Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Camera recommendation? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77987)

doch 08-27-2011 05:01 PM

Camera recommendation?

I'm in the market for a new camera, and I want something that I can take good pics, very close up. I want to be able to take the kind of pics that really show off the colors of corals right up close. Can this be done with a point and shoot, or do I need something with replacable lenses?

doch 08-28-2011 04:09 PM

Anybody?

mike31154 08-28-2011 04:17 PM

Point & shoot are limited in their ability to provide good quality macro shots. For the best close ups you'll want a camera that can be fitted with a specialized macro lens, so yes, one with interchangeable lenses. This type of camera/lens will also allow you more options to limit the field of view and focus on the subject, keeping the background & surroundings more subdued. You're looking at minimum $600 for something decent, or look for a used one to save some bucks. Often there are folks with plenty of disposable income that are looking to sell a very good quality SLR in order to upgrade to the latest/greatest. If money is no object, then there's no point in even considering a point & click.

sphelps 08-28-2011 06:52 PM

Depends on your budget, many people do have success with P&S but the DSLR route really is better but it does come with a price. How much are you looking to spend?

doch 08-28-2011 07:24 PM

Yeah, I kind of figured that would be the case, but I was hoping that somebody out there was having success with a good point and shoot... ideally one that can go under water.

I haven't set a budget yet... I just want to get some ideas first and go from there. $600 doesn't scare me... but I don't know if I'd want to go much higher than that.

Here's the next question: Being that I know nothing about the tech behind photography, will I be OK to start with a DSLR? They seem pretty advanced from the few times that I've played with them. Would I be smart to take a photography class?

Starry 08-29-2011 06:03 AM

Ive found my sony cybershot dsc-tx10 to take pretty good macros, and its submersable. also takes HD video. pretty sure i have some pics i took with it in my gallery

Blom 08-29-2011 01:04 PM

doch, Ive had my DSLR for close to 2 years now and to be honest I still dont know all that much about using it. To be fair I dont use it as much as I should, nor have I spent to much time reading up on it. That being said the picture quality is unreal and I wouldn't want to snap pictures with anything else.

Blom 08-29-2011 01:40 PM

Sorry forgot to mention the camera lol. It is an Olympus E-620. I know a few years ago it was over $1000 but I have noticed that the price of DSLR cameras has come way down. You can pick up a Canon EOS Rebel T3 for just over 500 bucks now from bestbuy.

StirCrazy 08-29-2011 02:22 PM

take a look at the cannon EOS series, I have the 12.something MP one and an very impressed with it but I did spend close to 8 to 900.00 but it came with two lense and such. doe 750 costco has the 15.something mp with a external flash bag ect but no extra lense, which you would have to look at buying anyways with any DLSR for good macro stuff.

some people like the nikon also I don't know much about it though...

Steve

sphelps 08-29-2011 02:29 PM

It'll almost be easier to use a DSLR these days compared to a P&S. Take a look at the entry level nikons, the D3100 for example sells for $600 with a lens and this camera can take great pictures on it's own with all it's auto features. Plus it has a built in guide to teach you more advanced features. Just keep in mind that this camera will need AF-I and AF-S lenses unless you want to focus manually, probably not a big deal as all new lenses are but if you're looking to save a few bucks by using the older style then that's something to consider.