Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   clownfish aggression... any way to reduce it? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66763)

blueworm 07-28-2010 07:53 PM

clownfish aggression... any way to reduce it?

My new clown fish pair are being aggressive towards a smaller black clown fish which has been living in my tank for years.

I was just wondering if there is any tricks to reduce the aggression of the clownfish. My tank is not stocked at all, it has a black clown, bicolour blenny, pink spot goby.

Thanks please post anything that will help here.

Milad 07-28-2010 07:58 PM

how big is the tank?

reefwars 07-28-2010 08:09 PM

You can try changing around your aquascaping a bit but fact of the matter is clowns don't really get along with other clown species, even if they do good for while they could still fight later.

Zoaelite 07-28-2010 08:12 PM

If the tank is large enough I might try adding another black clown, what species are we talking about?

Wayne 07-29-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milad (Post 538182)
how big is the tank?

+1

They need quite a bit of room so they can have there own territories. What kind of corals are there for the clowns to host?

mike31154 07-29-2010 05:05 AM

Throw a Maroon Clownfish in there, he/she will sort them all out... Just kidding. Unless your tank is very large, it's generally a gamble when trying to mix a bunch of different clownfish in there. The only solution might end up being removal of one of the species.

blueworm 07-29-2010 05:11 PM

It is not very large. A 33gallon tank.

paddyob 07-29-2010 05:15 PM

33 Gallon

Too small. You should only have one pair of clowns in there. The black one is probably going to end up dead sooner or later.

You should always research before adding fish. This way you can avoid potentially killing a fish.

blueworm 07-29-2010 05:17 PM

Ive kept 4 clowns in there before all with no trouble. I know that clownfish are aggressive but i am asking if there is any way to reduce the aggression. I went to the pet store the guy told me adding more fish might be able to spread the aggression.

paddyob 07-29-2010 05:22 PM

Possible

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm (Post 538403)
Ive kept 4 clowns in there before all with no trouble. I know that clownfish are aggressive but i am asking if there is any way to reduce the aggression. I went to the pet store the guy told me adding more fish might be able to spread the aggression.

Who knows.... its your call. Your tank. I dont know many people with different types of clowns in their tanks. Your tank is only 33 gallon so adding has limits. My occelaris clown pair never even look at my other fish. I don't think that would solve the problem.

I had 2 pink skunk clowns living alone in my second smaller tank for a year.... and last week... the larger one killed the other. And skunks are usually docile.

Adding more fish? I would think removing the black one or the new clowns.

What kind of clowns did you add? Maybe its the species.