Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Should I wait ... or should I play with chemistry? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92705)

jon in alberta 12-19-2012 02:06 AM

Should I wait ... or should I play with chemistry?

Hi All,

- my tank is about a year old (150 gal)
- inhabitants are IMO 'satisfied' but not thriving

That is my problem - now for the details.
tank specs:
- vertex 260 LED lighting
- good skimmer (not great)
- recently bought (but not turned on) dosers for Ca and Alk ... BUT Ca is around 425 mg/L and Alk is around 3.5 meq/L. (NO3 <0.25; Ammonia <0.25; pH 8.08 .. that's all the test I have). With those readings I don't think I have to start dosing?
- recently bought a ozone generator, with ORP probe. The ORP started at 115 mV and within 3 days of applying ozone went up to and is sitting around 350 mV (which shuts the ozone generation off). I had been applying ozone through the skimmer.

Here is are my questions:
1) Should I shut up and just wait? Things gotta grow, and the tank will mature ...
2) Is Ca and Alk my limiting factor?
3) how is my ORP sitting at 350mV+ with my ozone generator unplugged?

Any advice is welcome.

Proteus 12-19-2012 03:18 AM

I'd like to know what you have for fish. What's your setup. Amount of flow. Canister or sump what makes you think fish are not all that happy. Got coral or nems

subman 12-19-2012 03:23 AM

your alk is low for sure I would bring that up. Once the alk and CA are in balance the corals will take off

11purewater 12-19-2012 03:32 AM

why are you using ozone?

Seriak 12-19-2012 03:53 AM

Your Alk is fine. What is your Mg at?

jon in alberta 12-19-2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 774855)
I'd like to know what you have for fish. What's your setup. Amount of flow. Canister or sump what makes you think fish are not all that happy. Got coral or nems

7 fish,

flow not sure (high) - I can get that exact for you.

fish are ok - corals are growing slow .... that's the thing

jon in alberta 12-19-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 774860)
your alk is low for sure I would bring that up. Once the alk and CA are in balance the corals will take off

ok, thanks - alk up to what constitutes balanced?

ScubaSteve 12-19-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon in alberta (Post 774881)
ok, thanks - alk up to what constitutes balanced?

Check out this article by Randy Holmes-Farley. It will explain everything. You'll know what balanced is after this.

As for Alk... there's no right answer, but rather an acceptable range. I would actually consider yours perfectly balanced. No need to worry. Once the corals start to take off you see your levels drop and that'll be the time to fire up the dosers.

I consider your pH a touch on the low side, but not problematic. A better skimmer will probably boost this up a bit with better aeration.

How many corals do you have? What kind of corals? What kind of lighting? How often and how much of water changes are you doing? (the water changes might be replenishing your levels, hence no need to dose).

subman 12-19-2012 04:23 AM

Sorry I read this at a red light your alk is fine I thought it was 3.5dkh. It's perfect where it is my mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seriak (Post 774873)
Your Alk is fine. What is your Mg at?

What Seriak said mg may be your problem

kien 12-19-2012 04:25 AM

If you don't already have one, which you did suggest that you didn't, I would get a phosphate test kit and figure out your P04. Phosphates can be an inhibitor of growth. At least it would be nice to rule it out even if it's in check.