Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Have you ever added up the cost of your tank and realized.... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49924)

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-25-2009 11:24 PM

Have you ever added up the cost of your tank and realized....

...its really not worth it?

Myka 02-25-2009 11:25 PM

Yes, many times. Especially when I want to go on a trip somewhere or buy something significant, and I realise my puny little 33g tank cost me more. Grr...

mark 02-25-2009 11:26 PM

I think it's worth it.

Delphinus 02-25-2009 11:33 PM

Yes. I had a really bizarre dichotomy of feeling on this when I was in Hawaii a few years ago. On the one hand, I was ... That rock pile gives me an amazing idea to try for rockscaping my next tank. On the other hand I was .. if I forgo that next tank maybe I could come back to Hawaii and do this again. Or go to Fiji. Or SOMETHING. I don't seem to have the earning power to maintain both a nice tank and go to warm places. It's a weird choice. Of course, maybe running 4 reef tanks is part of my problem. AND, this is the year something gets done about that. I think. We'll see. :lol:

Rbacchiega 02-25-2009 11:36 PM

only when things aren't working right. That's when I get fustrated. When things are going right and the tank is fantastic looking it's not that bad. I still have a long and torrid argument in my head over spending alot of money on a pump...

my2rotties 02-25-2009 11:39 PM

My husband and I don't ever talk about the total and never even think about it. There are days where I wonder why we did this to ourselves but most days I behold my beautiful tank and never look back. We set everything aside to build this tank and stock it. When winter is over I will jsut maintain everything, let it grow and keep it thriving.

I usually get very depressed over the winter months and this is the first time I am not at depressed in any sort of way. I have been a very happy camper. I find watching my fish is like a mood enhancing drug or something. It's like a portal to a magical world and then I look out my window and see winter. I never thought about this until now, but this tank does make me feel much better about the weather and winter.

It was worth every penny, but I won't be adding anything up... I lost count long ago.

Mrfish55 02-26-2009 12:17 AM

It's cheaper than a lot of other hobbies/past times. I have friends that think I am nuts for spending the amount of money I do on my tank, but then they smoke a pack a day and I don't. Do the math and they spend more per year on smokes than I do on my tank. I know plenty of people that spend more per day at the local Java shop on grande double frappa whatchacallits than I do on my tank, bottom line, you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

Rbacchiega 02-26-2009 12:20 AM

mmmmm grande double frappa whatchacallits....

johncody 02-26-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrfish55 (Post 393066)
It's cheaper than a lot of other hobbies/past times. I have friends that think I am nuts for spending the amount of money I do on my tank, but then they smoke a pack a day and I don't. Do the math and they spend more per year on smokes than I do on my tank. I know plenty of people that spend more per day at the local Java shop on grande double frappa whatchacallits than I do on my tank, bottom line, you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

I don't think i could have said it better and i even took a $3500.00 hit.But if my wife gave me the go ahead i would be setting up a in wall 600 in a heart beat. There is some about containing a life stable environment for them it like having children. and I'm gonna spoil the you know what out of mine now....
Or i just might have a problem saving money.. :)

Cheer JohnCody

christyf5 02-26-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbacchiega (Post 393035)
only when things aren't working right. That's when I get fustrated. When things are going right and the tank is fantastic looking it's not that bad. I still have a long and torrid argument in my head over spending alot of money on a pump...

Ditto. I never go anywhere anyways :razz:

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-26-2009 12:50 AM

I love my tank. I love my fish. And I do like my corals. Its just that when I look at what things like a skimmer (acylic tube with a pump) cost me (over $1000) I feel like an idiot.

Its not that I think this is the most expensive hobby in the world or anything but like most hobbies, its soooooooo grossly overpriced...and I don't even buy the ridiculously priced corals or anything.

I don't know...things are actually going well with the tank but I still look at it and think of how much it cost and it kind of bugs me right now.

Would I give the tank up?

Nope.

Mrfish55 02-26-2009 01:03 AM

If the $1000 price tag on a piece of acrylic with a pump bothers you, contact your local plastics supplier and ask how much a length of 8" cell cast acylic costs. trust me, once you price out the material cost that goes into these things the price of a ready built unit looks pretty good.

digital-audiophile 02-26-2009 01:04 AM

I don't even think about it, I enjoy it so its's worth every penny.

