Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Other Hobby Addictions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94193)

Baldy 01-31-2013 06:11 PM

Other Hobby Addictions

So I was wondering the other day, how many aquarists are like me and have more than one hobby their hoplessly addicted to.

Myself, I'm into rc aircraft. I have 2 fuel powered helicopters with 50" rotorspans, and 3 airplanes ranging from 35" to 74" wingspans, all electric, and one that I've clocked at 210 kph.

On top of that I've been known to spend a few too many hours playing video games :P.

How about you guys?

ScubaSteve 01-31-2013 06:22 PM

Not so much as of late because of my PhD but a sample of my hobby list looks something like:

Gardening/farming
Rebuilding cars
Mountain biking
3D printing/ CNC machining
RC Ducted Jets
Guitar, bass and drums
Electronics
Brewing beer

... And it goes on. This isn't like dabbling here and there. We're talking full on into each.

Flash 01-31-2013 06:24 PM

47 crested geckos...... nuff said

Madmak 01-31-2013 06:25 PM

Photography, dogs, hockey, woodworking, home theater, jet skis, coaching sports, LOR controlled Xmas lights, snowboarding, hiking, camping, RC cars, anything Apple...

Way too many hobbies, not enough time.

Madmak 01-31-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 788510)
47 crested geckos...... nuff said

Shut the front door!

Flash 01-31-2013 06:28 PM

front, back, side and garage doors.... and there will be many more this year....

at least.... 20 more babies!

Baldy 01-31-2013 06:34 PM

I guess I can add car audio to the list. I thought I outgrew it being 28 now, but last hear I got the urge to tweak my blazer just a little :D

lastlight 01-31-2013 06:40 PM

browsing this forum has got to be its own hobby i think.

Flash 01-31-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 788516)
browsing this forum has got to be its own hobby i think.

+1

Reef Pilot 01-31-2013 07:03 PM

I like to build and fly aircraft, esp amphib floatplanes. Here is one of my planes (took me 8 years to build it) and a favorite alpine lake destination, Skwawka Lake (only accessible by floatplane).
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...ps598fb601.jpg

And a couple youtubes flying into and out of there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IpF5Wnj1Qg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHEplZPaGY

JDigital 01-31-2013 07:10 PM

Video games tops the chart for me. I race 2 nights a week in a competitive online F1 race league. The season lasts 19 weeks with 4 1 weeks breaks so definitely takes up a lot of time when you factor is additional practice time on top of the 1.5 hour race sessions.

Photography is another one, but I have sort of taken a break from it. Would like to get back into it now that I am back into reefing though.

Madmak 01-31-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 788525)
I like to build and fly aircraft, esp amphib floatplanes. Here is one of my planes (took me 8 years to build it) and a favorite alpine lake destination, Skwawka Lake (only accessible by floatplane).

ÜBER jealous!!

Baldy 01-31-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...ps598fb601.jpg

And a couple youtubes flying into and out of there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IpF5Wnj1Qg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHEplZPaGY

That's awesome! I finished my private license 3 years ago and have hardly flown since. I want to build a challenger II but don't know when time and finances will allow. I guess I have some time yet tho :D

Reef Pilot 01-31-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy (Post 788540)
That's awesome! I finished my private license 3 years ago and have hardly flown since. I want to build a challenger II but don't know when time and finances will allow. I guess I have some time yet tho :D

Well, if you have your PPL, you're well on your way. I just wouldn't pick that one to build, though.

I consider flying a gift and a privilege. People just don't know what they are missing. And it is a lot easier to do than most think.

toxic111 01-31-2013 08:42 PM

Add me to the list of a PPL... Though I have't had any stick time in around 5 years... :( I hope to get going again soon though.

Other hobbies seem endless, I hunt, camp & fish. Leaving for a 7 day African hunt in May. Will be my first trip there... That is eating a little of the reef fund, lol.

xenon 01-31-2013 08:50 PM

I am into wakeboarding, wakeskating and wakesurfing.

I just wish I had more time to ride!!!!!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26003034/moomba.jpg

Baldy 01-31-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 788543)
Well, if you have your PPL, you're well on your way. I just wouldn't pick that one to build, though.

I consider flying a gift and a privilege. People just don't know what they are missing. And it is a lot easier to do than most think.

