Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do you deal with humidity from your tank? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114273)

CastawayReef 05-27-2015 04:57 AM

How do you deal with humidity from your tank?

Hi Reefers!

I'm dealing with some humidity issues with my 120 castaway reef. My tank is in the basement and if I don't run my dehumidifier the RH can reach 71%.

The 70 pint danby dehumidifier I have runs constantly and raises room temperature a few degrees and is loud.

My question is how do you deal with humidity from your reef tank? Totally closing the tank top and sump with cover will work bit no gas exhange.

Any ideas?

rayjay 05-27-2015 11:19 AM

Well I had a lot more tanks so I installed an HRV.

Dearth 05-27-2015 11:48 AM

Being as I have a lot of evaporation from my tank as it gets very hot where my tank is placed you would think I would have high humidity but my tank is surrounded by plants that actually take a lot of the moisture out of the air best humidifier going IMO

mark 05-27-2015 12:18 PM

HRV for the excess in winter and the AC during the warm times keeps the house cool so not relying on evap cooling and what moisture I have condenses out with the AC.

corpusse 05-27-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 951633)
Being as I have a lot of evaporation from my tank as it gets very hot where my tank is placed you would think I would have high humidity but my tank is surrounded by plants that actually take a lot of the moisture out of the air best humidifier going IMO

This is interesting.

After a few years you will get used to the dehumidifier hum and increased temp.

sphelps 05-27-2015 01:08 PM

If you have forced air heating turn your fan on so it circulates the air in the house. That alone will make a significant difference in basement humidity.

daplatapus 05-27-2015 01:09 PM

I have an HRV as well with a dehumidistat in my canopy and in my fish room controlling it.

i have crabs 05-27-2015 01:34 PM

If your basement isn't finished a bathroom fan can vent out a lot of the extra moisture

hfp75 05-27-2015 02:58 PM

I run my blower on the furnace to move air in the house. We also have an exhaust fan that I run. Recently I bought a Danby 40L / day dehumidifier and it runs in my utility room 24/7 with a drain hose to the floor drain. I'd like a larger dehumidifier, this one is a bit small but better than nothing...

This is a 5 yr house.... If we ever build, I'll put a dehumidifier in the furnace or a vent to dump humid air from the tank area outside.... This is prob the easiest...

Myka 05-27-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 951637)
If you have forced air heating turn your fan on so it circulates the air in the house. That alone will make a significant difference in basement humidity.

That's what I do. We don't have a basement, but we keep the furnace fan on 24/7 for air circulation, plus it filters the air. :)