Besides, my other hobby is collecting Militaria, and I have been known to spend over $5000 on a single tunic. (Once I get my basement renos finished and have my war room set up proper I am happy to show anyone that comes over :))

christyf5 02-26-2009 01:07 AM

Theres no hard and fast rule that says you need to spend that much on a skimmer. Ultimately you wanted it and thats just the way it is. I can certainly say I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a skimmer. I always buy used and frankly, I'd rather fritter it away on crap (and believe you me, I can do that like nobodys business, this year has been a record setter) :razz:

Lance 02-26-2009 01:08 AM

With me it's not so much the money. I knew it was an expensive hobby, but most hobbies are costly. If it isn't S/W tanks I'd be spending it on something else. I know what I can afford and what I can't. I just sometimes get frustrated when things go bad. When all the time and effort you put in and something goes awry, that's when I think it may not be worth it.
But then I'll notice some new growth on a favourite coral or find some new critter or something and all is fine again.

lobsterboy 02-26-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrfish55 (Post 393066)
you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

very true

banditpowdercoat 02-26-2009 02:31 AM

I just can't save money...

Muscle cars in summer

Performance Snowmobiles in winter

SW fish all year round.

In fact, winters ending, I blew the engine in my Sled, and fro some STRANGE reason I HAVE to ride some more, so I'm spending $1000 that I DON"T have to rebuild it. And, I'm TRYING to save up for a 200+g established tank purchase....

This workin 2 Full time jobs just aint cuttin it no more.... hear that Honey, no more Timmies for you....

Diana 02-26-2009 02:34 AM

I used to think about the cost of our tanks and cringe, but now that we run our business, i think about it and go "Cha ching! Business expense!" :mrgreen:

marie 02-26-2009 02:53 AM

First off I try to not add anything up if I can help it and secondly being a hermit that never goes anywhere or spends money on anything else, this hobby has been perfect for me.

So even if I did add everything up it would still be worth it to me :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic 02-26-2009 03:17 AM

I don't like scaring myself so I refuse to add up all the costs. Plus I do so many transactions that it would be near impossible to add it all up anyways.

I work at home & am obsessive compulsive, so like what Marie says, this hobby is perfect for me.

Like Christy, I prefer buying used equipment, so I can't ever see myself justifying a $1000 skimmer purchase unless I hit a big lottery win. If I have to work for the money, then I'm just as happy sticking with my $300 used ER-RS250.

Anthony

Lydia 02-26-2009 03:28 AM

I stopped adding it up after I stocked the first SW tank :P Now I just chuck all my receipts into a file folder - I can add it up anytime I want to. Yep, anytime now...

Or not ;)

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-26-2009 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrfish55 (Post 393085)
If the $1000 price tag on a piece of acrylic with a pump bothers you, contact your local plastics supplier and ask how much a length of 8" cell cast acylic costs. trust me, once you price out the material cost that goes into these things the price of a ready built unit looks pretty good.

Yeah thanks bud...your missing the point.

i have crabs 02-26-2009 04:32 AM

i spent $15000 on intrest for my house last year, atleast spending $15000 in the tanks i have something to show for it

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-26-2009 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digital-audiophile (Post 393087)
I don't even think about it, I enjoy it so its's worth every penny.

Besides, my other hobby is collecting Militaria, and I have been known to spend over $5000 on a single tunic. (Once I get my basement renos finished and have my war room set up proper I am happy to show anyone that comes over :))

Maybe its just that I have other expensive hobbies as well ;)

Actually I spend more on traveling (not so much the past year though) which I used to consider a hobby. As well, I used to collect mid century modern furniture which is also much more expensive then aquariums.

But like I said, its not so much the cost as it is what I get for that money. I guess I just don't see the hobby really being worth what we are charged. Not that I am going to stop buying :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 393088)
Theres no hard and fast rule that says you need to spend that much on a skimmer. Ultimately you wanted it and thats just the way it is. I can certainly say I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a skimmer. I always buy used and frankly, I'd rather fritter it away on crap (and believe you me, I can do that like nobodys business, this year has been a record setter) :razz:

I agree to a point. I didn't have to buy a $1000 skimmer but at the same time, I messed around with crappy cheap ones for so long that I did feel it necessary if I wanted to keep a high bioload and clean water.

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-26-2009 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i have crabs (Post 393156)
i spent $15000 on intrest for my house last year, atleast spending $15000 in the tanks i have something to show for it

Well I see the house as an investment though...the tank is the opposite.

But yeah I would rather spend $15K on a tank than interest.

Snaz 02-26-2009 04:52 AM

Nano tank = Nano price

Matt 02-26-2009 05:02 AM

Interesting thread. I've never regretted the money I've spent, but after a number of years, I'm considering shutting down. We're building a new house, and right there in the plans is a nice 180 in the living room, with a fish room in the basement. When I start adding up how much that will cost... I'm not sure. I can buy some nice art for that kind of scratch.

Tom R 02-26-2009 03:44 PM

I really don't even give it a thought. As long as my family is well taken care of and my future is covered everything I spend is fine.

