Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Good thing Im using ULNS (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116701)

Reefer Rob 11-14-2015 04:23 PM

Some algae can be impossible to get rid of no matter what you do. Your corals may die of starvation before you put a dint in the algae.

I would try to get your hands on some Algafix. It's not available in Canada, but when I had my nasty algae problem I ordered it through amazon.ca

Aquattro 11-14-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer Rob (Post 969732)
I would try to get your hands on some Algafix. It's not available in Canada, but when I had my nasty algae problem I ordered it through amazon.ca

I read an article on this stuff, sounded like a good product.

Doug 11-14-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw1sfu (Post 969664)
If it is Bryopsis alot of people have had success getting rid of it through the use of Kent Tech M and elevating there magnesium to the 1700 range and in some cases higher. Do a search there are alot of success stories.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will raise my magnesium. I assume it does not have to be Kent,s product. Mines from BRS.
Would a product like this Algafix not hurt my sps also ? Im going to RC and see if more info on it.

Other than that is the solution to throw all the rock out? If so I need to do it before my sps starts to encrust off their plugs.

Aquattro 11-14-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 969738)
Thanks for all the comments guys. I will raise my magnesium. I assume it does not have to be Kent,s product. Mines from BRS.
Would a product like this Algafix not hurt my sps also ? Im going to RC and see if more info on it.

Other than that is the solution to throw all the rock out? If so I need to do it before my sps starts to encrust off their plugs.

It does have to be the Kent Tech M product.

Doug 11-14-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 969741)
It does have to be the Kent Tech M product.

Oh. Weird. Must be something in it then.

Aquattro 11-14-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 969742)
Oh. Weird. Must be something in it then.

Apparently, and nobody knows what, as far as I've seen :)

I have used peroxide to spot remove bryopsis, but that would be tough with a full garden.

Reefer Rob 11-14-2015 05:05 PM

Coralfix didn't hurt the SPS directly. It also killed any phito-plankton in the tank so the water becomes kind of sterile, and skimmate changes quite a bit. I wouldn't use it regularly like the bottle recommends, just until the algae is under control.

Doug 11-14-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer Rob (Post 969746)
Coralfix didn't hurt the SPS directly. It also killed any phito-plankton in the tank so the water becomes kind of sterile, and skimmate changes quite a bit. I wouldn't use it regularly like the bottle recommends, just until the algae is under control.

Do you mean Algafix or is this another product ?

Doug 11-14-2015 05:25 PM

Well I just ordered both. Hopefully something works. Anyone know if I can try the Algafix after raising magnesium?

:cry: Finally get all my corals just right and then this. Think Im cursed.

Proteus 11-14-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanerickson (Post 969657)
Defenetly the ulns part is not working in my opinion prodibio does not work that great I used it for 6 plus months it made no difference. I was doing the whole system I think 5 different bottles.

I use prodibio with great results but... I took a lot of reading. What I found best is a modified program. Prodibio does not contain a carbon source. The Bioptim is strictly a amino and trace supplement. (the same as zeofood food)
So. I still use the biodigest, substituted the Bioptim for zeofood and added a carbon source of zeo start. This accompanied buy a huge skimmer I have effectively brought no3 and po4 levels to a super low levels.
To the point I have been adding some skimmer (tablespoon) back to tank periodically to raise nutrients.

I am currently battling some valonia but am using peroxide to kill it. I'm not sure if the spores are still able to seed from there on but it is making a huge impact