Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Bicolor/Royal Dottyback - Anyone have one in a 72G with no problems? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47332)

Carmen 12-10-2008 06:42 PM

Bicolor/Royal Dottyback - Anyone have one in a 72G with no problems?

I am picking up a fish that came with a royal dottyback from another reefer - PACKAGE DEAL!
So I am hesitant to put a dottyback in my tank for fear it will harass all future additions to the tank.
Anyone think these fish are okay and worth taking a chance on it? I doubt I will be able to catch it once it's in so I need to make a decision before I add it tonight!

To the DISPLAY or To the SUMP?

Carmen

ponokareefer 12-10-2008 07:08 PM

I have my orchid dottyback in with 2 tangs, 2 cinnamon clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, a flame angel and 3 green chromis's, and he is typically hiding unless it is feeding time. I have never seen him attack or be at all aggressive to anyone. I added the clowns, a tang, the cardinals, and the chromis's after the dottyback, and I have never seen him go after anyone. I did have a randall's goby for about a year until he went missing in action, but never saw the 2 of them fight.

Carmen 12-10-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponokareefer (Post 367415)
I have my orchid dottyback in with 2 tangs, 2 cinnamon clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, a flame angel and 3 green chromis's, and he is typically hiding unless it is feeding time. I have never seen him attack or be at all aggressive to anyone. I added the clowns, a tang, the cardinals, and the chromis's after the dottyback, and I have never seen him go after anyone. I did have a randall's goby for about a year until he went missing in action, but never saw the 2 of them fight.

Thanks Ponokareefer although from what I have read the orchid is less agressive than the royal?? Correct me if I am wrong?

I would love to keep this little fishy but don'y want to regret adding a little hellion.:wink:

Carmen

MikeP 12-10-2008 08:24 PM

I've heard they can be quite aggressive but I've never kept one so I don't know from experience. Here is a

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pse...pseudochromis/

HTH

Skimmerking 12-10-2008 10:26 PM

mine killed my 2 anthias that i had.

X-Treme 12-10-2008 11:57 PM

nevermind....tried to delete my post but can't i guess.

lastlight 12-11-2008 12:48 AM

Mine was with a lawnmower, 2 tomatoes and some chromis. Never harmed anyone at all. Only concern in the world was making sure no pods survived in my display. Trust me none did!

I will say tho that the other fish ran away from my large tomatoe when he was defending his turf. The orchid didn't seem to care.

midgetwaiter 12-11-2008 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 367523)
Mine was with a lawnmower, 2 tomatoes and some chromis. Never harmed anyone at all. Only concern in the world was making sure no pods survived in my display. Trust me none did!

I will say tho that the other fish ran away from my large tomatoe when he was defending his turf. The orchid didn't seem to care.

Orchid dottybacks are the least aggressive of the bunch except maybe the olive, your experience is typical. The dottyback Carmen is asking about is a Pacific species and quite rough on tank mates. In other words, IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Carmen, if you have a 50g + tank you will probably not have a big problem. The fish will pick out and defend a territory but there is lots of room for others. In a smaller tank it wouldn't be a good idea.

lastlight 12-11-2008 07:40 AM

Thanks for the clarification...

Get an Orchid!

Carmen 12-11-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetwaiter (Post 367650)
Orchid dottybacks are the least aggressive of the bunch except maybe the olive, your experience is typical. The dottyback Carmen is asking about is a Pacific species and quite rough on tank mates. In other words, IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Carmen, if you have a 50g + tank you will probably not have a big problem. The fish will pick out and defend a territory but there is lots of room for others. In a smaller tank it wouldn't be a good idea.

REALLY - I have a 72 with plenty of "hiding" spots and would love to keep him. Do you think it's worth a try?
Anyone have a royal dottyback in a 72G tank?