Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Need a lense (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118189)

moosehead 02-14-2016 02:31 AM

Need a lense

looking to get a lense in a bit for my canon T5i but realy i know nothing about cameras, would like to take nice close up shots any recommendations would be fantastic! Thanks alot

xenon 02-14-2016 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 982653)
looking to get a lense in a bit for my canon T5i but realy i know nothing about cameras, would like to take nice close up shots any recommendations would be fantastic! Thanks alot

The Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro lens is a good choice.

You don't need the professional "L" version.

duncangweller 02-14-2016 03:58 AM

Tamron 90mmis excellent. As good as the canon, slightly shorter focal length but a lot cheaper

kien 02-14-2016 04:08 PM

The canon rebel can also take the ( probably cheaper) 60mm EF-S macro lens. It's meant for cropped sensors like the one on the rebels.

duncangweller 02-14-2016 04:18 PM

That is also true. However if you decided to upgrade to a full frame camera down the road then the ef-s lens will no longer fit and you'll have to buy another lens.

xenon 02-14-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncangweller (Post 982715)
That is also true. However if you decided to upgrade to a full frame camera down the road then the ef-s lens will no longer fit and you'll have to buy another lens.

YEP!

The #1 reason why I don't buy EF-S lenses. :mrgreen:

moosehead 02-14-2016 04:38 PM

Perfect thanks guys, got some options now to look at didn't know we're to start.

msjboy 02-15-2016 12:02 AM

another option

One of the members ( see link for his sample shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137833...4/23368905422/ ) uses a Olympus TG-4 ( for around $329) underwater cable camera is possibility with it)that is cheaper than a macro lens which starts at $5XX for a macro 60mm new, or around $3XX user, so that might be an option too.

msjboy

moosehead 02-15-2016 12:13 AM

A nice macro lense would be sweet I won't be buying for a few months anyways and used is fine by me : )

Coasting 02-15-2016 01:08 AM

I have the canon 60mm f2.8 macro lense. Love it.
Had it for years now and it still shoots like new. Well worth it. If i had the extra cash at the time i woulda got the 100mm but the 60 is still great.

moosehead 02-15-2016 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coasting (Post 982800)
I have the canon 60mm f2.8 macro lense. Love it.
Had it for years now and it still shoots like new. Well worth it. If i had the extra cash at the time i woulda got the 100mm but the 60 is still great.

IL check that out thanks alot

Aquattro 02-15-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msjboy (Post 982792)
One of the members ( see link for his sample shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137833...4/23368905422/ ) uses a Olympus TG-4 ( for around $329) underwater cable camera is possibility with it)that is cheaper than a macro lens which starts at $5XX for a macro 60mm new, or around $3XX user, so that might be an option too.

msjboy

Ya, I just bought one, listed my SLR for sale. I love this little thing :) Of course nobody wants my 7 yr old Nikon D40, so I'll have to just give it to my kid -lol

Reef Pilot 02-15-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 982818)
Ya, I just bought one, listed my SLR for sale. I love this little thing :) Of course nobody wants my 7 yr old Nikon D40, so I'll have to just give it to my kid -lol

You might want to hang onto your D40, just for outside FTS pics. I have the earlier model TG-2, and while it is great for in tank underwater water shots, I could not for the life of me get a good FTS. Maybe it is just me...

But the problem I had is that the TG-2 (and I think the later models are the same) have no manual focus setting, and I could not get good focus on corals when the pic was taken through the glass.

Also a tip (my apologies if this is old hat to you) is to use the manual white balance setting to get accurate colour (instead of blue dominant). I just pointed the camera to a white sand part in the tank and registered that for a setting. Colours would then come out near perfect. Sometimes still needed to play around a bit with exposure, flash or no flash, but most times pics were pretty easy to get near perfect.

I used this camera for snorkeling in Hawaii (mounted on a selfie stick), too, and worked great with vids, too.

Aquattro 02-15-2016 03:36 PM

Walter, I found that I never really use the SLR, too bulky to carry around on holidays, etc.
I'll try a FTS today with the new one, I suspect it's fine. I did a couple shots through the glass as well, they focused fine. Not real sure how that all works.

I fought with the WB using a white plastic sheet, no luck. Pointed at the sand, bingo :) I like that it has the separate custom WB, I don't have to mess around with it each time. I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks, so I'll get to try it out on a variety of shots. Currently I use my phone over the SLR. I've had the Nikon 6 or 7 years, I maybe have 500 shutter clicks on it.

Reef Pilot 02-15-2016 03:42 PM

It might have to do with my acrylic pane. It is scratched, and coralline algae loves it. So the auto focus tends to pick it instead of the corals.