Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   54g reef tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33848)

Melina 07-05-2007 07:07 AM

54g reef tank

Hi all,
Brand new to reef keeping, hope I can set this thing up right! I ordered a 54g tank & stand, it will be here in about 10 days. Today I called Hidden Reef and made some purchases. I got a 36" Tek-Light T5 High Output fixture, which holds 6 bulbs. I got 4 ATI Blue Plus 39W and 2 URI Super Actinic 39W. Mark from HR told me I could grow 60-70% of all corals with these lights so I'm happy with that (for now). Oh I also got 2 Coralife Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED Lights -3/4watt. I decided to go with the Remora Pro for skimming and I got a 75gpd ro/di. So that's a start. My plan is to purchase live Tonga Rock, about 70lbs, and 60lbs of Aragamax Select for the substrate. I am going to focus on growing soft corals to start with, I really like zoanthids! I'm in Terrace, BC. Glad to be here!

niloc16 07-05-2007 07:10 AM

welcome melina. sounds like your starting off right. good for you

Doug 07-05-2007 01:56 PM

Welcome to Canreef. :mrgreen:

michika 07-05-2007 03:10 PM

Hi, and welcome!

Sounds like you've started off right. I'm excited to see how everything progresses.

muck 07-05-2007 03:38 PM

Welcome to Canreef Melina.
Make sure to take progression photos for all of us.. :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap 07-05-2007 07:11 PM

OK Melina I hope your tank goes well.

We really should start up an Northwest BC Reefing group. We could arrange group orders of livestock and supplies.

Melina 07-05-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 258832)
OK Melina I hope your tank goes well.

We really should start up an Northwest BC Reefing group. We could arrange group orders of livestock and supplies.

Thanks guys!
I'm happy to be here!
Yes, a NW BC reefing group would be cool! We just moved into the area and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!! I've been in touch with another member on this forum, hawk, also from Terrace. trilinearmipmap, do you know of any other reefers in the area? PS I'm going to Rupert next week to go on an eco-educational tour with the kids. Apparently they have a "petting aquarium" on board the boat, with star fish, sea cucumbers, etc?

Melina 07-10-2007 04:33 AM

I ordered my tank & stand from the local Petland here in Terrace... I was expecting it to come in next week. Today, when I was in shopping for a qt tank I want to set up, the owner says to me, "oh yeah, by the way, we can't find a stand for your tank.. Hagen doesn't make any in that size". :sad: wtf??? They make the aquarium but have no stand for it? Apparently it's because the width is 18" instead of 16"? So I don't know... the guy is supposed to call another store in Vancouver tomorrow and let me know.

Carrera75 07-10-2007 06:19 AM

What are the dimensions of the stand you are looking for. Big Al's has a stand that's 36" Long X 19" Wide..........

NateL 07-10-2007 06:23 AM

Welcome to canreef!