Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How many of you sneak things home? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74356)

cathyg_99 04-04-2011 03:49 AM

How many of you sneak things home?

Just curious as to how many of you sneak things into your tank so your significant other doesn't get mad because you bought another fish thing...

I know I do... Did you buy a new pump? None I just replumbed it... And that's not a new coral I moved it from the back...

hound96 04-04-2011 03:55 AM

can't the other half knows the finances right down to the last penny

Edmonton newbie 04-04-2011 03:58 AM

no point here we maintain seperate accounts and as long as all the bills get paid nothing is said about new fish or equipment :)

Ian 04-04-2011 03:59 AM

Is it sneaking if you just don't mention a new addition....:mrgreen:
No thats not a new fish it is just getting its adult colors now is another favorite on mine

The Grizz 04-04-2011 04:50 AM

As long as I have cash in my wallet and don't have to use the debit card I can sometime manage to sneak the odd thing home :biggrin:

es355lucille 04-04-2011 04:53 AM

The Red Coral Procedure

I just ensure that Doug at Red Coral does not say the price out loud. My wife comes along to look at the fish and corals and there is not usually a problem until one day Doug says out loud "That will be $525.00" ----->>>then I get a look!!!!!!!! and a WTF! Seriously I could walk out with a large skimmer packed in a giant box and she might ask me what it is.....LOL! I love her.. he he

Now that I have Doug trained........we are good to go into Red Coral again! LOL!

abcha0s 04-04-2011 05:09 AM

Yeah, my wife knows what my general tank budget is, but not how I spend it. I don't tell her how much each item costs. If she knew I spent $300 on a fish or $700 on a powerhead, I'm not sure she would be all that impressed.

I'm not beyond telling her that the MP60s are really just cheap pumps :smile: I did tell her what I paid for my lights though.

Lance 04-04-2011 05:15 AM

No secrets in this house; we both enjoy the tanks. Besides, she can't say much, she spends as much on her crafts.

fishoholic 04-04-2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es355lucille (Post 604083)

Now that I have Doug trained........

You mean he can be trained :lol: :razz:

In the past I often mislead my ex as to what fish related stuff I had or what it cost or how I got it. Now I don't need to since Doug is usually with me when I buy something, or he just brings me fish stuff :mrgreen: Have I mentioned how wonderful he is :love:

globaldesigns 04-04-2011 05:36 AM

Nope, no secrets here.

Raven34 04-04-2011 06:09 AM

My wife thinks show size Queen angels and such cost around 40$.

rynoe 04-04-2011 06:53 AM

My wife was away for the weekend last month and I upgraded from a 72 bowfront to a 135. Couldn't really hide it. I will be making it up to her for the next year i'm sure.

es355lucille 04-04-2011 01:17 PM

Trained might be a bad word, lets just say we have an understanding. LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 604093)
You mean he can be trained :lol: :razz:

staceyd72 04-04-2011 01:34 PM

Hi,

I have a budget for my hobby, as long as the item(s) are within my budget all is well.

I don't get upset when my spouse spends money on things that I feel is 'uhh'

My rule is, if I can't pay cash for it then I cannot afford it :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathyg_99 (Post 604062)
Just curious as to how many of you sneak things into your tank so your significant other doesn't get mad because you bought another fish thing...

reefwars 04-04-2011 02:22 PM

ummm just read my signature lol

cathyg_99 04-04-2011 02:28 PM

umm... well i would say i do all of the above, good to know that im not the only one haha... hes gone for 3 weeks then i leave and already theres pulsing xenia, toad stool, frogspawn and im sure more by the time he gets back... The purple mushrooms grow into toad stools right? thats believable?

oh he also didnt notice that i put 2 blue chromis in the tank he thought they came with the rock, like the emerald crab we found... I love him but hes so dumb some times

ALang 04-04-2011 02:37 PM

Yes I do sneak things into the house.
Other spouses sneak shoes and purses, I just do corals and fish. Don't know why I still do that, maybe it's due to the amount of SPSs that I regularly killed before I can get them to grow...Now it's just a habit.:mrgreen:

Takes him months to actually notice something new, unless it's a fish, then it's hard to hide that fact.:twised:

Dez 04-04-2011 03:09 PM

I don't really have to. She knows the aquarium is expensive to run and start, but she loves it. It sometimes takes a little bit of convincing to buy a $300 goldflake angel though. But in the end, everybody is usually happy.

sgreen 04-04-2011 03:12 PM

We can't hide anything from each other...we are both into this as much as the other is!!! We have both become 'addicted' to this hobby, so, it let's us do something that we both enjoy...together. And we usually go to the LFS' together to check out what is new. Or for me, sometimes, just to socialize while Jim is looking at something.

paddyob 04-04-2011 03:20 PM

If you can't be honest with your spouse/partner thats too bad.

My wife does not like what or when I buy stuff... but I would rather her be mad at me for a day than feel like I am always lying to her.

Better to be trust worthy 100% than give her a reason to think I lie about other things too.

Just my 2 cents.

Leah 04-04-2011 03:45 PM

You mean there are some that don't sneak stuff in. :lol: :biggrin:

dsaundry 04-04-2011 04:01 PM

I just tell her it must have multiplied:mrgreen:, she laughs and walks away.. all good, more or less....the odd time perhaps.