SHHH! don't tell people that secret. Its more fun when you tell them and they're a little in awe.

strickrick 02-01-2013 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hockey (both watching and playing ice/ball), working with anything stone or rustic wood, home theater and all electronic gadgets, pond (approx 3500 gallons) with many new un-added additions (will be trading a few in the spring/summer), drinking and having fun with my friends (have to list it because its probably more costly than all the others listed combined, lol), cats (three monsters running this place now with the bengal kitten just dominating two nearly 30lb-ers!!!), and I guess I should mention my job (ROV operator). I think the aquarium hobby was what peeked my interest and opened the door to this career.

Attachment 10707

The Atlantic wolffish (Anarhichas lupus) - we see these quite frequently and they are very territorial. They will literally attack our ROV (the size of a small minivan). Although according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_wolffish they will only attack humans when defending itself out of the water but I've heard stories from divers stating otherwise!!!

Dearth 02-01-2013 01:54 PM

Computer gaming mostly MMORPGs tried console gaming but its boring and repetitive

Eating and sleeping

Surfing the net

Finding new ways to annoy my cats

craigwmiller 02-01-2013 02:26 PM

R/C Car racing & R/C plane/heli flying... here's one of the planes:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53801997/misc/dietrich260.jpg

Reef Pilot 02-01-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigwmiller (Post 788772)
R/C Car racing & R/C plane/heli flying... here's one of the planes:

I'm surprised how many of you guys are into R/C. I know that it takes a lot of work and craftsmanship to build those. And have to admire the flying skills, esp when on the ground and the plane is coming toward you...

But having said that, it wouldn't be much of a step to build a real one that you can fly and go places with. And still proudly display your creations, and compete in shows, if that is what you are into.

Dez 02-01-2013 02:48 PM

1. Scuba Diving. Have had my open water for just over a year and have logged about 20 hours under water already.

2. RC Car racing. New to this hobby and it's what taking my time from reeding.

3. Foosball. I play competitively in a league and am going to Portland for a tournament next weekend.

4. Pond. We just built a massive pond in our yard and have fun raising koi. We've had a smaller pond in our front yard for 7 years.

5. Snowboarding. Going on a snowboarding day trip to the mountains on the same weekend that I'm going to Portland for foosball (and fitting in an out of town RC race in between on the same weekend).

6. Traveling. I'm addicted to it. From Dec 1 - Feb 9 (10 weeks), I'll have gone on 12 flights - all pleasure, not business.

All this and family is still #1 on the list. That's why I'm still married and my kids still love me haha. A few of these hobbies I do with my spouse and kids though.

nrosdal 02-01-2013 02:53 PM

Mine is Crossfit. It is the only thing i have ever found that is more addictive then reefing/aquariums.

Spyd 02-01-2013 03:06 PM

Ball hockey has got to be my all-time favourite thing to do as of late. I used to be an avid volleyball player but my back can't handle it anymore. I also enjoy riding our horses but that is more of a seasonal thing. I get bored riding around an arena in circles... I much prefer riding out in the bush.

Coralgurl 02-01-2013 03:17 PM

Love the R/C planes. My dad used to build and fly many years ago. He won a number of awards for his planes at shows in Detroit and was part of a flying club. He still builds the occassional one, but he can't fly them anymore.

I am debating getting into modding my car. For now it would be more esthetics, nothing for performance as I am not mechanically inclined. Lots of folks consider that a hobby.....:lol: I've heard it can become quite addicting, so I've been doing lots of research and trying to decide what I want to do.

We also do a lot of camping in the summer, I love to read when I can find time, hiking, cycling.

Delphinus 02-01-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Oh man, that won't be addictive at all.. Haha wow. Got a kick out those flies sure sure going berserk when you took off too..

Reef Pilot 02-01-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 788788)
Oh man, that won't be addictive at all.. Haha wow. Got a kick out those flies sure sure going berserk when you took off too..

Well, it also fits in with mountain top (above the tree line) hiking, which I enjoy as well. I just need to become a better photographer so I can share. Usually, I rely on my pax for that, but they sometimes are more consumed with the moment, than taking good pics.

I also rigged up a canoe that can I carry into these alpine lakes. That further enhances the experience. Good for fishing, too. Here's a couple more youtubes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN2JNeOc14U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll0lbm0TpBg

lastlight 02-01-2013 03:54 PM

that looks like fun! i don't know a thing about planes but would have thought you'd mount the canoe elevated off the supports between the float thingies. to make the plane more evenly weighted?

As for hobbies I'm pretty boring but I do like distance running. Kien and I have run several races together.

Reef Pilot 02-01-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 788798)
that looks like fun! i don't know a thing about planes but would have thought you'd mount the canoe elevated off the supports between the float thingies. to make the plane more evenly weighted?

