Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Talk me into a Apex!!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96624)

banditpowdercoat 04-09-2013 10:00 PM

Talk me into a Apex!!!

I'm almost sold on a Apex controller. I work in a camp, 3wks in, 3 wks out. Would be awesome to be able to see my tank online. I have a PLC controller now, but no external monitoring or changes.

Headed to JL next monday so talk me into it!!

Delphinus 04-09-2013 10:11 PM

I must say I'm pretty happy with mine. Best tank related purchase I've made in a while. It has everything I need, nothing I don't, and the expandability/versatility seems to be there in case my needs change down the road.

What really sold me on the Apex versus others was that the power bars each have their own 110V plug so multiple powerbars can be easily split among different breakers.

I'm thinking of getting the floor leak module. Once that's in place I'll probably get it to do the email alerts, as well as maybe shut my skimmer down (most leaks are because I've let the skimmer goo slop bucket overflow).

I say go for it!

My only hesitation was that the price of a controller could have gone a long way towards funding my eventual switch to LEDs. But if you don't have other big purchases on your bucket list then yeah totally go for it..

lockrookie 04-09-2013 11:25 PM

+1

I love having the apex and have just ordered the leak detection for the same reason bloody skimmer collection container. I use my apex for everything. Especially I ally with my iPhone app. No more plugging in and unplugging pumps with wet hand just a tap on my phone and begin the water change or whatever maintenance needs I have. Wish I had a fish to automate a water change.. But I find that the uses are endless. And I haven't even tapped into its true potential yet. But I will say every plugable device on my tank is connected.

I did have one issue with a powerbar but Paul at Neptune was awesome and there where no difficulties with warranty. If it wasnt for ups's screw up it would have been flawless. These guys care about thier customers. Just follow them on Facebook or twitter they go out of thier way to help ppl out.

So yes take the plunge and do it. Worth more than the money you'll spend

daniella3d 04-10-2013 12:46 AM

I will do the opposite, get a Reef Angel with a wifi module. Does anything you want for half the price of an Apex. It even come with a ATO and 2 float switch. I put one for my top off and one to shut down my skimmer in case it overflow.

I love my Reef Angel.

Also if you are leaving town often, a webcam is a nice addition to the Iphone application for the controller. When I go on vacations I have my Iphone application where I can monitor salinity, PH, temperature etc, and I can control lights, pumps, skimmer etc, but I can also watch my tank with the high resolution web cam.

Aquattro 04-10-2013 01:52 AM

Don't listen to her ^ , she's crazy!! :) Get the Apex already, you know you want it.

BlueTang<3 04-10-2013 01:55 AM

BUY A APEX
You know u want it
:)

I am on the fence between upgrading to apex or proflix so I am gonna tag in this thread.

Delphinus 04-10-2013 02:30 AM

The Profilux is definitely a nice unit but I chose Apex because it was quite a bit less, plus the power bars as I mentioned let you split among different circuits if you're trying to load balance. Also the Apex (at least the regular model) comes with a 8 plug power bar whereas I think it's 6 on the Profilux.

I would imagine it's hard to go wrong either way though..

madchild 04-10-2013 02:31 AM

Another vote for apex. I love mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Kryptic4L 04-10-2013 02:49 AM

Another vote for apex I despise digital aquatics. Reef angel looks interesting, would be deadly if it had more market control. Open source with a large community = win. As all problems can be fixed b the community

banditpowdercoat 04-10-2013 02:53 AM

Looks like JL will take 4 of my toadstool frags, So hey taxes will be paid on it HAHAHAHA

mameroo2000 04-10-2013 03:39 AM

You can program apex to do auto water change when you are in camp
This is my next project with apex .
Buy apex

FragIt Dan 04-10-2013 04:07 AM

Talk me into a Apex!!!

I am sitting in Hariot Bay on Quadra Island tuning my Ca Reactor and DIY LEDs in Nanaimo via my Apex app (no cell reception here, just wireless Internet). I just set my 2nd unit up on my DT and love them. Setup can be a challenge but the community is incredible with support and once setup is done it is great. I travel extensively for work during the summer and am really happy with my Apex units particularly while I am away.

