Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Moving reef tank to USA (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79886)

Doug 11-08-2011 11:46 PM

Moving reef tank to USA

I have a friend who may be moving from here to the US. He would like to take the tank and all with him. I said not sure about the restrictions but likely permits required for corals? Is the rock fine, without any attached livestock?
Fish I imagine are ok to take?
Thanks

BlueWorldAquatic 11-09-2011 12:25 AM

He would require a Cites to re-export to the USA. Due to the fact that he would not have originating documentation entering Canada, that would make the Cites impossible. also you wouldn't want to spend the $$$ for it also. Exporting fish require a permit also. He would be looking at about $500 for permits alone.

Sell it all locally and get it new in the USA, much better selection anyhow. Not worth getting everything seized (car, etc...), and BIG fine, and possibly jail to keep the corals.

International borders are a pain in the "A".

Ken - BWA

howdy20012002 11-09-2011 03:58 AM

LR and most corals will require CITES for export.
I would suggest that he sells everyone and start fresh.. he could be opening a big kettle of problems with trying to bring stuff into the states.
I find the US is much more protective about allowing stuff into their country.
I personally wouldn't take the chance.
HTH
Neal

Doug 11-09-2011 10:44 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I will pass it on. Kind of what I had thought. I guess corals can be easily replaced and some fish but one is a 10yr. old Regal that we saved from certain death when a tiny baby and fighting terrible ick.

Just need to find him/her a good home.

Skimmerking 11-09-2011 10:47 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm regal that old brute

StirCrazy 11-09-2011 10:56 PM

I would have him call amarican customs befor he sells. is it realy exporting if your moving to the US and taking your fish tank with you? there might be an exception for pets and this could be classified that way as he is not a business and he is not shipping them for sale but rather they are acompaning him on a move.

Steve

BlueWorldAquatic 11-09-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 648990)
I would have him call amarican customs befor he sells. is it realy exporting if your moving to the US and taking your fish tank with you? there might be an exception for pets and this could be classified that way as he is not a business and he is not shipping them for sale but rather they are acompaning him on a move.

Steve

If that was the case, then what is stopping people "moving" with NEW livestock every 2 months?

US Customs is nothing like ours, they want to keep everything out, but you could always ask.

Fish/Corals are considered exotics, and require permits. They consider pets cats and dogs, and that is after vet checks and quarenteen.

StirCrazy 11-10-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic (Post 649008)

Fish/Corals are considered exotics, and require permits. They consider pets cats and dogs, and that is after vet checks and quarenteen.

could be, but no harm in calling and asking. I find there are a lot of things (not nessasarly fish releated) that people say you can't take into the US, but if the situation is right you can. who knows there may be a simple permit available you can pay 20 bucks for to make it ok.

as for dogs and cats no quarenteen if there shots are up to date and you have a vet certificate of helth. other wise anyone who takes there dog hollidaying with them in there RV wouldn't be able to. or when we go to belingham for a weekend they wouldn't have let us take our dog with us. they even let us take our food as I only bag up how much we need plus a day or two. now for a business importing dogs for sale and such this may be different.

Steve

brizzo 11-10-2011 08:23 PM

http://www.fws.gov/international/permits/pets.html

This page explains importing your pets into the USA, along with how to get a CITES permit to import your pets without the origin CITES documents

Vancouver Reefer 08-27-2014 05:13 PM

Moving reef tank to USA

Hi Doug,

I know this is an old thread, but how did your friend get on with his move to the US. Did he sell everything and buy new?