Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   worked out how much I made in Afghanistan per Day (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50450)

Skimmerking 03-11-2009 02:49 AM

worked out how much I made in Afghanistan per Day

:mad:Well that was a kick in the crotch, after doing the taxes and figuring out the pay I made an extra 77 dollars per day overseas and a whopping $3.20 per hour based on a 24 hour period since we are always on call.

what a crock and that just proved I won't be going back to Afghanistan ever again. I will put my relase in if they do...

i have crabs 03-11-2009 02:56 AM

based on a 24h day that shure dont seem worth it, maybey if it was based on a 8 hour day but we all know you wernt doin 8 hour days and coming home

Pazil 03-11-2009 04:09 AM

WOW!! That sucks A$$...... anyone who had ever been in the forces will tell you that you can not or will not ever work an 8 hour day when stationed anywhere. I don't blame you for being upset!! Perhaps the lesson here is not to do math.....:lol::lol:

I do commend you and thank you for doing what you do.

Cheers
Lawrence

Myka 03-11-2009 04:35 AM

That's kinda how I am paid. I am paid a day rate "based on a 12 hour day including overtime", but I'm on call 24/7, and usually work 17-18 hours a day.

Tom R 03-11-2009 04:40 AM

I know that there is very little any of us can say as to those who put their life on the line. To you and your comrades you have my support and admiration.

Tom R

fishoholic 03-11-2009 04:46 AM

Doesn't seem like nearly enough considering everything you do and go through down there.

GreenSpottedPuffer 03-11-2009 07:17 AM

Wow, even for an 8 hour DESK day job that would be low...let alone a job where you risk your life and are on call 24/7 :(

Two of my cousins are in the US army and US Airforce respectively. One was recently killed on the ground in Iraq (after being there on and off for 5 years now) and the other was actually just telling me about how relatively little he gets paid as a pilot! ...so its not just a Canadian thing.

Leah 03-11-2009 11:17 AM

It really is pretty sad that you guy's are not paid better for the job you do.
Some how we have our priorities pretty screwed up. The part that really gets
me is if you are killed god for bid. How well is your family taken care of financially.
My brother was a Marine and it was Dang sad!!!!! Can you just up and not go!
Or is it called going awall????? At least your back in one piece.

Myka 03-11-2009 11:27 AM

This post is directed at the general population, not asmodeus in particular:

Sorry to point it out, but if you don't like your work's monetary compensation (talking to everyone here not just asmodeus), why don't you get a different job?

Honestly, I think there are too many people in this world that want everything for nothing. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want (whether that be monetary or otherwise). I gave up practically my entire life for the winter so I could work on the oil rigs and make some good cash so I can do a few things I've wanted to do for a long time (like travel). The winter has been long and tough with very few days off, little thanks, and I work crazy hours (one of many stretches was 13 hours sleep in 10 days), but it has paid off for me. If it didn't give me what I was after (in my case monetary gain) I wouldn't be doing it.

I don't believe the Canadian military should have a presence in Iraq right now, so I have a hard time supporting our government paying a large amount to the troops. I understand that asmodeus probably works physically quite hard, for this I have a lot of respect to anyone, and believe there should be decent monetary gain by doing so (just not in Iraq eep).

Oops, I think I opened a can of worms. :eek:

Asmodeus...by the looks of your tank and its inhabitants and equipment, (really nice!!) it doesn't look like you're doing really all that bad financially. ;)

Leah 03-11-2009 11:47 AM

aaanndd When you say you want to travel, travel where? I have a friend who left
the middle east and if you heard about all the suffering they indure. They are not
free to travel as we are. It is not safe anywhere, it is changing everything. And I
think it is good they go!! And when Canada is targeted by terrorist should we just
stick our heads back in the sand, and pretend it it someone else's problem? Yes it
is sad that they have to go, but thank goddess their are people who do.