Dan

Simons 04-10-2013 04:33 AM

a tank controller is the ultimate in piece of mind technology. If you travel allot or even just want to check in when at work locally, it's a perfect tool to get a quick update. You can monitor pretty much anything you want, ph, temp, lighting, dosing and flooding events. It will send you emails and txt when things happen. Combine that with a decent IP wireless camera and not only can you just monitor but you can view as well!

The other part to consider is this..your away out of town working and you DO get an alert...you should always have someone reef tank aware and semi familiar with your system that you can call upon to go and investigate. I can't image what would be worse...not knowing about something catastrophic until you walk through your front door OR knowing its happening RIGHT NOW but not able to do anything about it!

daniella3d 04-10-2013 04:50 AM

haha, yes so crazy...

499$ - The Apex System comes complete with:

Apex Base Unit
Energy Bar 8 (or Energy Bar 6)
Apex Display Module
Long-life Temperature Probe
Standard or Lab pH Probe

no ATO for that price???!! (more money) and not wifi so you still have to buy a game adapter (another 50$) if you don't want a cable running through your house up to your router...

329$ - Reef angel:

Power bar with 8 controllable outlets
Display module and base unit
temperatur probe
PH probe
ATO with 2 float switch
Wifi module, so no need for a cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 810080)
Don't listen to her ^ , she's crazy!! :) Get the Apex already, you know you want it.

slakker 04-10-2013 04:55 AM

I have an old Apex III controller and it's saved my butt a few times... the alarm is setup so it emails me, which in itself is good... but the kicker was when I was out of town and one of the halides burnt out and the ballast was humming... my wife calls me in a panic and I was able to login to the controller and shut off the power to the ballast and fix it when I got home a few days later!

Simons 04-10-2013 05:02 AM

isn't there a wireless module for the Apex now?

scubadawg 04-10-2013 05:08 AM

I have 2 Apex systems, full system with 2 powerbar 8, temp, orb, ph, salanity, module for powerheards, and a basic Apex Jr, with 2 powerbar 4

3rd system is a Digital Aquatics Lite.

I prefer the Apex system.

Aquattro 04-10-2013 10:45 AM

The reef angel may or may not be a decent piece of equipment, but I like the Apex support. The company itself is great, and there are hundreds of users ready and willing to help with any config question you have, and you'll have many. It's not always about saving a few bucks. It's about saving grief trying to get it all figured out.

Evilweevil 04-10-2013 12:46 PM

An apex once saved my baby

daniella3d 04-10-2013 01:33 PM

support? There is no best support than the Reef Angel support.

I ask in the RA forum about a program to trigger the feed mode so that my neighbourg would be able to trigger it from just one click on my small notebook when I leave for vacations. Problem is that my notebook is just a small thing with bearely any power or memory, so I needed a small application that would run without too much ressources. They suggested me a small Java application but it was lacking the feed mode.

So I go ahead and ask in the forum if it was possible to have one with the feed more and water change mode, and the programmer did it the same day and in the evening I had my program ready to download and to use with all the features I wanted. Now that some serious support!!

I now have a very small application in java that control my tank, show me the stats and send me email and text message alerts. The beauty of the RA is that anything can be done. It is not limited to what the company's programmers decided to do, you're in full control. I have absolutely zero knowledge in programmation either.

Apex is great but so much more expensive and even if you buy the full thing at full price (499$) you still are lacking the wifi connectivity and the ATO, you need to pay even more for those.

The RA is supported by a large community that is not so much aimed at profit (many are doing it for free) and the cost of development for the product and software is much lower than with a company that MUST hire programmers to produce their software for a lot of $$$$. So probably Apex must charge so much to compensate the cost of development which is pretty much free with the RA and its community.

But above all, the RA is FUN! :) I am always on the look out for some new things to make it do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 810173)
The reef angel may or may not be a decent piece of equipment, but I like the Apex support. The company itself is great, and there are hundreds of users ready and willing to help with any config question you have, and you'll have many. It's not always about saving a few bucks. It's about saving grief trying to get it all figured out.

banditpowdercoat 04-10-2013 02:38 PM

Ohh my cart has a Apex in it on JL site. But if I got it this morn Wonder if the mail would get it here Friday. I'm only 4.5hrs drive away. in 100 Mile House...

