6'x30"x24"h
OR EVEN Better 8'x30"x24"h but that is probably not in the cards.

am I going to have humidity problems from this tank? what do people who have large tanks do about humidity when they aren't able to directly exhaust outside?

I was planning on T5 MH combo. I don't know enough about LED to be confident in what I'm buying.

Thanks in advance!!

gmann 02-05-2019 10:35 PM

dehumidifier...

better yet would be to have a window in set room that is always open.

Frogger 02-05-2019 11:01 PM

I have a de-humidifier to keep my house at 50% relative humidity. Without it my humidity would be over 70% and the windows would be soaked and mold would grow.

However I live on the coast you are in Calgary you might be OK. I would see how it goes before purchasing a unit.

toxic111 02-06-2019 12:35 AM

The best, though not the cheapest option is a HRV & a/c for the summer. I know someone that had a fish business out of his basement, over 2000gal of tanks and his house was like going into a rainforest until he went with both... never had a problem afterwards..

Richard_Dicosimo 02-06-2019 05:52 AM

My house has hrv, and I'm planning an air conditioner this summer. I'm hoping that I won't have any problems. Leaving a window open full time is not an option. It was -40 with wind this morning lol.

FishyFishy! 02-06-2019 05:41 PM

In my fish room, I'm lucky enough to have a window that I can keep open. But in this cold, I had to shut it. Even with my dehumidifier running all of the windows on the main floor have steamed up and I also have ice on the window in the fish room.

I think that an HRV is the best for sure. If you already have one I'd think you'll be just fine.

hfp75 02-17-2019 12:03 AM

what year is your house ?

new houses that are all sealed up like a freezer bag will retain more humidity....

I had an old bungalow from the 50s and you could feel cold air coming in the electrical outlets...

Richard_Dicosimo 02-17-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfp75 (Post 1034362)
what year is your house ?.

2016. Well looks like I'm going to find out.

Pazil 02-17-2019 05:40 PM

Calgary is sooooo dry you likely will not have any problems with humidity. I would suggest to turn on your recirc fan for your furnace and just leave it run 24/7 if you dont already have it running all the time. That will move all the air in the house around. Also leave your blinds up a bit.

TimT 02-17-2019 06:07 PM

Having an HRV will help a lot.

If you have a heat pump some of them have dehumidifier mode.

If your going to run the furnace in circulation mode I would make sure it's at the lowest speed.

If your looking at installing an AC unit I'd recommend a ductless heat pump one. They will heat/cool and dehumidify.