Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ORA livestock:what would you buy? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99471)

SanguinesDream 07-26-2013 06:08 AM

ORA livestock:what would you buy?

I'm going down to the southern states next week and I thought about stopping by ORA farms and picking up a couple of nice pieces.

I'm thinking of getting a clam or two, acros, montis, another sps depending on the selection. Mushrooms and zoas can be imported without paperwork, as long as they are properly documented and on man made plugs, so I was thinking of some of the tougher to acquire typical CITES required stony corals.

If you could, what would you buy and bring back to Canada?

Mandosh 07-26-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanguinesDream (Post 834199)
Mushrooms and zoas can be imported without paperwork, as long as they are properly documented and on man made plugs, so I was thinking of some of the tougher to acquire typical CITES required stony corals.

Am I missing something here?

SanguinesDream 07-26-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandosh (Post 834200)
Am I missing something here?

Regarding the mushrooms and zoas or the stony corals?

Proteus 07-26-2013 10:53 AM

Randall's assessor!!!!

SanguinesDream 07-26-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 834210)
Randall's assessor!!!!

????????

Sorry, I am still a newbie in terms of this board and I don't understand the inside references. If someone could explain or pm me that would be greatly appreciated.

Proteus 07-26-2013 03:08 PM

This is a randells assessor

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...91/null-15.jpg

naesco 07-26-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanguinesDream (Post 834199)
I'm going down to the southern states next week and I thought about stopping by ORA farms and picking up a couple of nice pieces.

I'm thinking of getting a clam or two, acros, montis, another sps depending on the selection. Mushrooms and zoas can be imported without paperwork, as long as they are properly documented and on man made plugs, so I was thinking of some of the tougher to acquire typical CITES required stony corals.

If you could, what would you buy and bring back to Canada?

Get there fish because aqua cultured
coral are available anywhere.

howdy20012002 07-26-2013 03:15 PM

the CITES process is typically now a minimum 2 month period and no store or company will go through the headache of it for one person or one small order.
without CITES, trying to get any coral beyond the border could land you in trouble.
I know people who have had their zoa frags seized even though they were on man made plugs.
Although I am sure that cross border coral shopping is done on a regular occurrence by lots of people, I personally would not recommend.
ignorance of the law is not a defence against being charged.
showing up at the border with a CITES species and saying "I didn't know" won't cut it in most cases.
you could be charged and at the best case have your stuff confiscated.

SanguinesDream 07-26-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 834229)

Ok, I'm a schmuck! Doh!

Nice fishy btw. How long do you think they'd last if they were my carry on? 24 hours?

SanguinesDream 07-26-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdy20012002 (Post 834231)
the CITES process is typically now a minimum 2 month period and no store or company will go through the headache of it for one person or one small order.
without CITES, trying to get any coral beyond the border could land you in trouble.
I know people who have had their zoa frags seized even though they were on man made plugs.
Although I am sure that cross border coral shopping is done on a regular occurrence by lots of people, I personally would not recommend.
ignorance of the law is not a defence against being charged.
showing up at the border with a CITES species and saying "I didn't know" won't cut it in most cases.
you could be charged and at the best case have your stuff confiscated.

I am NOT looking to circumvent the CITES process whatsoever, hence purchasing ORA livestock.