Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   well... pretty much lost it all !! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34329)

Jim Barry 07-29-2007 09:48 PM

well... pretty much lost it all !!

I just got back from 10 days vacation...... and the worst has happened. I had someone checking the tank (the neighbour kid) and doing the usual maintenance, you know, feeding the fish, changing the filter socks, checking water level... the usual stuff. Given that I have a chiller, there was no need to tell him to watch the temperature, because there was no way my chiller would fail..... well you guessed it. I got home today to 95 degree water, dead fish, dead corals... especially all my sps that I have been growing for a few years now. The tank is nothing but stew. The good news is I have 2 Tangs that are still alive.... not happy, but still alive. There may be a few LPS that might make it, but it's too early to tell.

I got mad, I cried, I thought about blaming everyone I could think of..... and now I am just depressed. I don't know if I have it in me to start all over again. I have spent so much effort to get my tank to where it was.

I haven't decided yet, but there may be a huge sale of all my stuff in the next few days. I need to sleep on it before I decide.... until then I am going to get really drunk !!!!!

................I hate this F_______g hobby !!!!!

just thought I would share.....

Jim

christyf5 07-29-2007 10:00 PM

Man that sucks Jim, having just been there myself (well not quite as bad) I know exactly how you feel. I don't know if I'd have it in me to keep going after losing it all though. Hopefully your Calgary reef buddies will rally around you and get you back on your feet. Not much I can do from here but let me know if theres anything I can help out with.

My condolences :neutral:

michika 07-29-2007 10:28 PM

I am so so so sorry.

If you decide to stay in I would be more then happy to donate a few SPS frags the next time I'm in town, which is probably in a couple of weeks.

muck 07-29-2007 10:35 PM

Ahh Crap... Sorry to hear this Jim. :sad:
I really hope you do keep plugging away. It would be really sad to see you go.

Ryan.

untamed 07-29-2007 10:36 PM

Ah geez...I'm going on vacation for 10 days next week...95 degrees!!? That seems really, REALLY warm. Do you know what causes you tank to be so dependent on a chiller?

EmilyB 07-29-2007 10:44 PM

Oh man, that's just awful Jim. If we can help at all let me know. We've still got a 75g going that could possibly house a couple things.

Der_Iron_Chef 07-29-2007 10:46 PM

Jim:

Aww, man. There's really no consolation I can give that won't sound cliche.

If you need help cleaning up, whatever, let me know (651-3450). I could also "coral sit" some of the ones you think survived, until they get back to speed.

I don't do SPS, so I have nothing to donate...but I'll help if I can!

Neil 07-29-2007 11:18 PM

sorry to hear for your loss JIm. i myself am in calgary and just got back from 3 weeks vacation with NO chiller. i had a girl topping the water off thats it. Mind you i did have 1 cleaner shrimp die causing a near disaster. How warm is it inside your house? Again- sorry to hear about your reef

Ruth 07-29-2007 11:31 PM

Jim I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I know that I have also lost a number of SPS corals this summer due to heat and just being away so much and not being able to do proper maintenance. It sucks!

Snappy 07-29-2007 11:58 PM

Ouch Jim, that really sucks. Well assuming I still have a tank when I get back from the holiday I am on right now I can fix you up with some frags.
Just give me a call when ever you're ready.