Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tips and Tricks (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Livestock Shipping How-To w/ Pics! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41875)

Myka 05-05-2008 04:24 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com (Post 322327)
Excellent information. Also, for those considering shipping fish, don't forget to fill the bag with oxygen before you tie it.

This is a good idea. I've never put oxygen in a bag, and haven't had troubles shipping fish, but I haven't sent fish any further than about 12 hours in transit. I added this to the "guide" though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomikk (Post 322352)
Sometimes those styro discs don't have to be that big. It all depends on the size of the coral/frag.

I find if the disk is about the same size as the bag, then it doesn't slosh around in the bag. It is much more stable, and seems to ship better. I added this explanation to the guide.

Floop70 05-05-2008 04:27 AM

Excellent information Myka. Thank you!

I agree... this should be a sticky!

Myka 05-05-2008 04:30 AM

You're very welcome! Feel free to send me some frags to practise your packing! :p

Floop70 05-05-2008 04:37 AM

...the only thing I would have to give away is a GSP... I doubt you'd want it :razz:

gqlmao 05-05-2008 05:23 AM

Very informative!

5 stars!

Thanks

Stanley,

Doug 05-05-2008 01:24 PM

:biggrin: Good thread with the pics Myka.

Now if we only had air service. :sad:

wickedfrags 05-05-2008 01:58 PM

I guess you would really just want to make sure it gets there ASAP. This is done as best practice to ensure a minimum 95% survival rate. A drop of slime coat protectant and/or water conditioner is also a good idea to prevent ammonia burns during transport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat (Post 322329)
What if one doesn't have O2?

Agreed. While I do not use this method personally, it is a great shipping technique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomikk (Post 322352)
Sometimes those styro discs don't have to be that big. It all depends on the size of the coral/frag. Otherwise, a very good ilustration on how to ship livestock.

Myka 05-06-2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 322396)
:biggrin: Good thread with the pics Myka.

Now if we only had air service. :sad:

Could try UPS...they're a bit risky, but usually do ok.

whatcaneyedo 04-15-2009 03:40 AM

I just wanted to give a good old post a bump and add that its best not to feed fish for the day before shipping so that they dont soil the shipping bag as quickly.

fishoholic 04-15-2009 04:51 AM

Great info. Why wasn't this made into a sticky? I think it should be. Christy, what's your thoughts?

The only thing I would add, is that for fish, you might want to lower the salinity a bit. It's supposed to be less stressful to fish in transport if the salinity is lowered.