Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   destroyed vacation and tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106704)

darkreef 04-24-2014 06:46 AM

destroyed vacation and tank

I moved away from my ocean , my family everything .
To start a life in Alberta . When I got home sick I sat by my tank .

Monday I left my tank in the care of my in-laws .
I went back to cape Breton for a few days to see my family for the first time in three years.

Tonight something bad happened . Worse then I could ever imagion .

The only thing they had to do was put water in the auto top off every four days and add pelts .

They didn't ask permission and started steam cleaning my floors .
I left the apartment in mint condition , super clean .

Some how they poured the bleached and soap water into the sump tank of my aquarium .

At first I was like ok keep calm , drain the auto top off department. Wash it out .

No they added it right to the sump ... They had no business adding anything to the tank .I don't understand what happened . There instructions where simple.

I'm not there I can't take everything out ... Thousands of dollars .burnt in smoke .
I'm destroyed . I'm hoping to call the pet store tomorrow and asking them to take anything that's alive until I get home .

First time home and this happens . They could never understand why I spent so much money on a fish tank ... They never understood what it ment to me. My ocean,my rock that kept me strong when I was home sick .

It took me years to finally set up this beautiful tank . Only two months ago I added everything . And thew is not enough water on tap to my a emergancy qt.

:( hope everyone is having a better night then me .
Sorry for the typos I cant see much out of my eyes .

Slyguy00 04-24-2014 06:58 AM

Im sorry to hear that. Pretty amazing how brainless some people are.

freeze 04-24-2014 07:25 AM

Pm'd

Dearth 04-24-2014 07:26 AM

Never are the right words for that at least not printable here.....

darkreef 04-24-2014 07:32 AM

It was the only thing I had that kept me sane .
Iv never seen 10 grand burn up so fast .
My heart hurts . I don't even clean in my apartment with anything but vinegar .
For my cats and tanks sake . (Cat has allergies that effect his eyes)

That tank was part of the family , each coral and fish had a meaning and purpose .
It felt like I lost my entire family. Going to be very hard to finish my vacation .
I'm just glad I'm around the people I love.. but that only fills the hole so long .

All they had to do was put fresh water in the auto top off , I don't understand how someone could screw that up .

WarDog 04-24-2014 11:22 AM

Wow. Just wow. So very sorry for your loss. Shocking thread to read.

mark 04-24-2014 01:05 PM

What was their thinking though? Seems just to big of a mistake to make.

darkreef 04-24-2014 01:21 PM

Some updates , they were up till 6 this morning emptying the sump.
I recommend primer for this case ... Because I only have 15 gallons in storage .
There going to buy heaters and get the sump to temperature . Before starting the pumps.

No update on live stock ...
I really thought I'd wake up and this be just a bad nightmare .

All I dreamt about last night was my happy cowfish ... Not so happy .

corpusse 04-24-2014 01:30 PM

I'm really sorry this happened to you, but unless they are mentally disabled this was a deliberate attack on you.

Maybe you don't want to discuss this on a forum but you mention inlaws, and how they never understood how you'd spend money on the tank. Without any knowledge of the situation I would guess they don't like you married to their child or just hate you for some other reason.

Again real sorry this happened, I can't imagine how devastating. I know this is Canada, not America, but maybe you can consider taking legal action against them? No idea if you would have any kind of case (when you hire a tanksitter they usually have insurance), but this is not some kind of mistake, its a malicious attack on you, and what you love.

canadianbudz604 04-24-2014 01:39 PM

Wtf?

I don't understand how they could be so dumb to pour bleach/dirt water in the sump. Is it supposed to be some weird joke? I wouldn't have in laws anymore if they did some dumb **** like that. Man I don't understand what the hell they were thinking.