Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help with apex Jr network round 7! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105248)

windcoast reefs 02-27-2014 08:38 AM

Help with apex Jr network round 7!

Okay so I bought an apex jr 2 years ago to help monitor my tank, but I cannot remotely access the controller.

It works fine in the network, but not on 3g.

So here is my setup.
There is my main router that runs into the house (can't disable wifi since other people use it) which the branches to my router. My apex is hooked yo my router.

Now I have port forwarded through the main router (my router is as well) and the port is open, but I can't seem to connect my apex.

Any suggestions?

Wheelman76 02-27-2014 08:49 AM

This is probably not the advice youre looking for , but if no one else on here gives you specific instructions on how to do it , then give Neptune a call. They have great customer service and walked me through the process over the phone, as I was having some problems getting mine to work too.

windcoast reefs 02-27-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelman76 (Post 883139)
This is probably not the advice youre looking for , but if no one else on here gives you specific instructions on how to do it , then give Neptune a call. They have great customer service and walked me through the process over the phone, as I was having some problems getting mine to work too.

Thanks for the advice, worth a shot.

makana 02-28-2014 12:22 AM

you are running a router off a router? If that is the case then you are double routing as well as double NATing and double PATing. I doubt you will be able to get it to work in that configuration.

Can you run it off the main router? Do you need to be routing a second time? Can you configure the router port the apex is on to be a DMZ?

spit.fire 02-28-2014 05:57 AM

is it a shaw wifi router/modem? model Cisco DPC3825? if so good luck haha

reefermadness 02-28-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

It works fine in the network, but not on 3g.
This statement doesnt make sense to me. I think you are saying it works fine locally on your network but not over the internet? Or do you have some sort of cellular adapter for your apex?

windcoast reefs 02-28-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 883310)
is it a shaw wifi router/modem? model Cisco DPC3825? if so good luck haha

No its a telus router. Doesn't get anywhere near the coverage I need so I had to get another router. I can't really get by it since the modem/router from telus only has 2 outputs on it which are both used.

windcoast reefs 02-28-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefermadness (Post 883330)
This statement doesnt make sense to me. I think you are saying it works fine locally on your network but not over the internet? Or do you have some sort of cellular adapter for your apex?

I can access it within my network, but I cannot access it remotely through my cell (on 3g) or from another network.

windcoast reefs 02-28-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makana (Post 883253)
you are running a router off a router? If that is the case then you are double routing as well as double NATing and double PATing. I doubt you will be able to get it to work in that configuration.

Can you run it off the main router? Do you need to be routing a second time? Can you configure the router port the apex is on to be a DMZ?

Only thing I could try it to find an adaptor that will split the ethernet cable. Ill look around town for something.

nerdz 02-28-2014 08:11 PM

Can you call Telus and have them Bridge your modem/router, making it a modem only. then plug it into your wireless router?

I did this with SHAW

reefermadness 02-28-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windcoast reefs (Post 883402)
I can access it within my network, but I cannot access it remotely through my cell (on 3g) or from another network.

If I understand correctly, you just mean the Internet, 3G or cellular really has nothing to do with it. It's simply the medium you are using to access the internet.

If it's working on you local network/intranet than I'm thinki.g you maybe need to do port forwarding on your router.

uniboob 02-28-2014 08:22 PM

You are connecting to your LAN( local area network) at home, connecting from anywhere other then your house you need to open ports on your WAN (the outside world connection)

Your local ip will be something like 192.168.0.50 or whatever

Your outside ip can be found my going to www.yougetsignal.com
Also you can check ports to see if forwarded properly.

windcoast reefs 03-01-2014 07:10 PM

Okay so just to be clear about what I've done.

I have connected my apex to the modem directly now. I have port forwarded the ports I need. I have checked that the ports forwarding is working, which it is. I can access the Web page and Android app if I'm connected to the local network the apex is on.

The problem of not being able to access the apex Web page or app still occurs when I'm outside of my network, either using wifi of using the data connection on my smartphone or tablet.

I called apex and they tried to help, but ended up none of there suggestion worked. They ended up recommending I switch service providers.

Aquattro 03-01-2014 07:33 PM

Jake, what is the IP you are trying to connect to?

windcoast reefs 03-01-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 883584)
Jake, what is the IP you are trying to connect to?

makana 03-01-2014 07:41 PM

What port have you forwarded? Have you tried a different one?