I have found that over the last number of years even though I buy new things I am generally selling something to cover off the cost.

In the last number of years there has been an increase in the amount of very expensive fish, equipment and corals available to the hobbyist. Some I can justify and some I can not.

Example if you buy an everyday coral you can only get so much ($10 to $20) for a frag of it. If however you buy a new to the market spectacular coral you can get a much better price ($20 to $40) for a frag until the distribution of that coral makes it just another every day coral.

Tom R

christyf5 02-26-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer (Post 393158)

I agree to a point. I didn't have to buy a $1000 skimmer but at the same time, I messed around with crappy cheap ones for so long that I did feel it necessary if I wanted to keep a high bioload and clean water.

Oh I totally agree, esp if you've dealt with the crappy ones for so long. Its more a matter of FFS, I'll pay whatever I have to to get one that works!! I just haven't been sold on those $1K skimmers yet. There is no doubt in my mind that one day I will be :wink:

dsaundry 02-26-2009 05:16 PM

If I don't feel guilty about dropping $20,000-$30,000 into a project car that is still not on the road, a few grand on aquarium stuff is not going to cause me to lose sleep.. only trouble is I am putting more time into work and the tanks lately, not enough time on the car.....maybe downsize a bit.. five sw tanks is getting a bit much......maybe not:biggrin:

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-26-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsaundry (Post 393346)
If I don't feel guilty about dropping $20,000-$30,000 into a project car that is still not on the road, a few grand on aquarium stuff is not going to cause me to lose sleep.. only trouble is I am putting more time into work and the tanks lately, not enough time on the car.....maybe downsize a bit.. five sw tanks is getting a bit much......maybe not:biggrin:

I think I need to get a more expensive hobby to make this one seem cheap!

I actually think most people misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't saying I can't afford the hobby or anything. I just kind of look at the end result and think when I know the cost, it doesn't add up or match to me.

The confusing part though is that I still wouldn't give it up :)

I have a feeling if I can ever get this tank to grow in and mature, I will change my mind.

Skimmerking 02-26-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer (Post 393027)
...its really not worth it?

oh that is just great and I worked out what i spent over the last few years that i have been in here lets see 2002 now 2009 ok now add the cost hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm way to go man put me in a bad mood .. I'm going to buy a Vortech to put me in a better mood...

:lol:

globaldesigns 02-26-2009 10:40 PM

To do things properly, I don't think you can look at the costs. You either enjoy it or don't. You either can afford it or can't

I myself, have spent lots, but oh well, I love my tanks.

whatcaneyedo 02-27-2009 12:32 AM

I hate my job so much. All I want to do when I get a pay check is blow it on something stupid. My reef tank is that something. Worth every penny to take away my misery. :cry:

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-27-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo (Post 393490)
I hate my job so much. All I want to do when I get a pay check is blow it on something stupid. My reef tank is that something. Worth every penny to take away my misery. :cry:

LOL...this really made me laugh!

My tank makes me really happy too...I just can't seem to get over the cost! Still just seems like it should be so much cheaper. When I really think of what it is.

banditpowdercoat 02-27-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsaundry (Post 393346)

Yup, I hear that..

Is it;

the Tanks getting in the way of the car's, or the cars getting in the way of the tanks??? LMAO

lorenz0 02-27-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo (Post 393490)

couldn't have said it any other way. Its my out and to be honest, i will just keep dumping cash into it... just not as much as it cost to set up lol.

Mrfish55 02-27-2009 04:41 AM

I find this hobby to be kind of like owning a boat, everything is twice the price! need a part for the car? no problem, need the same part for a boat? double the price! I heard a saying once, "when you buy a boat you are buying a hole in the ocean that you will spend the rest of your days trying to fill with money" would be funny if it wasn't true. I once sat down and calculated how much cash I would have if I didn't spend it on the tank, was a scary high amount, sad thing was the first thing I thought of if I still had all that money was what a kick a$$ tank I could build with all that money:silly:

randallino 02-27-2009 05:55 AM

My LFS has or had a running total of what I spent on my system....I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. What I mean is what if the wife asked me how much I spent, then I would have to lie to her and thats just not right. (Because I am a bad liar :wink:).
Ps. I love my bubble king...2 jobs to pay for it though :razz:.

goby1 02-27-2009 01:29 PM

I've kept my system pretty simple and have had some good luck so far (knock on wood) so I don't feel the maintenance costs to be too high. As long is it doesn't spring a leak I'm good with it. That's probably my biggest concern, 50 g of water and fish on the floor. I love my tank and there's always insurance but I think that cost and cleanup would make me wonder if it was worth it.