Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to Kill Purple Clove Polyps DIE! DIE! DIE! :) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66684)

Norstar 07-25-2010 11:10 PM

How to Kill Purple Clove Polyps DIE! DIE! DIE! :)

I am once again having an invasion of Purple Clove Polyps. If you don't keep them under control, they will completely take over everything your tank!! (Newbies, be forwarned!!!)

Under complete desperation, I have been applying Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer. It seems to be working. Mind you, it has only been two days, but they don't seen to be surviving the treatment.

Has any one else ever tried this with any success?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.aquacon.com/images/LavenderClovePolyp.jpg

Madreefer 07-25-2010 11:27 PM

I've been having the same battle. I coat them with a thick kalk paste and it kills them. They spread too fast and I think the only way to rid them is to coat all of them at the same time. But that would be detrimental to your tank. My SPS does grow over them though. What really sucks is the ones I have are brown. Good luck!

Aquattro 07-26-2010 12:08 AM

I had lots, but they went away on their own. I don't think there is a trace of them left.

Norstar 07-26-2010 12:09 AM

"went away on their own" - I wish!! :biggrin: Mine never go away, and only come back stronger than ever.

Frenchie2 07-26-2010 01:50 AM

I had them in my tank and one day when me sea hare died, I put a bag of carbon in the sump and the cloves mysteriously started to disappear. I went to J & L and asked Renee about that and she told me the carbon does that to blue/purple cloves. Give it a shot. Did not bother any of my other corals.

daniella3d 07-26-2010 02:08 AM

What are your parameters? because mine seem to shrivel and disapear, or at least it's not spreading and not growing at all.

Invasion? after 6 months of having it in my tank, it has not grown one bit.

It did spwan and produced eggs a few times and I can see little polyps here and there on the liverock but they stay tiny and they don't even produce more polyp.

what's your secret? because I wish I had your problem. I want them to spread to a full rock but can't get them to grow.

What's the tric?

I wish I could tell my trick for it to shrivel and not spread..I just don't know why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norstar (Post 537493)
I am once again having an invasion of Purple Clove Polyps. If you don't keep them under control, they will completely take over everything your tank!! (Newbies, be forwarned!!!)

Under complete desperation, I have been applying Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer. It seems to be working. Mind you, it has only been two days, but they don't seen to be surviving the treatment.

Thanks in advance!

daniella3d 07-26-2010 02:11 AM

Ok that could be it! I do use carbon on regular basis and change every 2 to 3 weeks and I cannot grow clove polyp at all.

Must be related. Same here, the carbon does not bother any of my coral and everything grow like weeds, just not the clove polyp. Glove polyps as well shrink to nothing with time and disapear. I had no idea that carbon could cause that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie2 (Post 537542)
I had them in my tank and one day when me sea hare died, I put a bag of carbon in the sump and the cloves mysteriously started to disappear. I went to J & L and asked Renee about that and she told me the carbon does that to blue/purple cloves. Give it a shot. Did not bother any of my other corals.

trilinearmipmap 07-26-2010 02:31 AM

OK here is how to quickly and easily eradicate Purple Clove Polyps from your tank. Also it will eradicate Green Star Polyps, Anthelia, hydroids, and Xenia.

Other who have tested it have found it was harmless to all livestock (corals, mushrooms, fish, anemones, crabs, snails) in their tanks except it killed shrimp and some soft corals. In my tank various SPS, LPS, BTA's, mushrooms, snails and fish were not affected. I had no shrimp in the tank.

Before people complain about using chemicals in the tank I agree chemicals should be avoided, however in my case I had an Anthelia infestation that was refractory to all measures including local eradication, Sonic scrubber and anything else I tried despite zero phosphates and nitrates measured in the tank.

You can use AP fluke tabs. First I manually removed all the Xenia, Green Star Polyps and Anthelia that I could. Then I dissolved 1/2 a fluke tab in water and added it to my 120 gallon tank. Within a week all the Anthelia, GSP and Clove Polyps were gone and the hydroids (which had been a minor problem) disappeared as well. There were no signs at all of stress to the fish or corals. None of the pest species have come back except for the hydroids which have recurred in small numbers.

Before I did the 1/2 fluke tab treatment I first tried one one hundredth of a fluke tab (no effect) and then one tenth of a fluke tab (no effect). Others have reported that even a trace amount of a fluke tab (such as dipping a coral in fluke tab solution then returning the coral to the display tank without rinsing it off) would work. I didn't find that trace amounts of fluke tab worked.

