Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Complete loss (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54108)

Sushiman 07-05-2009 09:35 PM

Complete loss

Well my house smells like corpse reek now. :cry: Left on vacation for a week, family member left to house sit /tank sit. Family member tripped breaker when she plugged in vac to tanks power bar. Didn't realize what she had done till days later when fish began going belly up. Just spent the last two hours siphoning water, chucking out "once-live" rock & endless fish corpses never mind the corals. Anyone in the market for a new skimmer? Euroreef RS135 like new. First with $300 can have it. I'm done. :(

Keri 07-05-2009 09:39 PM

Ohhh .... I am SO sorry, that's terrible :(

sharuq1 07-05-2009 09:41 PM

So sorry for your loss :( What a nightmare :sad:

Jack 07-05-2009 09:47 PM

That really sucks.

naesco 07-05-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushiman (Post 432978)
Well my house smells like corpse reek now. :cry: Left on vacation for a week, family member left to house sit /tank sit. Family member tripped breaker when she plugged in vac to tanks power bar. Didn't realize what she had done till days later when fish began going belly up. Just spent the last two hours siphoning water, chucking out "once-live" rock & endless fish corpses never mind the corals. Anyone in the market for a new skimmer? Euroreef RS135 like new. First with $200 can have it. I'm done. :(

It is sickening but don't be hasty. Pack everything away for a while and you will find yourself dreaming of the new set up and the critters you will keep.

mark 07-05-2009 10:42 PM

that's so sad...

whatcaneyedo 07-05-2009 11:46 PM

This is why I will no longer ask friends or family to look after my tanks. It has to be another reef keeper otherwise I know something will go wrong again and just like in your case they wont even notice it (or even if they do notice they'll be clueless as of what to do). I've suffered a few needless losses and almost had a complete tank crash like your own. Then the worse part is you cant help but blame them in part for it...

Blue-Wolf 07-05-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo (Post 433003)
This is why I will no longer ask friends or family to look after my tanks. It has to be another reef keeper otherwise I know something will go wrong again and just like in your case they wont even notice it (or even if they do notice they'll be clueless as of what to do). I've suffered a few needless losses and almost had a complete tank crash like your own. Then the worse part is you cant help but blame them in part for it...

That is why I am scared to go on holidays anywhere at the moment. I have 10 Thousand in my 1 tank alone, and that is a HUGE risk of loss if someone has no idea what they are doing.

Sorry to hear about the loss. But I think as someone mentioned before, you should put the equipment away and wait a bit. Don't be in a rush to sell. You may want to start over again a bit later after you have had a chance to absorb everything.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 07-05-2009 11:59 PM

Don't toss out the live rock. You can cook it for several months and then, if & when the bug hits you again, you can reuse this rock.

I have a reefer who lives down the street look after my tanks when I go away. Left them in the care of my wife's cousin & he used up 6 months worth of goldfish pellets on my angelfish tank, to the point where my barebottom looked like it had a layer of brown river gravel.

There should be someone close enough to trade tank sitting duties with for most members here.

Anthony

fishytime 07-06-2009 12:43 AM

Sorry to read about your crash. Like others have said...give it a few days before you call er quits...Think of it this way....If there was ever anything you thought you might like to change as far as stocking, aquascaping.......the system itself.....now is your chance.

I agree. If you can, have someone with at least some knowledge of keeping fish look after your system.If you dont know anyone....post here...."L/F someone in N.W. Calgary(etc) to house-sit tank"....Im sure someone would ante up....I have tank-sitted for a couple canreef friends and helped another by babysitting some coral when his tank was crashing....To me, its the least I could do...I know, gawd forbid if I ever need that kind of help, I would hope someone would return the favor... Ask you favorite LFS if they have a tank maintenance guy....Also ask them if they can leave the LFS number with whoever is taking care of the tank in case of emergency.