Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Banana and broccoli (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37306)

Salmon King 11-26-2007 06:48 AM

Banana and broccoli

Banana and broccoli are very good for your fishes diet.It is a way of combating lateral line disease.All my fish eat both including my lion fish

tang daddy 11-26-2007 07:28 AM

when I first skimmed threw this section I thought you said bananna hahah,
what is banna and what kind of fish are eating these veggies never heard of that you care to elaborate?

Der_Iron_Chef 11-26-2007 07:36 AM

I think he *did* say banana!

tang daddy 11-26-2007 07:40 AM

man I am seeing things need sleep:eek:

Salmon King 11-26-2007 08:59 AM

Angels/lionfish/clown/butterfly and tangs.It takes a couple trys for some but they all like them This was the highlight of a marine aquatic trade show in Germany.I have been using it for years

Slipstream 11-26-2007 09:50 AM

Banna and broccoli

Thats the title.. So he *DID* say Banna.. lol

Aquattro 11-26-2007 12:35 PM

Rob, you posted the same thing last week.....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37137

Doug 11-26-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipstream (Post 283744)
Banna and broccoli

Thats the title.. So he *DID* say Banna.. lol

so, and the point of this post is ????

Der_Iron_Chef 11-26-2007 03:50 PM

I would hardly call twice mentioned spam mail...lol.

Salmon King 11-26-2007 04:00 PM

second post

I put this on fowl side because it has to do with fish.This is a very important to get this out because I personally have seen so many fish suffering from lateral line disease.

Salmon King 11-26-2007 04:02 PM

second post

I put this on fowl side because it has to do with fish.This is a very important to get this out because I personally have seen so many fish suffering from lateral line disease.You people that are sceptic you try it.

Aquattro 11-26-2007 04:03 PM

Let's all be nice now...:) Thanks Rob for trying to help.

Der_Iron_Chef 11-26-2007 04:06 PM

I'm half tempted to throw a small chunk of banana in!

Aquattro 11-26-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 283782)

Just to back Rob up, banana is good for the fish, and I have fed it before and some of them actually ate it.

Der_Iron_Chef 11-26-2007 04:20 PM

How do you feed it? Just toss a chunk in and let it float around?

Aquattro 11-26-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 283791)

Just like that...

Doug 11-26-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef_raf (Post 283799)
Just like that...

For tangs ? And do the greens need to be broken down before feeding like lettuce?

Delphinus 11-26-2007 05:25 PM

Smaller chunks maybe? I remember trying to feed banana a few years ago after reading this thread, http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4695&

... but my fish sort of just looked at me funny as if I was some strange alien. Well, I mean, more so than usual. :)

Although after re-reading that thread and seeing Emilyb's comments about her CBB liking banana, I'm tempted to try again, just to see if my CBB will try it too.

Aquattro 11-26-2007 05:25 PM

Doug, lots of the fish tried the banana, even the tangs. But my tangs ate anything, so who knows. I did soften the brocolli when I tried it, although I never made a habit of feeding it. My tang was around almost 9 years without it, so they don't NEED it, and I'm lazy.

Salmon King 11-27-2007 01:09 AM

feeding

Brocolli I use dehydrated.I had to buy 1000 dollars worth from the states .No where in Canada could I find it comercialy.You could also steam it because any other other way takes all the nutriants out.For banana I just break it into little pieces.

hollywood 11-27-2007 04:31 AM

he did what in his cup

Hi I am wondering if you feed Tangs this combination and how often you feed it?

Salmon King 11-27-2007 05:11 AM

broc/banana

You can feed your tangs this as much as you want.I feed them this first meal in the morning then some frozen food at night

Der_Iron_Chef 11-27-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salmon King (Post 283900)
Brocolli I use dehydrated.I had to buy 1000 dollars worth from the states .No where in Canada could I find it comercialy.You could also steam it because any other other way takes all the nutriants out.For banana I just break it into little pieces.

Wait a second....you bought $1000 worth of dehydrated broccoli?!!

Delphinus 11-27-2007 07:00 AM

I tried feeding some banana pieces again tonight because I wanted to see if my CBB would eat it. He ate ... well, maybe one piece. Which is more than I can say for any flake or pellet I've tried, so ... although it's pretty insignificant it's sort of momentous too. I might try again. Although he didn't eat any more pieces other than the first one, he just chased after them and then gave up when he realized it wasn't mysis.

Tang ate a couple pieces too, but not with a lot of gusto, more of a "what is this, is it good to eat?" curiousity.

Salmon King 11-27-2007 07:05 AM

ban/broc

Yes i had to buy 1000 dollars worth before they would send it.I have enough for 100 years though.I give alot away to friends and people i meet in the hobby.Cant take it with me.I tried really hard in Canada /even had the goverment trying to find some.Only in the USA

StirCrazy 11-28-2007 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salmon King (Post 283942)
You can feed your tangs this as much as you want.I feed them this first meal in the morning then some frozen food at night

hold on here... you feed your tangs? how are they suposed to eat the algae when you are keeping the full?

Steve

bulletsworld 11-28-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 283782)

ROTF! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bulletsworld 11-28-2007 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 283791)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 283952)
Wait a second....you bought $1000 worth of dehydrated broccoli?!!

I know I shouldn't be laughing but for some reason these posts are funny. Thanks for the late night laughs, Drew. :lol: Maybe it me invisioning this in my FO tank and what my puffers will look at me like.

I find this Banana thing very interesting though. Thanks for the post. Looking forward to hearing from others that have tried. I know in the past I have tried spinach and brocolli with little interest. Can't say I have ever tried banana though. :)

Der_Iron_Chef 11-28-2007 03:38 AM

Glad I can entertain. I'll be here all week....

:lol:

Salmon King 11-28-2007 03:56 AM

Laughing

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletsworld (Post 284150)
I know I shouldn't be laughing but for some reason these posts are funny. Thanks for the late night laughs, Drew. :lol: Maybe it me invisioning this in my FO tank and what my puffers will look at me like.

I find this Banana thing very interesting though. Thanks for the post. Looking forward to hearing from others that have tried. I know in the past I have tried spinach and brocolli with little interest. Can't say I have ever tried banana though. :)

Did you you try to feed your fish raw brocolli .It is to hard for them.All my fish including my lionfish eat it .Why spinach.There is high iron in spinach.

Doug 11-30-2007 05:55 PM

Blahhh. :shocked!: Thats what my tangs appeared to say to banana. Guess they are to spoiled already. Even my pig lawnmower blennie turned up his nose. :lol:

digital-audiophile 11-30-2007 06:00 PM

My purple and regal tang loved the banana. I cut it into smaller pieces and they just attacked them. I don;t think I will feed bannana more than once a month but it makes for nice treat.

Thanks for the advice.

Der_Iron_Chef 12-01-2008 06:40 AM

Just curious to see if anyone has tried this again recently? I just saw a video on youtube where a CBB mowed down a piece of banana from this guy's hand! Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYv6e...eature=related

Leah 12-01-2008 04:12 PM

The banana was a huge hit with my tangs they are fighting over it also my herd of anthias
seemed to like it too. But I think they prefer to stay clear of the tangs. One is a yellow and the other is a hippo. It seems to be a bust in my other tank. My fish are very spoiled though as they get mainly frozen food. Oh sorry to bud in but I can't seem to post on here, I have a fairly new family member and she tends to be a slow eater. She is a juv. queen angel she seems to not be eating with much gusto. I have tried every frozen food I could think of angel blend, mysis, brine, frozen algae. She is not fond of flakes either. Anyone got a suggestion. And of course algae sheets. I have had one before and it ate
anything and everthing. HEEEEELLLLPPPPPP.

Trigger Man 12-01-2008 07:12 PM

So how big of a piece of Banana do you use? How much leftover waste is there?

DEAD_BY_DAWN 12-03-2008 05:00 AM

My fish love it thanks :)

Ok tried the Banana diet tonight all the fish consumed it with gusto
Heres a list of fish that tried and liked it
Emperor Angel
Copperband
Tasseled file
Helmet cowfish
Japanese swallowtail
Pixie hawk
Regal tang

Der_Iron_Chef 12-03-2008 05:49 AM

Nice!

Chin_Lee 12-03-2008 05:57 AM

how do you guys feed it? i tried awhile ago and the banana got all mushed in the nori clips.

DEAD_BY_DAWN 12-03-2008 06:01 AM

Well the technique i used was this
Walk pasted my tank remember some post of canreef about some guy feeding his fish bananas and threw in a small chunk and observed :)

Der_Iron_Chef 12-03-2008 06:04 AM

Yup. Just toss a small chunk in. I think I may try a steamed piece of broccoli tomorrow and attach it with a nori clip. Less mushy than banana.