Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dosing nitrate (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115903)

Myka 09-16-2015 01:22 AM

Dosing nitrate

Who's dosing nitrate? Please share your recipes, dosing, and experiences. :)

Myka 09-16-2015 01:28 AM

I make a stock solution using 30 grams sodium nitrate into 500 mL RO/DI water. If I dose 1/2 tsp into my tank (about 80 gallons total volume including displacement from rock, etc) it raises nitrate about 1 ppm. May tank is too young to really post any observations.

I have dosed nitrate in past tanks which I've found helps lower phosphate if the tank was previously nitrate limited. I also find SPS corals to be more colorful at 1-5 ppm nitrate rather than "0".

dcw1sfu 09-16-2015 01:53 AM

Any idea how the seachem flourish nitrate and phosphate products are? I've found that I might have to dose some phosphate as I'm in the opposite boat 0 phosphate on a hanna and about 10 nitrate. I stopped dosing vinegar ad i foind i was having a few problems and started running all in one biopellets and now this is where I'm at with phosphate and nitrates.

On a side note my tank has never looked this clean and haven't cleaned the glass in a week.

Myka 09-16-2015 01:56 AM

I know some people that use the Seachem products, and I've used the Flourish Nitrogen myself. I couldn't find these products recently, so I ordered NaNO3 from a science company in the US. It's much cheaper than using Flourish.

I've been at 0 ppb on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus kit until today I finally hit 6 ppb (0.006 ppm). Phosphate is easy to increase - just feed the crap out of the fish. Why don't you switch back to normal biopellets?

dcw1sfu 09-16-2015 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 964359)
I know some people that use the Seachem products, and I've used the Flourish Nitrogen myself. I couldn't find these products recently, so I ordered NaNO3 from a science company in the US. It's much cheaper than using Flourish.

I've been at 0 ppb on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus kit until today I finally hit 6 ppb (0.006 ppm). Phosphate is easy to increase - just feed the crap out of the fish. Why don't you switch back to normal biopellets?

Was hoping to emiminate the use of GFO which i did. I feed alot pellets twice a day via neptune feeder and then frozen at night as well as nori every other day. Also dose red sea reef energy.

Started kalkwasser again recently (still dosing 2 part as well) which may also be contrubing to the elimination of phosphates. Figure maybe dosong a bit of phosphates might get my nitrates a little lower.

Myka 09-16-2015 02:48 AM

Which checker are you using? The ULR Phosphorus or the Phosphate?

dcw1sfu 09-16-2015 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 964374)
Which checker are you using? The ULR Phosphorus or the Phosphate?

ULR Phosphorus

Myka 09-16-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw1sfu (Post 964385)
ULR Phosphorus

I think if you remove the phosphate reducing agents you're using that will solve the problem.

dcw1sfu 09-16-2015 04:45 PM

Only direct phosphate reducer I'm using is the all in one biopellets. When I used regular biopellets in the past nitrates were low but required GFO to get the phosphates down. I'm trying to avoid using GFO separately.

Craigdillman 09-16-2015 10:10 PM

ill give you some of my water and you can dose that lol

wish i had that problem of 0ppm nitrate 0ppm phosphate.... soon soon