Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Reef Roids vs Cyclop-eeze (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58715)

Snufflupagus 12-08-2009 07:27 PM

Reef Roids vs Cyclop-eeze

Hello all,

I have been using the product reef roids to feed my corals and such for awhile now, but last time in a LFS they suggested switching over to the product cyclop-eeze, now I don't know if this was because they just wanted my business because they don't carry reef roids, or if cyclop-eeze is actually a better product. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these products and would like to share their information/opinion with me. Thanks.

fencer 12-08-2009 07:57 PM

Stay with roids.......you forgot coral frenzy

impreza 12-08-2009 07:59 PM

I just use both. Variety is the spice of life haha.

Snufflupagus 12-08-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impreza (Post 470904)
I just use both. Variety is the spice of life haha.

That sounds like a great idea. Any clue on how much cyclop-eeze I should use compared to reef roids? or is the dosage the same?

Funky_Fish14 12-08-2009 08:37 PM

They are both good products, and each accomplishes slightly different goals. The food size in cyclops is slightly larger than reef roids so there is a difference in target species.

christyf5 12-08-2009 10:58 PM

I'd stick with reef roids as your main food if I were you. Cyclopeeze is good for every once in awhile but overuse can foul your tank. Not sure what is in reef roids but I've never had the algae problems that regular use of cyclopeeze brings.

I'd just start with a pinch and go from there :biggrin:

Myka 12-09-2009 06:47 AM

I like frozen Cyclopeeze, and Coral Frenzy is the only dry food that goes in my tank (besides a small amount of flake). I mix some CF in a 1/4 cup of tank water, let it soak for 10 minutes, turn off the pumps, then use a turkey baster to blow it onto my brain corals. I only do that once every couple weeks. I should up it to once a week. I don't like feeding powdered or liquid foods much though since they seem to pollute the tank sooooo easily.

Kevotron 12-09-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 471047)
I like frozen Cyclopeeze, and Coral Frenzy is the only dry food that goes in my tank (besides a small amount of flake). I mix some CF in a 1/4 cup of tank water, let it soak for 10 minutes, turn off the pumps, then use a turkey baster to blow it onto my brain corals. I only do that once every couple weeks. I should up it to once a week. I don't like feeding powdered or liquid foods much though since they seem to pollute the tank sooooo easily.

How effective would it be if i just put a spoonful of Reef Roids directly into my tank without turning off anything ?

Myka 12-09-2009 02:59 PM

Imo, it would be effective at polluting the tank and that's about it. There would be very little that makes it to the corals. I suppose you would be feeding the filter feeders in the tank like micro dusters, spirorbid worms, etc so it could have some effectiveness.

new but handy 12-09-2009 03:19 PM

I mix Coral Frenzy with water and turkey baster it on coral as well.
I found if you put a spoonfull in the tank it floats straight down the overflows.
I cheat and stick a DRY baster in the container and suck up some CF then I suck up some water. Shake and apply.