Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Final Lighting Purchase...Which one to get? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=653)

Son Of Skyline 05-10-2002 05:56 PM

Final Lighting Purchase...Which one to get?

Please don't flame me for posting up another lighting post, I've done every search I could and I've read pages and pages of posts on lighting...but here goes...

I'll be upgrading my lighting in the next few days and I've narrowed it down to a few choices as they reportedly have similar performance (i think) and they all work out to roughly the same price for me. Which one of these would you guys use over this tank?

27gal 30" long x 12" wide x 18" high
SPS/Clam tank
3-4" DSB

1: Single 150w HQI 10k pendant without actinic

2: PFO EYE 250w ballast with Iwasaki, spider reflector and single 95w VHO actinic

3: PFO EYE 250w ballast with Iwasaki, spider and single 24" NO actinic (about $100 cheaper than the rest because I've already got the NO actinic)

4: Single 250w HQI 10k pendant without actinic (This one's about $50-$80 more than the rest, so it's only a maybe)

Either way I'm going to be hanging the main bulb from the ceiling, and if actinics are used, I'd be making up a mount to hang a bit over the back of the tank. Suggestions?

Troy F 05-10-2002 06:54 PM

Choice number 1. and add an actinic bulb for dawn and dusk would be the way I'd go.

pocilipora 05-10-2002 08:42 PM

Id go with #4 if you can afford changing your bulbs at $190 a pop!

Bob I 05-11-2002 11:24 AM

I am not sure if I want to butt in here, but since I have the same setup, I will. To begin with I guess that tank is called a 33 gallon using US gallons? I purchased a used Coralife pendant fixture for that tank (still available here in town for $150.00) It came with a used 175W Coralife bulb. I used that bulb for awhile, and had good success. But because the tank is a bit long for a single 175W bulb, I had a custom built tank made. It is 24x18x18, and better for a single light. I then bought the new Xanium H2 bulb, and installed that afew days ago. Have a look at my site to see what I talk about.
Bob

stephane 05-11-2002 11:40 AM

great color look Bob Ipema the problem whith the xanium is is lack of intensity and the litle knowlege about is long term survial and color shift

it will be very to dim to grow any hight light intensity demending coral in 175 or 250 watt IMO
but i agree the color seem nice

[ 11 May 2002, 07:41: Message edited by: stephane ]

StirCrazy 05-11-2002 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Ipema:
To begin with I guess that tank is called a 33 gallon using US gallons?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no actualy it is a 27gal using us gal, a 33 would be 36" long not 30"

Son Of Skyline,
your only going to have a water colume of 14 to 15", personaly I would go with your option #1, but mabe add your actinic bulb sence you already have it. if you don't feel the 150 watt HQI would be enuf punch then #3 with enuf actinic bulbs to get the look you want would be the next best. of course this is just my opinion. a 150W hqi bulbs is only a few more bucks than a iwasaki 250 bulbs..

Steve

Son Of Skyline 05-11-2002 06:32 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Seems like the 150w HQI might be the way to go. Only problem I can think of is whether it will be good enough to use on a larger tank when I upgrade. I don't wanna do this all over again on my 50gal.

StirCrazy 05-12-2002 12:41 AM

50 Gal is the same depth so I can see any problems in taking the 150 to the new tank.

Steve