If the second router was just to extend the wireless signal then there was no reason to use it as a router. In almost every consumer router available you can turn off the routing and the dhcp and simply use it as a switch/wireless AP.

What telus device have you connected it to? More information will make it easier to help you. It is will known that telus blocks common ports for security reasons so you can't use the default port.

Why would you need to split the ethernet cable? You say the telus router only has two outputs, I have never seen one with less than four. Sometimes you call it a router, sometimes you call it a modem. Telus has used both configurations and both are different animals. If I am going to be able to help I need you to be very clear.

Aquattro 03-01-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windcoast reefs (Post 883585)

no reply on that at all.

Aquattro 03-01-2014 07:46 PM

does this help?

http://portforward.com/english/route...Controller.htm

windcoast reefs 03-01-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makana (Post 883586)
What port have you forwarded? Have you tried a different one?

If the second router was just to extend the wireless signal then there was no reason to use it as a router. In almost every consumer router available you can turn off the routing and the dhcp and simply use it as a switch/wireless AP.

What telus device have you connected it to? More information will make it easier to help you. It is will known that telus blocks common ports for security reasons so you can't use the default port.

Why would you need to split the ethernet cable? You say the telus router only has two outputs, I have never seen one with less than four. Sometimes you call it a router, sometimes you call it a modem. Telus has used both configurations and both are different animals. If I am going to be able to help I need you to be very clear.

Ive tried a variety of ports, everything from 443, 6400, 8800, 8900, 8120 and so on (probably 30 different ones, all that i've used before and had success with other decvices)

Sorry I wasn't clear on what I was doing with the second router. I currently have the dhcp off and it is running as a range extender using wireless repeating.

By router I meant to say router/modem combo.

Ive got a new telus router/modem being installed on monday (actiontec v1000h). Currently I have an actiontec VDSL2 which was installed just before christmas.

It looks like it could have the ability to plug up to 4 ethernet cables into it, however 2 of them have plastic covers over the hole where the ports would be.

windcoast reefs 03-01-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 883592)
no reply on that at all.

Okay so thats the current ip from whatismyip.com.

Kinda weird that it had no response

makana 03-01-2014 08:07 PM

Telus carries two actiontech routers, v1000h and v2000h. Both are VDSL2 devices. There should be a sticker that would give the exact model number of the one you have. Why are you having a new one installed Monday?

The ports on the back should all be labled. Typically you see a WAN port, four LAN ports, a coax hpna connection and one or two DSL connections that fit phone cords, not ethernet.

If you have the v2000h then it may be more complicated as that is actually used for two seperate DSL signals bonded together.

If the address you posted is still current then the only relevent port I see open is 5431.

makana 03-01-2014 08:09 PM

You could log in to your telus router and it should give you your current public IP on the main page. You could also paste a screen shot of your port forwarding setup, blur out the port number if you wish.

windcoast reefs 03-01-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makana (Post 883598)
Telus carries two actiontech routers, v1000h and v2000h. Both are VDSL2 devices. There should be a sticker that would give the exact model number of the one you have. Why are you having a new one installed Monday?

The ports on the back should all be labled. Typically you see a WAN port, four LAN ports, a coax hpna connection and one or two DSL connections that fit phone cords, not ethernet.

If you have the v2000h then it may be more complicated as that is actually used for two seperate DSL signals bonded together.

If the address you posted is still current then the only relevent port I see open is 5431.

Sorry I looked at the wrong tag, its the V2000h, I have no idea why a new one is being installed. I got a call from telus 2 weeks ago saying they needed to change my router/modem.

Yes the ports on the back are labelled. I have 1 wan port, 2 lan ports, 2 covered lan ports and coax, and 2 ports that look like they would fit a phone line.

Yeah that Ip is still current, ill try switching over to port 5431.

makana 03-01-2014 08:41 PM

I wouldnt use that port if its not the port you setup. How is the v2000 connected to telus? It sounds like it is not by the phone lines, which is how that device was meant to be used and possibly why they are coming back to change it.

Rice Reef 03-02-2014 12:33 AM

Jake, I've tried everything and have given up. I am now hoping they Apex's new Fusion program will work and if not will switch back to Shaw.

windcoast reefs 03-02-2014 01:09 AM

Okay so i've given up on the port forward thing again.

Currently i'm just using a remote desktop connection which seems to be at least allowing me access to the info, even if its a little slower than the app.

Hopefully apex fusion will fix this issue.

Thanks for all your help!

Aquattro 03-02-2014 01:22 AM

You home tonight?