Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Carbon Dosing (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111334)

Steve... 01-05-2015 12:37 AM

Carbon Dosing

I started carbon dosing for just over a week now and wanted to see what your feedbacks are with carbon dosing and if there could be an increase in coloration of corals.

jordsyke 01-05-2015 01:26 AM

I have been carbon dosing for roughly 8-9 months. I find coloration is the same, only find problems when too much is dosed and nitrates drop below 2

Steve... 01-05-2015 01:53 AM

What do you mean by "Problems"? Bacteria bloom?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordsyke (Post 928564)
I have been carbon dosing for roughly 8-9 months. I find coloration is the same, only find problems when too much is dosed and nitrates drop below 2

jordsyke 01-05-2015 10:00 AM

No sps corals would start to die off and brown out, lps would start to shrink and not come out as much. I was using biopellets and found it too hard to control the dose, switchin to vinegar dosing has made this much easier. Using a dosing pump i test nitrates every 2 weeks to a month and adjust my pump time to keep them between 2-5

Steve... 01-06-2015 12:35 AM

Yes, Im doing the vinegar right now. Its going to be a lot cheaper too! Thanks for sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordsyke (Post 928636)
No sps corals would start to die off and brown out, lps would start to shrink and not come out as much. I was using biopellets and found it too hard to control the dose, switchin to vinegar dosing has made this much easier. Using a dosing pump i test nitrates every 2 weeks to a month and adjust my pump time to keep them between 2-5

jordsyke 01-06-2015 01:20 AM

I have a 120Gallon that is medium to heavy stocked. I feed heavily and I am only dosing 10ml of vinegar per day. But when I was bringing my nitrates down I was dosing up to 40ml per day, just make sure to cut ur dose down as you see nitrates dropping. I also run GFO to help reduce phosphates

kien 01-06-2015 04:11 AM

If bioPellets are still considered carbon dosing, then I've been doing it pretty much since I started my tank 5 years ago. I don't really have anything else to compare it to other than the fact that my nitrates go up when I run out of bioPellets and forget to top it up for a while.

dcw1sfu 01-06-2015 04:46 AM

Running All in One Bio-pellets and results have been great. Nitrates around around .5-2 and phosphates staying .01 (hanna checker) feeding super heavy.

Growth coloration and polyps on my sps have been fantastic since staring these 4-5 months ago and i only have to clean the glass maybe once a week.

Steve... 01-06-2015 03:27 PM

Besides checking testing the water, I guess our glass would be a good indicator right? Im cleaning my glass every two days right now

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw1sfu (Post 928769)
Running All in One Bio-pellets and results have been great. Nitrates around around .5-2 and phosphates staying .01 (hanna checker) feeding super heavy.

Growth coloration and polyps on my sps have been fantastic since staring these 4-5 months ago and i only have to clean the glass maybe once a week.

Steve... 01-06-2015 03:29 PM

Thanks Kein! Do you do anything else with your tank? Your corals always look great with crazy colours. How often are you changing your water?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 928758)
If bioPellets are still considered carbon dosing, then I've been doing it pretty much since I started my tank 5 years ago. I don't really have anything else to compare it to other than the fact that my nitrates go up when I run out of bioPellets and forget to top it up for a while.