Edmonton newbie 04-04-2011 04:07 PM

wow gotta say i like my situation the best lol in 08 i left the house for a 10 day trip to fort mac driving a minivan and can back 10 days later in a new pathfinder all that was said was she liked the mod work i had done lol. I probablly should have told her i was thinking of upgrading before the papers were signed and in the driveway lol once that went through anything for the tanks doesnt even bat an eyelash

jorjef 04-04-2011 04:09 PM

Is lying by ommision "REALLY" lying.... wife..." so that coral, it cost about about $50.00??" Me ... " mmm hmm".....We have seperate accounts so not a big deal, she just rolls her eyes..

rocks 04-04-2011 04:22 PM

What my husband doesn't notice doesn't hurt him. or hurt my ears

riceboy 04-04-2011 04:46 PM

lol i've sneaked in coral and fish at 11:-12 at night before, but my mom keeps a keen eye on my tank and takes notice of everything lol, i just tell her i get it for free or for 5-10 bucks from buddies lol, or i just tell her that i'm not spending money on boos or drugs just on corals and fish lol

phi delt reefer 04-04-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy (Post 604193)
lol i've sneaked in coral and fish at 11:-12 at night before, but my mom keeps a keen eye on my tank and takes notice of everything lol, i just tell her i get it for free or for 5-10 bucks from buddies lol, or i just tell her that i'm not spending money on boos or drugs just on corals and fish lol

lol this could go one of two ways :) - wife would be very mad if it wasnt booze, but the other :D, LMAO

i am smart. I show her all of your 100+ gallon builds with Deltec Skimmers/ Vertex LEDs etc. Then when i go buy my stuff she thinks i am practically stealing it from the retailer!

all jokes aside - what my wife spends on MAC makeup/Guess/Marciano/Diesel jeans/tanning/purses is no where near what my initial investment into my system will be. She has 50+ pairs of jeans - most are $150 a pair. She has a couple that cost $300. As long as we both pay our bills each month - we dont say anything... just cringe, lol.

cathyg_99 04-04-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddyob (Post 604168)
If you can't be honest with your spouse/partner thats too bad.

My wife does not like what or when I buy stuff... but I would rather her be mad at me for a day than feel like I am always lying to her.

Better to be trust worthy 100% than give her a reason to think I lie about other things too.

Just my 2 cents.

I tell him after the fact it's just funny to see that he has no clue when the tank is completely redone he thinks it all looks the same

paddyob 04-04-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy (Post 604193)

Uhmm... your Mom? Monthly allowance? Ha ha! JK.

riceboy 04-04-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddyob (Post 604200)
Uhmm... your Mom? Monthly allowance? Ha ha! JK.

The price you pay for living with your parents still lol

Lysa.anne 04-04-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathyg_99 (Post 604062)

I know I do... Did you buy a new pump? None I just replumbed it... And that's not a new coral I moved it from the back...

No secrets here! He's just as addicted to the aquarium as I am :)

es355lucille 04-04-2011 06:10 PM

Thats a good way to go and is the same as us. My wife (KissMyWrasse) loves the aquarium as myself and one of our kids has asthma....so no doggies which she would love to have. So we have......well fish and other marine critters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysa.anne (Post 604213)
No secrets here! He's just as addicted to the aquarium as I am :)

Madreefer 04-04-2011 06:29 PM

I do. So wheres the poll?

chewie 04-04-2011 08:49 PM

Yeah, I used to sneek stuff all the time. After many suck up episodes after she notices I decided to bring her to local fs with me. Once there it is me telling her that we shouldnt get this or that just yet, that we have to take it slow and buy only a few things at once, "but its sooo pretty".

She still goes on about how expensive it is. It just urks me that they think nothing of spending money on other stuff (such as sented candles at $20 each that just go up in flame) and its me that has an expensive hobby....
:B-fly: Love you honey

brotherd 04-04-2011 09:00 PM

Just dropped 260 for a new pair of sunglasses.She was with me and didn't even blink.If I spend 50 on fish stuff in front of her I hear about it for a day.You should of heard the fireworks when I spent 1200 online!So yea,I have to sneak stuff from time to time.:mrgreen:

lastlight 04-04-2011 09:00 PM

I've lost track of how many times she's asked if I'm hiding another tube of epoxy in my pocket.

fishytime 04-04-2011 11:42 PM

Like Laurie(fishoholic) said.....we dont have to sneak stuff......she is usually the one saying "go for it hun"......might be really dangerous to our bank accounts if we ever move in together......

now the ex on the other hand was a different story.......I would get the hairy eyeball every now and then and comments like "where did that come from".....and I would be like, "what?" she would say " that coral/fish/clam!".....I would say...."um.......I dont know:noidea: ..........it must have hitchhiked in on something:mrgreen:

Lance 04-05-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 604260)
I've lost track of how many times she's asked if I'm hiding another tube of epoxy in my pocket.

Atta Boy Brett! Much better than a roll of pennies.

fishytime 04-05-2011 12:14 AM

twonies impress the ladies more Lance

Lance 04-05-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 604325)
twonies impress the ladies more Lance

That's right. And a tube of epoxy is like 8" long. Better yet.