Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anemone? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47404)

Barrett.Oliver 12-12-2008 07:26 PM

Anemone?

:mrgreen: Happy Friday everyone!! :mrgreen:

I have been throwing around the idea of picking up an anemone for my tank in the future. I have a couple questions for those who are interested in helping.

1. Would an anemone be happy in a 30 gallon tank?
2.What type of anemone would be happy in that size tank? (I quite like the BTAs, but I love anemones in general)

Many thanks in advance for those who have some input!

-Barrett Oliver

MikeP 12-12-2008 08:16 PM

I had a small GBTA in my 30g tank. I was lucky he didn't move around too much. You will want to try to isolate him to one area or rock if you can. What lighting do you have?

Carmen 12-12-2008 08:17 PM

MikeP has some small GBTA to sell. I recently picked one up (my first nem!) and am so happy with it! Great metallic green coloring!
That's all I have to add as I am a new nem owner myself!

Keri 12-12-2008 08:30 PM

What kind of lighting do you run?

noirsphynx 12-12-2008 08:34 PM

I don't have an anemone but what about the rock flower anemone's? I think they might be a good choice for the smaller tank as I'm pretty sure they are a smaller anemone.

MikeP 12-12-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmen (Post 368121)
MikeP has some small GBTA to sell. I recently picked one up (my first nem!) and am so happy with it! Great metallic green coloring!
That's all I have to add as I am a new nem owner myself!

I'm all out of nems now Carmen. We'll have to wait till he splits again. The nem I have seems like it starts to get some size and the next thing you know there's 4 little one's!

fishytime 12-12-2008 11:13 PM

Excuse me for answering for you Barrett. He is running a tek 4x24w HOT5. A nem might be do-able higher up in the tank. Your tank is how old now bud?

p.s. How does the the light support look?

Doug.

noirsphynx 12-12-2008 11:52 PM

Don't the Rock Flower Nem's tolerate a variety of lighting? I've been reading up a bit on them and it says they can tolerate a variety of lighting and can handle a little bit lower lighting than other nem's. Does anyone have experience with these because I've been thinking about getting one for my nano.

Barrett.Oliver 12-13-2008 12:01 AM

Nice work Doug, tek 4x24w HOT5 is what I'm working with. The support looks sexy too!

The tank is only about 7 months old though.

Really if its do-able, the most likely candidate would be BTA for sure.

Thanks for the insight everyone, if you have anymore insight I'll be in from the snow all night!!

Barrett

Nebthet 12-13-2008 12:39 AM

BTA's don't require as much lighting as other nems, so you will be good to have a small one in a 30g, especially if your tank height is under 24inches. And just think, as it splits you can sell off the babies to other hobbiests.