I would recommend local eradication measures, kalk, one of the Aiptasia treatments if it works, or localized blackout to cover the polyps from the light before going with chemical warfare. But if nothing else works, the Fluke Tabs seem quite effective and safe.

vaporize 07-26-2010 03:28 AM

Try a butterfly :) or copperband might eat them

bignose 07-26-2010 03:45 AM

Whats a fluke tab?

Norstar 07-26-2010 03:49 AM

It's a pill for treating fresh water fish.

I would caution people that this treatment is very risky. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very sure of what you are doing. :wink:

trilinearmipmap 07-26-2010 04:11 AM

My Copperband never touched the Clove Polyps.

Actually I was very afraid to try the Fluke Tab treatment. Instict tells us not to medicate our reefs. I read a few threads about it on Reef Central and PM'ed a couple of people and that reassured me. Again, I don't recommend medicating a reef if you have other options but this worked for me and others without any problems.

Snappy 07-26-2010 05:40 AM

My Asfer & Majestic angels devoured all the clove polyps I had.

edikpok 07-26-2010 03:08 PM

I have a bubble coral on one side of my clove coral and a brain on the other side. These corals seem to kill the clove polyps as soon as they start spreading. Mind you, brain coral tentacles are very dangerous to many other corals (if they touch)..

intarsiabox 07-27-2010 12:31 AM

I run carbon and my blue clove polyps do fine. In the last year they have only expanded maybe 2" of territory but don't appear to harm anything. My SPS just grows right over top of them and they mix in with some of my zoanthids with no problems to either party. At the current rate of growth it'll be about another 10 years before I have a plague. I kind of like the look of them myself but I feel your pain as my GSP is another story.:sad:

Norstar 07-27-2010 04:14 AM

My problem was that they were taking everything over. In fact, I just removed some off one of my softies. They were growing right on the tissue. It was only a matter of time before they started growing over some of my favourite corals.

I think I will have to continue with the Aiptasia remover :cry:

dsaundry 07-27-2010 04:48 PM

I like them, but I haven't had great success with them in my tank, I know they can be invasive but I used to just peel them away areas I didnt want them in. If you want to unload some, I will take them...next time I get into the Surrey/White Rock area..
:biggrin:

Amante 07-27-2010 06:22 PM

I know a very good way of getting rid of it. Give them to me. hehehehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norstar (Post 537493)

Thanks in advance!

Norstar 07-28-2010 01:33 AM

Hey All!

I brought most of it to Ocean Aquatics in Delta. They have lots. Not sure what they are asking for it, but give them a call.

Norstar 06-14-2012 04:05 AM

Hydrogen Peroxide!!! I carefully poured it on the clove polyps, gave them a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush, and voila! so far, so good!

mohammadali 06-14-2012 08:48 AM

dont kill em give me some of it ;)

2bafish 06-14-2012 04:47 PM

Il take a bunch from you.

Norstar 06-15-2012 12:02 AM

Hey everybody. I've had lots of inquiries regarding the purple clove polyps. Oddly enough, I feel like I have some type of moral responsibility not to sell them to anyone....

Just kidding! There were only a few left over. I thought I had eradicated my tank of them. But as usual, they keep popping up

Regretfully, if I do find more, they will be "terminated"

Aquattro 06-15-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norstar (Post 724234)
I feel like I have some type of moral responsibility not to sell them to anyone....

I agree, I wouldn't give these to anyone unless I really disliked them.

RuGlu6 06-15-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohammadali (Post 724133)
dont kill em give me some of it ;)

Hey Mohammadali if you end up getting some for yourself, pls get some for me, i will pay you $5 for a frag.
Thx

MMAX 06-15-2012 01:24 PM

The people asking for these damn things may really be asking for it. I don't think they know what they are getting into. Do your research people. If you think you can contain them on a single piece of rock think again. Soon they'll start popping up where you don't want them and then start to take over.

Aquattro 06-15-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMAX (Post 724314)
The people asking for these damn things may really be asking for it. I don't think they know what they are getting into. Do your research people. If you think you can contain them on a single piece of rock think again. Soon they'll start popping up where you don't want them and then start to take over.

