Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   H20 ocean salt is just rebadged Red Sea salt (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50465)

bigblack 03-11-2009 09:35 AM

H20 ocean salt is just rebadged Red Sea salt

Ok so i was recommended to switch from seachems reef salt to H20 by my lfs that shall remain unnamed as i am sure they did not know, but i just read that

"Please donīt use H2O this salt is relabeled Red Sea Coral Pro and we have some really problems with the coral coloration."

This was written by fauna marin on this board, I am really dissapointed that i've bought 3 cans of this stuff only to find this out. ESPECIally since its 90 bucks with tax. Did anybody else know this or was i the only putz??

fishytime 03-11-2009 12:49 PM

Claims are unfounded.

Jason McK 03-11-2009 01:55 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about this salt. To the point that I was going to switch from Reefers best.

Whatigot 03-11-2009 02:03 PM

At OA, where I bought my new bucket of this salt, they told me they had tested it extensively and found it to be very good for trace minerals,, especially magnesium...

It wouldn't surprise me if this were a red sea rebadge, but I would definitely like to see some evidence before I denounce OA's recommendation.

deep6er 03-11-2009 03:28 PM

I have bought around 6 pails of H2O. And I pre test my water before I do any WC. And it has always been bang on.
I dont care what its called, I think its better than IO or kent

Drock169 03-11-2009 03:53 PM

Can you post were you found that claim?

Trigger Man 03-11-2009 03:55 PM

the tread you were talking about from fauna Marin was a old thread, and if you read further when they were asked to explain and show some proof they did not show any. In the end I'm pretty sure it was a misquote due to the language translation (remember he is from Germany), and if I remember right he either mentioned that he meant it was like Red Sea and a couple others that did not work well with the ultra lith system. Kinda like how ZeoVit systems work better with certain salts due to their contents. I am currently using and have used the H2O ocean salt for a while now and have loved it. I switched from RBS to it and my tank is looking great. On a side note I have used Red Sea Coral Pro in the past and my test results for it come in differently then the results I get for H2Ocean.

dkcrx 03-11-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 398110)
I've heard nothing but good things about this salt. To the point that I was going to switch from Reefers best.

x2

Whatigot 03-11-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep6er (Post 398140)
I have bought around 6 pails of H2O. And I pre test my water before I do any WC. And it has always been bang on.
I dont care what its called, I think its better than IO or kent

out of curiosity, what do you mix (water to salt ratio) and what d you test and what is the tests bang on to?

just curious as I have this salt now...

fkshiu 03-11-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger Man (Post 398158)
the tread you were talking about from fauna Marin was a old thread, and if you read further when they were asked to explain and show some proof they did not show any. In the end I'm pretty sure it was a misquote due to the language translation (remember he is from Germany), and if I remember right he either mentioned that he meant it was like Red Sea and a couple others that did not work well with the ultra lith system. Kinda like how ZeoVit systems work better with certain salts due to their contents. I am currently using and have used the H2O ocean salt for a while now and have loved it. I switched from RBS to it and my tank is looking great. On a side note I have used Red Sea Coral Pro in the past and my test results for it come in differently then the results I get for H2Ocean.

But someone wrote it on the Internet, it must be true! :)