Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   LF - Acrylic tank builder (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131441)

Ryan7 01-30-2021 03:21 AM

I got my 325g made by envision acrylics. Highly recommend. I was also sick of lifting large glass tanks. This one was easy to lift with 2 people.

Tips -

3/16" or so slice of original magic eraser in between magnet on wet side for algae

1500 - 6000 grit micro mesh for coralline

https://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...ct_Code=124415

GreenSpottedPuffer 01-31-2021 02:03 AM

Thanks for the info.

I looked at Envision but I don’t want to ship from the US. They also quoted roughly the same price as local but in USD.

I’m hoping to stay local.

burgerchow 01-31-2021 10:10 AM

Sent you a pm:

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-01-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustafa Dean (Post 1048018)
I dont think so. It's still plastic works. I was there couple days ago!

And this is Plasticworks in Surrey? I emailed and they said they do not build aquariums.

Mustafa Dean 02-01-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer (Post 1048075)
And this is Plasticworks in Surrey? I emailed and they said they do not build aquariums.

Oh! My friend got his tank built there. Was a small tank tho maybe 5 years ago.
I mentioned there name cuz they are the cheapest I found material wise. I only buy acrylic and cut it to size at their shop and bring it back home and glue it my self.

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-02-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustafa Dean (Post 1048080)
Oh! My friend got his tank built there. Was a small tank tho maybe 5 years ago.
I mentioned there name cuz they are the cheapest I found material wise. I only buy acrylic and cut it to size at their shop and bring it back home and glue it my self.

Oh nice! Yeah they do have good prices. I wish I trusted myself to build this thing but I really don't lol.

Archer plastics is pretty reasonable too. They quoted me less than US tank builders and they were in USD!!

Archer deals with some public aquariums so I think I can trust their skill level.

smokinreefer 02-02-2021 03:45 AM

Just for curiosity sake, what does a piece of acrylic go for?
Could you provide a sample of pricing you found?
I'm vaguely interested in a project tank, but really have no idea of what acrylic costs.

nanoreefer 02-02-2021 07:59 AM

I am also looking to get back into the hobby again and sick of glass tanks and wondering on the prices in Canada on acrylic to DIY a tank or costs of building a large one in the 200-350 gallon range.

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-03-2021 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoreefer (Post 1048096)
I am also looking to get back into the hobby again and sick of glass tanks and wondering on the prices in Canada on acrylic to DIY a tank or costs of building a large one in the 200-350 gallon range.

I'm not sure on exact sheet price since there is no way I am going to DIY a tank this large but I think it's roughly $400-500 a sheet for 3/4" at retail price. For smaller pieces that I priced out, plasticworks was the best price. Depends on dimensions but for a 200 my guess is 2 sheets, 3 sheets for 350. That 350 might need 1" acrylic depending on height.

I would build a few small tanks before DIYing a 350G

Out of curiosity, what makes you sick of glass tanks?

If I had the choice (ground floor spot for my tank) I would not go acrylic. I am just willing to accept the scratches so I can go a little larger in my current place.

Edit: I did a bunch of research on DIY acrylic tanks. I would read the threads on other forums. A lot of good advice on what type of acrylic to use as well as solvents. There were even some tank builders who used certain solvents that were not good for larger tanks. The prediction was that the tank could give after a few years :( Then there is the issue of hazing...It's all a very specific skill. I have built a few glass tanks but that is really easy in comparison.

Ritteri 02-03-2021 02:12 AM

Acrylic

Your close on pricing. My 3/4 acrylic wasnt that much more expensive than my 1/2. Although the 1/2 was 60"x96" and the 3/4 was 48"x96"

You may find my conversations on the wetweb with Mr. Fenner regarding my tankbuild, he is or was a very nice person to deal with as I think he's passed on.

I would only build tanks in that two part.

Any lightly scratched acrylic tank is still clearer than glass.