Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   IM 25G Lagoon Tank Build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127189)

Frogger 12-08-2018 08:22 PM

Looks like a nice clean setup. Good luck, keep us posted

Synthesis 12-09-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1032458)
Looks like a nice clean setup. Good luck, keep us posted

Thanks! Will do. Will probably be asking for plenty of advise in the coming weeks 😊

Synthesis 12-14-2018 03:11 PM

With the wind storm coming to Vancouver, it has me looking at battery backup for the Tank. What does everyone use for their power backup?

I have been looking at some of those APC battery backup units that are often used for computers and electronics. Vortech has one for their mp units but it's pretty darn expensive and only provides power to the mp.

kyl 12-14-2018 05:45 PM

Most APC / UPS back ups of that type will only run equipment for a few hours due to a low amp hour battery. The difference with the ecotech units etc is they are strictly a 12v DC draw from the battery, while your UPS is going DC > AC > DC (pump transformer > Pump, and there is an "overhead" for that process to take place.

If you want to emulate the ecotech example, it's extremely simple to DIY with a 12/24v deep cycle battery and a float charger. There are numerous examples on other forums, just google "diy ecotech battery backup". The only thing special about the Ecotech release is the mark up they're able to charge for a couple SLA batteries and a float charger.

Frogger 12-14-2018 06:03 PM

Costco sells a Lithium Ion Goal Zero battery backup. I have one and have tested it it will run a 10 to 20 watt pump for over half a day.

Frogger 12-14-2018 06:09 PM

The other great option is an inverter and an AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery, or scooter battery. Scooter batteries are cheap and designed exactly for this kind of use.

Computer battery backups are only designed for short use.

I believe Ice Cap battery backups will only work on DC Pumps.

Dash 12-14-2018 07:38 PM

My husband used my tank as an excuse to buy this huge generator on sale last year at Home Depot. Dang was it ever loud when we fired it up! We got an PHEV car this spring and there is a built-in doodad for this very purpose. So we were able to sell the generator thank goodness

Synthesis 12-17-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyl (Post 1032593)
Most APC / UPS back ups of that type will only run equipment for a few hours due to a low amp hour battery. The difference with the ecotech units etc is they are strictly a 12v DC draw from the battery, while your UPS is going DC > AC > DC (pump transformer > Pump, and there is an "overhead" for that process to take place.

If you want to emulate the ecotech example, it's extremely simple to DIY with a 12/24v deep cycle battery and a float charger. There are numerous examples on other forums, just google "diy ecotech battery backup". The only thing special about the Ecotech release is the mark up they're able to charge for a couple SLA batteries and a float charger.

Awesome thank you so much! I appreciate the video you sent me as well. Will look into doing the DYI! Do people also run these for their heaters to maintain temp?

Synthesis 12-17-2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 1032599)
My husband used my tank as an excuse to buy this huge generator on sale last year at Home Depot. Dang was it ever loud when we fired it up! We got an PHEV car this spring and there is a built-in doodad for this very purpose. So we were able to sell the generator thank goodness

A PHEV might blow the bank for this tank build....but thanks for the suggestion :biggrin: :wink:

Synthesis 12-17-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1032597)
The other great option is an inverter and an AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery, or scooter battery. Scooter batteries are cheap and designed exactly for this kind of use.

Computer battery backups are only designed for short use.

I believe Ice Cap battery backups will only work on DC Pumps.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Certainly some things to look into keep me busy. Yeah I scraped the computer battery backup idea pretty quickly given what it's primary purpose was.