Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What doesn't exist for reefing yet but you really, really wish it did? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119324)

ScubaSteve 04-30-2016 01:26 AM

What doesn't exist for reefing yet but you really, really wish it did?

Exactly as it say on the box:

What doesn't exist for reefing yet but you really, really wish it did?

Why do I ask?
I'm right at the end of my PhD in Engineering and so I will be working less and less with super high tech stuff on a daily basis... and I'm going to be getting antsy as all heck! While I have a few development projects on the go (super high resolution 3D printer, bike accessories, a few consumer electronic devices, etc), I am looking for cool ideas to work on as I burn through projects pretty quick.

It could be something everyone would want or something very specific to you, doesn't matter. If it catches my fancy or there is enough demand for it here on CanReef, I'll invent it and built it.

I have a full machine shop and prototyping lab at home, so I can build everything from car parts to electronics to nano materials. Don't worry if something can or can't be done - provided it exists within the laws of physics, I can find a way to make it happen. But please, no intentionally stupid ideas! (i.e. no "Boaty McBoatface" or equivalent)

Bring forth your wishes, my salty friends!

Oh, and I'm happy to say I'm back here on CanReef after a long absence! :biggrin:

vanreefer 04-30-2016 01:32 AM

I robot for the glass

Coasting 04-30-2016 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanreefer (Post 990106)
I robot for the glass

But that exists already....

WarDog 04-30-2016 01:50 AM

Programmable nanites that can target algaes and unwanted pests.

toytech 04-30-2016 02:18 AM

I cant think of anything but can you be my new dad , and can I live in your garage , I don't eat much . Seriously , do you need a 30 year old son?

AquaAddict 04-30-2016 03:03 AM

A truly DEAD SILENT pump.

I have never come across one no matter what they advertise. Right now I have an Aqua Clear 110 that started out somewhat quiet but now it is grinding away and I can't seem to do anything to quiet it down.

AquaAddict

FWC 04-30-2016 05:14 AM

A reef safe effective cure for ich and velvet.

Something to DECIMATE bubble algae.

ScubaSteve 04-30-2016 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaAddict (Post 990113)
A truly DEAD SILENT pump.

I have never come across one no matter what they advertise. Right now I have an Aqua Clear 110 that started out somewhat quiet but now it is grinding away and I can't seem to do anything to quiet it down.

AquaAddict

It surprises the hell out of me they still haven't figured this out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FWC (Post 990120)
A reef safe effective cure for ich and velvet.

Something to DECIMATE bubble algae.

Ooooh... Chemistry and biology! This is where I'm a viking. Very interested in this one.

ScubaSteve 04-30-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toytech (Post 990109)
I cant think of anything but can you be my new dad , and can I live in your garage , I don't eat much . Seriously , do you need a 30 year old son?

Hahahaha. I think you missed the part where I just finished aPhD. I'm too poor to own a garage :razz:

kooky 04-30-2016 01:11 PM

Monitors

I think if we had a probe/monitor that constantly shows the Calcium/Alkalinity/phosphate levels in your aquarium at all times without doing individual test, like a temperature or PH probe which are currently available, that would help the hobby immensely.