BMW Rider 04-10-2013 02:42 PM

Another happy Apex owner here. I replaced my Aquatronica controller with an Apex last year after it died. The Apex is leaps and bounds ahead of the Aquatronica. I'm hardly even scratching the surface of the possibilities with the Apex. It does have a bit of a steep learning curve at first to figure out the programming, but once it's set up, it runs flawlessly. I have a wireless connection to mine, but still have not configured the remote access as I've not had much need or purpose for that. I do have plans to expand on it at some point. One of the nice things about it is that you can use alternately sourced input switches for many functions using the breakout box. I reused the float switch from my Aquatronica, minus the adapter module, and used a micro switch on the cabinet door to turn on the refuge light when doing maintenance.

FitoPharmer 04-10-2013 04:32 PM

My apex cost more then the my entire 20G setup, and it is worth every penny.

cblair 04-10-2013 05:29 PM

Yup another apex vote! It's awesome to be able o monitor and control your tank while your at work or away on a trip. Definitely worth every cent.

moppy 04-11-2013 05:12 PM

LOVE my apex...

Don't really know how I ran a tank without one. (OK, I do but it really does help A LOT!)

Midway 04-11-2013 05:30 PM

Apex all the way here too. Everything about maintenance of my tank is so much easier now with this controller, since water changes to shut off pumps, skimmer, return pumps, etc, etc, etc. Feed mode, email alerts, love it!. Really piece of mind about temp issues. If one of my heaters act up and fails at the on position, my tank would NOT be fried. If temp goes higher than I programmed it, please SHUT IT OFF!! yayyyyy
And everything I do it straight from my iPhone at home or away. Worth every single penny.

aquatechy 04-12-2013 06:44 AM

Why you should get an apex:

-Good build quality
-Best rate for dollar/controllable outlet (an energy bar 8 is close to the price of digital aquatic's 4-socket power bar.... hinthinthinthint...)
-Iphone/android app
remote monitoring
-AMAZEBALLLS customer service
-VDM module (built in if you buy pro) - good for controlling tunze pumps, lights, or DIY LEDS
-data logging + graphing
-has I/O breakout to run switches, auto-top off
-can interface with Ecotech Vortech pumps (and radions too,in the future I hear?)
-the APEX has it's own programming language, which is easily mastered. you can use this to design programming. for example, i have a special calcium reactor program, that keeps my calcium reactor pH between 6.4 and 6.6, but also monitors my tank pH to ensure it stays above 7.90. If it goes below 7.90, the reactor is shut off, no matter what.
-email alerts! (the APEX can be programmed to email you when things go awry with your tank)
-sound alarm (the same as email alerts, but this works well if you're at home)
- with the newly released leak detection module, the APEX can also protect your home with some strategically placed water sensors (can monitor floors, carpet, skimmer cup)
-ease of access to parts (J&L, MarineDepot, and Neptune systems are readily accessible to get parts and accessories)

allie_san 04-12-2013 12:27 PM

I've been tagging along on this thread since I can't decide between an apex and profilux..
Is there anything the profilux has over the apex? (ignoring the costs)

Aquattro 04-12-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allie_san (Post 810978)

Pretty blue light display? :)

FishyFishy! 04-12-2013 01:09 PM

Just did a price comparison between Apex and this "Reef Angel" controller.......because my next purchase is a controller.

To make them do the same things (this is what I would want them to do as a base)

Temp
PH
Salinity
2 X powerbars
ATO
Wifi

Apex - $934.95
Reef Angel - $889.00

And the Apex has a tonne more controllable options, and the Breakout Box included in the quote has a lot of wikid features.... So APEX FTW.

Main issue with the Reef Angel is that you need to add an expensive "expansion module" for every little thing you want to add.

Lexy 04-12-2013 01:41 PM

Apex

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat (Post 810188)
Ohh my cart has a Apex in it on JL site. But if I got it this morn Wonder if the mail would get it here Friday. I'm only 4.5hrs drive away. in 100 Mile House...

I got mine from Ray at reefsupplies.ca . I think he can ship it over night. Great product and service.

sphelps 04-12-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allie_san (Post 810978)
I've been tagging along on this thread since I can't decide between an apex and profilux..

I'd say there are things the profilux can do better than apex. For example Apex can control tunze pumps but profilux has better control options for various waves and randomizing features built in. Apex can also control LEDs but profilux has built in Light Composer which offers the same control as the Mitra so for any DIY style fixtures this could be substantial. It has more features built in and most advanced features are easier to add and integrate. Programming is easier, I believe the software is better and parts are suppose to be more reliable and better quality, however not saying apex has issues. For example the power pars cost more because they come with double pole industrial relays able to cope with large demands and are user serviceable and they only have 6 sockets per strip because it will reduce the risk of overload. Profilux hardware reliability is to the point where you just don't find dead units, ever.

I would guess that the Apex could actually do anything the profilux can but getting there would not be as easy. Profilux is more plug and play for the most part, Apex can require a little more advanced programming and setup from what I understand.

In the end you just pick the controller that does what you want for the money you're willing to spend. Pretty sure they can all do what's needed, how you get there is usually the difference.

The Codfather 04-12-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 811006)
I'd say there are things the profilux can do better than apex.
I would guess that the Apex could actually do anything the profilux can but getting there would not be as easy. Profilux is more plug and play for the most part, Apex can require a little more advanced programming and setup from what I understand.

Id agree. I have a P3 and would never go back to anything else. The programming is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but now the possibilities are pretty much endless.

The Codfather 04-12-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 810982)
Main issue with the Reef Angel is that you need to add an expensive "expansion module" for every little thing you want to add.

But.......if your any good at coding, this controller has more features than Apex.

Aquattro 04-12-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Codfather (Post 811008)
The programming is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but now the possibilities are pretty much endless.

I think they're both the same that way. When I was choosing a controller, I figured out what I was going to need. While the Profilux had a couple of things easier to do, I didn't need that functionality, and while my LFS was really cutting the cost he was going to give it to me for, the Apex was still a lot less and fit my needs better. With Tunze and AI, the native support worked well. I also didn't want the Profilux display, I like the smaller Apex better, again, for my needs. Quality has been great, vendor and peer support is amazing, and I'm glad I went the direction I did. I think both probably have limitations(maybe??), but for most users, they're likely way beyond what you typically need anyway.

The Codfather 04-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 811011)
I also didn't want the Profilux display.

Doesnt like the display..doesnt like the colour...
:boink:

I run everything through my computer, Id think that any display would be a problem. Im old and cant see......

Aquattro 04-12-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Codfather (Post 811014)
Doesnt like the display..doesnt like the colour...
:boink:

I run everything through my computer, Id think that any display would be a problem. Im old and cant see......

No no, I like the color, just not spending money for color. I also use my laptop for all access, so the smaller display mounted to the side of my canopy worked better.

reeferfulton 04-12-2013 03:43 PM

I am starting to really like my apex as well .
Slowly programming it to do everything i want .

I too use my computer for doing most things throught the apex . Except the display is really nice to see the temp and ph , and really nice to trigger a feed mode cycle . Just walk up push 1 button and your powerheads turn off ! its great

definitely go with an apex

kien 04-12-2013 05:46 PM

I bought a Profilux but every time I go to use it I wish that I had gotten an Apex.. Thankfully I don't actually have to use my Profilux very often. Still, wish I had an Apex.

daniella3d 04-12-2013 05:57 PM

I have no idea how you did your price comparaison but the RA with a temp probe, PH, a salinity module, 2 power bars of 8 outlets and wifi is 577 $ not 889$!! that's still 357$ less than the Apex package.

The temp, ph and ATO come STANDARD with the basic model at 219$. All you need to add is the salinity module and the wifi adapter and the second power bars to get a total of 16 outlets.

I am going to get the ORP as my salinity don't vary with the ATO, and my controller is still going to cost me just 430$ for temp, ph, orp, ATO, wifi and 8 outlets. That's about half the Apex price for these options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 810982)
Just did a price comparison between Apex and this "Reef Angel" controller.......because my next purchase is a controller.

To make them do the same things (this is what I would want them to do as a base)

Temp
PH
Salinity
2 X powerbars
ATO
Wifi

Apex - $934.95
Reef Angel - $889.00