Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What are the main contributing factors in a Cyno outbreak? Fix? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41831)

angelfan 05-02-2008 09:12 PM

What are the main contributing factors in a Cyno outbreak? Fix?

Looking for ideas to treat a recent cyno outbreak. Its in my 20 gal which has been stable for some time but I just moved. Nothing has been negatively affected but it won't go away and I don't really want to do a blackout. Is it phosphate? Any ideas are appreciated.

Zoaelite 05-02-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelfan (Post 321953)
Looking for ideas to treat a recent cyno outbreak. Its in my 20 gal which has been stable for some time but I just moved. Nothing has been negatively affected but it won't go away and I don't really want to do a blackout. Is it phosphate? Any ideas are appreciated.

How old are the bulbs? Over 10 months and the chance of them contributing to nuisince algea is much higher.

angelfan 05-02-2008 09:35 PM

at least a year. I thought you change them to enhance color? I didn't know they could cause algae blooms. Is this why everyone changes them and what do I do with the other bulb? also do you know if phosphates could play a role? They are higher than usual

Drock169 05-02-2008 11:07 PM

Most people change them because the lighting temperature, K, slowly changes over time, temps near 6500K or less seem to promote algae growth.

Pan 05-02-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelfan (Post 321953)

Something die you can't see...or have not noticed?

mseepman 05-02-2008 11:33 PM

I've been experiencing the same thing and the only idea I have as to what caused it was changing my lights. I recently modded an Aqualight pro to have the MH plus 4 T5HO's rather than the PC suppliments. When I went to get the T5HO bulbs, Mike at hidden reef convinced me to try some new ones he had (50K) and I'm suspicious that they are causing the problem.

spreerider 05-03-2008 12:10 AM

lights not only shift colour but they lose more then 50% of their light output in the first year, at least Flourescent lamps, MH keep brightness longer but lose their peak wavelengths and become a more ballanced light that turns more yellow and grows algea better.

mseepman 05-03-2008 01:16 AM

But do you think new lights in a spectrum we don't usually use (really high at 50k) would cause this?

angelfan 05-03-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy (Post 321972)
Something die you can't see...or have not noticed?

Nothing died, that I can find

angelfan 05-03-2008 02:08 AM

Maybe I'll pick up a new bulb and give that a try. Thanks for the help