Yeah, on the surface, that would seem to make sense. In reality though, it doesn't work there, because that is a high pressure area in flight, and the airflow that goes back to your tail gets disturbed, which is not good (could be catastrophic, actually).

The area on top of your floats is mostly neutral and has the least drag and effect on airflow. I have tie-up ropes, with one end just sitting on top of the floats, and they stay there (unless I do some unusual maneuvers).

Weight distribution side to side doesn't matter much, as the canoe only weighs 40 lbs. And any imbalance in flight (weight or drag) is compensated for with your ailerons and rudder. I carry up to 300 lbs of fuel in my wings, which has a much greater effect on weight distribution, and even that has minimal effect. With weight, the greater concern always is forward or aft, as that affects your center of gravity, which matters a lot more.

Pan 02-01-2013 04:58 PM

I have 6322 Books :)

jostafew 02-01-2013 05:05 PM

Surprising number of R/C flyers in this thread, myself included! I've been thinning my fleet latley (to fund my last reef build :lol:) but I've currently got a Trex 450 Pro, and four planes including one purpose built to carry my GoPro for aerial videography. All electric.

After that my other hobbies at the moment are photography, autocross, and mountain biking. Sadly this whole work thing is really interfering with my leisure activities!

Proteus 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Sandwiches.

Baldy 02-01-2013 07:07 PM

some awesome replies guys!! I guess it really doesnt come as much of a surprise to me how many people are into rc as well. its very much a tinkering hobby, much like aquariums are. or maybe i make it a tinkering hobby because thats what i enjoy =P

Haloreef 02-01-2013 08:32 PM

Hobbies

75 Poison Dart Frogs.... nuff said.
Keith.

magikof7 02-01-2013 09:50 PM

I do so many things. I can't keep up lol.
I am teaching myself the art of Pysanky, (drawing on eggs)
I have an embroidery sewing machine I like to work with fabric making table cloths, towel sets..You name it. I am trying my hand at making quilts. I make cage liners and houses for my critters. (WOW! since when did I become a big Gurl!? lol)
I read, Finally had to get an Ereader because I have boxes and boxes of books.
I'm about to take up Skidoo-ing. :D
In the summer time...Camping! fishing, boating.
last summer my Dad and I rebuilt his jet boat. I enjoy working with my hands.
I'm also a gamer. although I don't have a lot time to play with the kids and pets but I do like to play when I need down time.

I spent my childhood camping in farmers fields, and numerous other places while My Dad raced formula 1 and quickie rc planes every weekend (even when there was snow on the ground) . He was an active member of the rc clubs here in Calgary. The hours spent in his hobby room while he was building a plane from scratch while Mom read to him. She and Dad also used to race rc cars.
The smell of Hot stuff and mixed epoxy brings those days back. :D

freezetyle 02-01-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrosdal (Post 788778)
Mine is Crossfit. It is the only thing i have ever found that is more addictive then reefing/aquariums.

Do you go to the bod squad? Fellow crossfitter as well

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

toytech 02-01-2013 11:50 PM

reading , cars old , and or 4x4 , getting into bushcraft and getting my PAL so i can hang a 30-30 lever on the wall.

SanguinesDream 02-02-2013 06:55 AM

I have a fish rescue. I have ads in the local papers "please don't flush your fish. Will even pay a small fee" Then I set up tanks in seniors homes, the hospital, anywhere there are folks in need, and maintain them on my dime.

I also rescue feral cats/kittens, rehab and socialize them, spay/neuter them and adopt them out at no cost. I've also rescued two horses from the meat truck, two bearded dragons, two red earred sliders, two gerbils and a fire-bellied toad. At times, I provide a foster home for dog/puppies and I can't even guesstimate how many cats/kittens we've rescued but our feral cat issue no longer exists in our neighborhood.

Ironically, I am an avid hunter of all North American big game, though I don't fish.

Baldy 02-02-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toytech (Post 788959)
reading , cars old , and or 4x4 , getting into bushcraft and getting my PAL so i can hang a 30-30 lever on the wall.

I Didn't add shooting because I just recently sold all my shooting stuff. I used o handload for my 223. shot out to 500 yards pretty good! But I had to prioritize my hobbies and unfortunately that one didn't make the list with a wedding coming up.

nrosdal 02-02-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freezetyle (Post 788932)
Do you go to the bod squad? Fellow crossfitter as well

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Crossfit Okanagan. currently am on forced r and r due to rupture of my pec tendon durring a muscle up :( I am 7 weeks post surgery. So only another 2-3 months and i will be back at 70-80% and able to feed my addiction again.