I started with 2 polyps on a frag. Now almost every inch of exposed rock is covered in them. There's no way I can thin them or remove them. Do NOT let these things into your tanks!!

mohammadali 06-15-2012 06:16 PM

hey be generous give us this gift :D
anything i bought they dont grow anywhere else in my 29biocube

RuGlu6 06-15-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMAX (Post 724314)

I already have one kind in my tank and would like to have another whats wrong with that?

Where is that line in the sand that we draw between a nice healthy coral that is thriving and it being a pest?

We complain about something is Not growing and then we turn around and complain about something growing too fast....
If these are showing nice color i want them, i just don't have time to drive to OA.
My first reef tank was set up 14 years ago, and few after that, i think i can decide what i want in my tank :smile:
BTW i used to have a lava sea urchin that eliminated cloves with lightning speed that is why i sold it, because i like cloves!

If anyone from Coquitlam area or so will be going to get some please bring some for me as well
thx.

Aquattro 06-15-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuGlu6 (Post 724389)
Where is that line in the sand that we draw between a nice healthy coral that is thriving and it being a pest?

To me, that line is when something's growth is uncontrollable. This stuff has spread to every rock in a 180 in a few months. The line got crossed..:razz:

You can't peel chucks off like GSP, or other polyp formations. They're individual little pests all over everything.

RuGlu6 06-15-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 724396)
To me, that line is when something's growth is uncontrollable. This stuff has spread to every rock in a 180 in a few months. The line got crossed..:razz:

You can't peel chucks off like GSP, or other polyp formations. They're individual little pests all over everything.

I agree this could be upsetting.

Nevertheless people would love apteisia for example, and pay $ for it, if it would be bright green or red, don't you agree? They would call it lovely easy to keep soft coral. I think some lfs are trying to do just that.

My point is that it is individual's choice. Free will.

At any rate it does Not look like i am going to get any lovely, easy to keep, incrusting, self propagating, nicely colored purple clove polyps :lol:

Aquattro 06-16-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuGlu6 (Post 724459)

At any rate it does Not look like i am going to get any lovely, easy to keep, incrusting, self propagating, nicely colored purple clove polyps :lol:

Unfortunately it doesn't come off in any form that is salvageable, so I couldn't give you any even if you came by. Although it is easy enough to grow, just put a frag plug near it, and it will grow onto it. Maybe I'll grow out a couple for crazy people :)

don.ald 06-16-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuGlu6 (Post 724459)
I agree this could be upsetting.

Nevertheless people would love apteisia for example, and pay $ for it, if it would be bright green or red, don't you agree? They would call it lovely easy to keep soft coral. I think some lfs are trying to do just that.

My point is that it is individual's choice. Free will.

Years ago I would buy this stuff and it would never grow...disappeared never to be seen again. Today, I have a 10" slab covering part of my bare bottom tank...it's beautiful. Really, it is amazing...colour and shape. Is it spreading?....yeah. But frag it? Most impossible. Don't know where it even came from. Just showed up and grew.
Thinking back...I did get a couple of freebie frags from brad?:question::wink:

daniella3d 06-16-2012 12:02 PM

Praziquantal? I noticed that when I used Prazipro in my tank the xenia did not like at all. Also all my xenias melted with the copper poisoning but all the star polyps were just fine. Prazi did not seem to affect star polyps either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignose (Post 537566)
Whats a fluke tab?

MMAX 06-16-2012 04:23 PM

I'm seriously thinking about trying an angel to see if it eats it. Only problem is I don't want him eating anything else. I have a tank full of sps along with a Cook Island maxima that it can't touch......dilemmas.

Aquattro 06-16-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMAX (Post 724598)
I'm seriously thinking about trying an angel to see if it eats it. Only problem is I don't want him eating anything else. I have a tank full of sps along with a Cook Island maxima that it can't touch......dilemmas.

I have an Emperor and a Queen. Neither touches it. The Queen does love SPS tho...:(

MaxDraco 03-15-2013 07:07 PM

Fenbendazole kills BCP

You can review my post about using Fenbendazole:

Reef Central Online Community

Fenbendazole – eliminate invasive soft corals (Blue Cloves Polyps, Xenia, Aiptasia, Hydriods, etc.) | Max Draco

Good Luck,
Max

Aquattro 03-15-2013 07:41 PM

Thanks Max, I'll give those a read.

mohammadali 03-15-2013 08:47 PM

why would u kill em ?
give me some free frags :D

Aquattro 03-15-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohammadali (Post 802684)
why would u kill em ?
give me some free frags :D

I would have to really dislike someone to give them any of these! :razz: