Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cites permit and corals (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13087)

Tarolisol 01-07-2005 10:26 PM

Cites permit and corals

Well ive been looking into the cites permit because i was hoping to bring some corals back with me when i go to the states, I couldnt find a price for the permit but i did find alot of interesting things. First of all if im reading it right you DO NOT need a permit to import most corals including acros, only the exporting country needs the permit. This is because hard corals are classified under appendix II of cites with means only the exporting country needs the permit. For stuff under appendix I then both parties, import and export, need the permit. With this said would i be able to bring corals over the boarder?

Aquattro 01-07-2005 10:30 PM

No, because you'd be exporting from the US. There is where the permit gets you.

Willow 01-07-2005 10:42 PM

i think you need a fido (sp?) permit from ag canada.

Tarolisol 01-07-2005 10:45 PM

It also states you would need the exporting permit to be from the original exporter so if it is not collected in the states then you dont need the stats one you need the origin to have one. Also if the SPS coral is aquacultred or cultured and you can prove it then you can bring it in. So a frag from someones colony in the aquarium would be allowed across the border with proof of it being aquacultred, which apparently a picture of the mother colony in the aquarium would work.

dirtyreefer 01-08-2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef_raf
No, because you'd be exporting from the US. There is where the permit gets you.

That's why most online retailers like themarinecenter, liveaquaria or marinedepot do not ship corals to Canada, simply because there isn't a large enough Canadian market to justify getting a permit.

I only wish though!

zulu_principle 01-08-2005 03:57 AM

The reason most dont ship is not due to the size of the canadian market, it is more the cost of the cites, fish and wildlife inspection and the labour associated with completing these tasks for a $500 order would not make much business $ense.

JMHEO

Wendell

kris_willard 01-08-2005 06:31 AM

Zoanthoids are COMPLETELY unregulated, I have spoke directly with CITIES, fish and wildlife and also i believe it is food and safety? I am 100% sure that if you found some you like that these are completely leagal to bring agcross the border.

StirCrazy 01-08-2005 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris_willard
Zoanthoids are COMPLETELY unregulated, I have spoke directly with CITIES, fish and wildlife and also i believe it is food and safety? I am 100% sure that if you found some you like that these are completely leagal to bring agcross the border.

unless they are attached to a chunk of live rock. :mrgreen:

Steve

kris_willard 01-08-2005 06:39 AM

As long as that live rock was aquacultured...your good to go...the exact word from the border office and fish and wildlife was "if they write on the bag the species and that it was aquacultured you will be fine".

Tarolisol 01-08-2005 07:05 AM

Well if and when i go i am going to take my chances bringing some sps frags back. I figure the worst that can happen is they say no. Then i turn around go to a different crossing and hide them in my trunk :lol: