Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tang's Now Tank (TNT)🌊 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119839)

tang daddy 06-15-2016 07:39 AM

Tang's Now Tank (TNT)🌊

Well after taking abit of a break, about 2 years I thought I would never get back into the hobby again. I was still hanging out with guys that were passionate about corals but when you don't look at a tank every day you start to not miss corals and the reef as a whole. But with my first born alittle older now I find him more active and learning new things quickly. We would go visit my friends and look at their tanks and corals and I could see he was taking a liking to fish and corals.

So I decided to shut down my freshwater planted tank and start a reef again.... I've had a rimless 34g for a few years and filled it up pretty quickly like I always do. But I wanted something abit larger so I did a little searching. There were quite a few cube tanks for sale but one caught my eye... It was on the Sunshine Coast which was abit of a ways away but I was able to get help from a good buddy and off we went to get my new tank. Loaded it in his truck no problem and got it back, after this I got a few of the boys over to help me level the tank and replumb. Ran it with fresh water for 4 days and once all the small
Leaks were sorted I drained it. Next I will be dealing a white and bottom to it and aquascapimg then filling with saltwater.

I still need to get a skimmer and lights but for now I am going to use 6 bulb t5.
I will add a couple pics of the progress as it comes along.

hunggi74 06-15-2016 08:30 AM

Welcome back home.

tang daddy 06-15-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunggi74 (Post 993532)
Welcome back home.

Tanks you very much!

tang daddy 06-15-2016 08:06 PM

Here are a few pics of my trip a few weeks ago grabbing my tank, ferry ride and a nice drive down the coast...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/image_4.jpeg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/image_6.jpeg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/image_7.jpeg

tang daddy 06-15-2016 08:13 PM

And after plumbing the tank... I got demoted to the garage because we are going to put in laminate flooring.
The final resting place for the cube tank all leveled and water tested.
Next will be to silicone in the white abs floor.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/image_8.jpeg

Bblinks 06-15-2016 08:13 PM

Once a reefer, always a reefer! Welcome back my friend....JL missed you, now they can hire another person in the livestock section from your contributions...:lol:

hunggi74 06-15-2016 10:41 PM

Hmmmmm JL needs part time help?

Bblinks 06-15-2016 11:25 PM

I am sure they do....staff pricing....dayum!:mrgreen:

tang daddy 06-16-2016 06:19 AM

Put the abs bottom in looks good....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/image_9.jpeg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_10.jpeg

Myka 06-16-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 993531)
I still need to get a skimmer and lights but for now I am going to use 6 bulb t5.

I hope this means you're upgrading to MH, and not downgrading to LED. ;) :p

What are you using to hold the bottom down? Just the weight of the rocks? Is it actually ABS or is it HDPE? I got a bottom made out of 3/4" HDPE once - I figured I would use the weight of the rocks to hold it down, and put a silicone bead around the edges to keep detritus out which was a good idea in theory, but silicone + HDPE = no good. Doesn't stick AT ALL - as soon as it dries it pulls back.

Bblinks 06-16-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 993599)

What are you using to hold the bottom down? Just the weight of the rocks? Is it actually ABS or is it HDPE? I got a bottom made out of 3/4" HDPE once - I figured I would use the weight of the rocks to hold it down, and put a silicone bead around the edges to keep detritus out which was a good idea in theory, but silicone + HDPE = no good. Doesn't stick AT ALL - as soon as it dries it pulls back.

I think its ABS, he should be okay.

Galizio 06-16-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 993593)

Do they only have white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarDog 06-16-2016 09:14 PM

Looks pretty sick Chris, welcome back!

kyl 06-16-2016 10:16 PM

Where'd you end up sourcing the sheeting from?

tang daddy 06-17-2016 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 993599)

Hey Myka long time no talk....It's abs plastic not hdpe! checked with the guy at the store he was nice enough to cut a sample piece and stick it in a bucket of tap water and the abs sank like a dollar bill swaying to the floor of a Vegas strip club, that's when I knew I was in bidness💦
The young fella also said it would bond to silicone as long as you rough up the smooth side. Abs is one side rough and the other smooth, at first I thought I would use the smooth side up but after carefull consideration and seeing my friends hermits go glass gliding on the their BB tanks I decided to use the rough side up. Also I think it gives it a more real texture and when the coraline covers the bottom it should give it a more real textured look.

I siliconed the bottom alot but should've saved abit for around the corners because when the tank was custom built the silicone was quite thick around the glass and not symmetrical so now the abs sits on the silicone as oppose to the glass eurobracing on the bottom of the tank. It's not perfect but I am not that picky so I am sure this should work. Also the tank was siliconed with black and Jl only had clear in stock....oh wells.

As for lights I wanted to do an 8 bulb Ati dimmable with 2 led strips but no one in town is selling one anytime soon. So I will have to wait. For now I am going to do 1 400w MH SE with led strips and maybe some T5...

I plan to run the MH 5 hrs from 12am to 5am and run led t5 combo from 9pm to 8am, with summer around the corner the reverse light cycle will help offset the heat in my garage because my car is also parked inside and puts out a ton of heat after being driven. I have some fine tweeking to do and not even sure if I will run a controller, still need a skimmer as well.

tang daddy 06-17-2016 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galizio (Post 993623)
Do they only have white?

Hey badi abs comes in white and black, maybe other colours too but those are the most common, black would've looked stealth but everyone I asked said white will reflect light better.

tang daddy 06-17-2016 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bblinks (Post 993614)
I think its ABS, he should be okay.

Yup yop!!!

tang daddy 06-17-2016 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 993624)
Looks pretty sick Chris, welcome back!

Thank you sir!

tang daddy 06-17-2016 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyl (Post 993627)
Where'd you end up sourcing the sheeting from?

Industrial plastics, they have one in Richmond not too sure where the other one is....

kyl 06-17-2016 03:40 AM

Thanks, and the other is in PoCo.

Galizio 06-17-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 993634)
Hey badi abs comes in white and black, maybe other colours too but those are the most common, black would've looked stealth but everyone I asked said white will reflect light better.

Looks really good with the white bottom,
Can't wait to see the tank running

tang daddy 06-19-2016 04:42 AM

First water this tank has seen, rodi is so slow....

The plan is to fill this tank with rock and water then add liverock and let it go for 3-4 weeks, some time during that run a skimmer.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_11.jpeg

Bblinks 06-23-2016 09:55 PM

Any new updates?

Rice Reef 06-28-2016 08:30 PM

Update?

kien 06-30-2016 05:53 AM

Ooh, the daddy is back! Wait, you left?? *jokes*

tang daddy 06-30-2016 04:19 PM

Yes I am back, for now...

Tank is filled and been running for over a week, still haven't got around to setting up the lights. I added about 25lbs of live rock and started dosing seachem cycle. Will be throwing a light on this weekend to grow some algae and hopefully have a nice pod population going then snails and hermits.

I will add some pics once it's scaped to the way I like. Still need to mount the front panel wires are everywhere.

tang daddy 07-01-2016 08:36 PM

Happy Canada Day Y'all!!

New updates mounted my light radium 20k 400w thanks to Tim T and big boy Dave for the hook ups🐠.

I didn't realize how blue this bulb really was wow any how I may just mount some blue LEDs and not even put any t5 we will see....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_12.jpeg

michika 07-02-2016 05:18 AM

Sharp looking!

tang daddy 07-03-2016 01:05 AM

Thanks I think the starphire enhances the look....

tang daddy 07-09-2016 03:55 PM

So I received a new toy in the mailbox yesterday super stoked I installed it this morning will see how this thing runs but so far I am quite happy with the results. I tested the various modes that is infamous with the jebao line, ended up sticking to wave mode at 50% power, 60% speed and quite happy with the motion on top. This thing pushes a decent amount of water across the 30" width of the tank. May have to make some real time adjustments when euphyllias are in though but safe to say that the CP40 is enough to do a 90g cube, on a 6' tank maybe 2.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_15.jpeg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_16.jpeg

tang daddy 07-09-2016 04:00 PM

Save for pic

tang daddy 07-26-2016 06:00 PM

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_17.jpeg

Just a small update the tank has been cycling for awhile, got some hair algae that is slowly been coming off in fluffs. Have a strong cleaning crew that works 24/7 like 7/11....

I think about 8-10 hermits and 12 astrea.

I added a few fishy friends, JL loves me.

Achilles tang
Yellow watchmen
Oronate wrasse
Fire shrimp
Blue Chromis
Ring Cowrie

From before I have a Clown.

Also got a few sps frags and been slowly transferring sps from my other tank down.
In August I will transfer the rest of my Lps down maybe sooner as I've been really busy with Renos on my new condo in Burnaby.

Galizio 07-26-2016 11:26 PM

Nice stuff, really like the Achilles ....

Myka 07-27-2016 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 993633)
Hey Myka long time no talk....It's abs plastic not hdpe! checked with the guy at the store he was nice enough to cut a sample piece and stick it in a bucket of tap water and the abs sank like a dollar bill swaying to the floor of a Vegas strip club, that's when I knew I was in bidness💦
The young fella also said it would bond to silicone as long as you rough up the smooth side. Abs is one side rough and the other smooth, at first I thought I would use the smooth side up but after carefull consideration and seeing my friends hermits go glass gliding on the their BB tanks I decided to use the rough side up. Also I think it gives it a more real texture and when the coraline covers the bottom it should give it a more real textured look.

Nice!!! Sinking is awesome - HDPE is such a PITA to work with. I also like your lighting choice. I wouldn't add any LEDs to that...I'd go for a couple ATI Actinic bulbs if anything for dusk/dawn. I haven't used actinic bulbs in years, and added one to my fixture a couple months ago, and holy cow does it ever make a difference!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 995680)
I added a few fishy friends, JL loves me.

Achilles tang

An Achilles for a 30" cube? Do you think that's a good idea? I've seen a 5" Achilles make a 10' tank look small.

tang daddy 07-27-2016 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galizio (Post 995688)
Nice stuff, really like the Achilles ....

Thanks sir it is one of the only tangs other than black tang that I love....

tang daddy 07-27-2016 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 995690)
Nice!!! Sinking is awesome - HDPE is such a PITA to work with. I also like your lighting choice. I wouldn't add any LEDs to that...I'd go for a couple ATI Actinic bulbs if anything for dusk/dawn. I haven't used actinic bulbs in years, and added one to my fixture a couple months ago, and holy cow does it ever make a difference!

An Achilles for a 30" cube? Do you think that's a good idea? I've seen a 5" Achilles make a 10' tank look small.

I have a 400w mh on at 11pm till 5am to keep heat down, I also have 2 strips of blue LEDs and 2 t5 sunblaster with reflector running Ati blue plus from 5pm till 11pm to help keep the heat down.

I didn't think it through well when I bought the fish, just that it was a fine specimen eating well, ich free and happy as can be so I grabbed it. A yellow tang would be better suited for this tank but I can say with the cooler temps and lots of flow and algae to pick on I hope to give him the best home I can for now....
He is about 3.25 inches now so I will rehome him into a 6 or 8ft tank when he grows alittle larger.

Myka 07-27-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 995708)
I have a 400w mh on at 11pm till 5am to keep heat down, I also have 2 strips of blue LEDs and 2 t5 sunblaster with reflector running Ati blue plus from 5pm till 11pm to help keep the heat down.

I didn't think it through well when I bought the fish, just that it was a fine specimen eating well, ich free and happy as can be so I grabbed it. A yellow tang would be better suited for this tank but I can say with the cooler temps and lots of flow and algae to pick on I hope to give him the best home I can for now....
He is about 3.25 inches now so I will rehome him into a 6 or 8ft tank when he grows alittle larger.

Ah, I didn't realize you picked out your lighting already. :o

That's a nice small size for the Achilles at least! I put a Tomini in my tank - pretty much the most docile tang there is. I'm trying to catch him out after only 6 months - he spends all day swimming up and down the corners of the tank. :(

tang daddy 07-27-2016 04:24 PM

It's a baby Achilles compared to the ones I seen at aquarium in Maui, the most important thing about Achilles is they need lots of flow. These fish reside mostly in turbulent waters, crashing waves with lots of oxygenated water and they spend most of their day swimming through waves, so while a lot of us keep these fish in tanks none of us can actually replicate their true home. I will be getting even more flow for the tank soon.

Achilles can grow up to 10", my friend has a 12ft tank so I am sure once he outgrows this tank I will let him have my fish. But for now he's happy as heck since he is the boss of the tank, it's very important with these fish for them to be introduced early. If you have any other aggressors like a six line or Melanarus or smaller angels when you introduce this fish they can easily get stressed and ich. Sometimes if you're lucky they can fight off the ich after 6-8 months. But if they can't stop feeding then they perish very fast. Don't ask me how I know. I have only ever owned 1 other Achilles but usually it takes 2-3 before you have 1 strong survivor.

tang daddy 08-14-2016 08:01 AM

Well not much of an update but finished up my sump, added an AI Prime with some red macro algae and Zoas, palys, rock flower and anemone....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../image_18.jpeg

I also added a few more sps frags to the display!

Tested my water yesterday.

Mg 1400
Ca 380
Alk 6.5

I am making some slow adjustments to raise alk, I think 7 is where I'll be happy for now until I set up the doser.
Ca can raise up abit aswell but not super concerned ATM.

I hooked up my ato and dialed in skimmer to skim wet now that the water level in the sump is stable.

Also added a few new fish, long nose hawk, yellow coral goby, 2 spot blenny.

GMGQ 08-14-2016 03:31 PM

Hey welcome back, buddy!!! Looking good! I'm still several months away from jumping back in myself ;)

You live in Burnaby now? No sht, me too! Where abouts r u??