Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Whats your Temperture & why (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122192)

sonny 01-24-2017 12:32 PM

Whats your Temperture & why

I stuck my hand in my tank yesterday noticed it was cold ( 71 ), I have a Profilux 3 which sends me an email if temp drops 2 degrees but I had turned off the alarm for some reason and never turned it back on duh? Anyway lucky escape for me all is well now. So I was doing some research and found an article http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html stating the temp should be higher around 82 -84 for corals as they thrive better at higher temp. I keep my tank at 78.8 how about you ? my corals do alright but I wouldn't say they thrive

Myka 01-24-2017 01:18 PM

Corals definitely grow faster at higher temperatures. My old halide-lit SPS tank used to stay at 83-86F and it grew SPS like weeds. My current tank I kept at 78F for about a year, and about 8 months ago I guess, I turned it up to 80F and noticed faster growth. I started adding NO3 and PO4 at that time too, so it's tough to say what helped most. Everything grows faster at higher temps though - such as algae. :lol:

87-88F is where corals start dying if the corals are used to being 84 or 85F, but if the corals are used to 78F-ish, then a relatively quick rise to 86F will usually start causing demise. What the corals are used to is the biggest thing, sudden rise is never good. What I've noticed in tanks kept at high temperatures like my old tank is that being so close to the danger zone means the tank is very high energy - high fuel. It's like gasoline VS jet fuel.

Now that you posted this though, that reminded me that I want to turn my tank up to 82F and see how it does. For client tanks, I keep them at 78-79F because lower energy, "lower fuel" tanks are easier to maintain imo. :D

tang daddy 01-24-2017 03:35 PM

I've always kept my tank at 78-80 with respect to lights on, but this summer I may set my chiller to kick on later at 85, definately something to ponder as I wouldn't mind faster growing sps

Dearth 01-24-2017 04:09 PM

Sorry I hate Fahrenheit so I'll talk Celsius my tank is set at 26-28 degrees

I've found that this is the best temperature range for my tank inhabitants everything maintains a good balance and decent growth rates if I go higher I end up with algae blooms and during the summer months I find it much easier to regulate tank temperatures and during the winter months it maintains a relatively steady temperature varying less than a degree

kengeroo 01-24-2017 06:18 PM

C vs F

using Fahrenheit is gooder IMHO,, more granular

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 1006789)
Sorry I hate Fahrenheit so I'll talk Celsius my tank is set at 26-28 degrees

I've found that this is the best temperature range for my tank inhabitants everything maintains a good balance and decent growth rates if I go higher I end up with algae blooms and during the summer months I find it much easier to regulate tank temperatures and during the winter months it maintains a relatively steady temperature varying less than a degree

DKoKoMan 01-24-2017 06:23 PM

My tank is set for 26 Celsius (usually 26.3 on digital thermometer). My heaters vary by a couple degrees but I have yet to see it really move lower then 25.5. I find the my fish and coral are happy at this temperature and the only time it fluctuates any more then previously described is water changes.

Reefadiction 01-25-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1006781)
Corals definitely grow faster at higher temperatures. My old halide-lit SPS tank used to stay at 83-86F and it grew SPS like weeds. My current tank I kept at 78F for about a year, and about 8 months ago I guess, I turned it up to 80F and noticed faster growth. I started adding NO3 and PO4 at that time too, so it's tough to say what helped most. Everything grows faster at higher temps though - such as algae. :lol:

87-88F is where corals start dying if the corals are used to being 84 or 85F, but if the corals are used to 78F-ish, then a relatively quick rise to 86F will usually start causing demise. What the corals are used to is the biggest thing, sudden rise is never good. What I've noticed in tanks kept at high temperatures like my old tank is that being so close to the danger zone means the tank is very high energy - high fuel. It's like gasoline VS jet fuel.

Now that you posted this though, that reminded me that I want to turn my tank up to 82F and see how it does. For client tanks, I keep them at 78-79F because lower energy, "lower fuel" tanks are easier to maintain imo. :D

Mika is 100% right! I was running sps tank with halide at 81 to 82f. Acros were thriving! I had to trim them every 6 weeks; but when it crashed...it crashed hard and fast. Everything thrives in warm temp including evil bacteria and algae.

shiftline 01-25-2017 07:57 PM

24.5c. Why? It's where I decided was optimal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarDog 01-25-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 1006789)
Sorry I hate Fahrenheit so I'll talk Celsius

Aquarium temperature is measured in Fahrenheit, unless you are in Europe. Please move to the appropriate continent if you wish to discuss further.

shiftline 01-25-2017 08:31 PM

I think in Celsius as well!

Technically aquarium temps are measured in which ever units your measuring device is set to read.. ;)

For those that need help converting.. google is you friend
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1599bc76b9.jpg

Reef Pilot 01-25-2017 08:40 PM

You guys crack me up,... haha. I fly, so we measure speed and distances in knots. Our fuel quantities and consumption are in US gal. When I drive it is kms and liters for fuel. Temps outside are in C, but water temps in my tank, and at my dock at our cabin are in F. Tanks vols are in US gals. I buy lumber in inches and feet. Steak price at store is per pound.

Boy, are we screwed up!!...

WarDog 01-25-2017 09:00 PM

I will ban anybody who uses Celsius. I haven't banned in a while so this could get fun. That is all.

Dearth 01-25-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1006910)
I will ban anybody who uses Celsius. I haven't banned in a while so this could get fun. That is all.

I'm ready for the ban bat :ban:

GoFish 01-25-2017 09:11 PM

Map of countries that use Imperial units of measure, but ok Warren we'll use Fahrenheit for ya

:silly:
LOL

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress...ric_system.jpg

WarDog 01-25-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 1006912)
I'm ready for the ban bat :ban:

Your days are numbered sir. Lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFish (Post 1006913)
...but ok Warren we'll use Fahrenheit for ya

:silly:
LOL

Thank you for your cooperation.

FYI, I keep my tank at 78.

AquaAddict 01-25-2017 11:38 PM

I have hear/head that Fahrenheit is more accurate and is preferred by Farmers. Has anybody else heard this?

AquaAddict

elitesurfer 01-26-2017 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaAddict (Post 1006928)
I have hear/head that Fahrenheit is more accurate and is preferred by Farmers. Has anybody else heard this?

AquaAddict

I don't know about accurate but it's more precise, so allows more exact measurement? Anyways, I keep mine at 78 as well because that's what I learned from all the forums.

gregzz4 01-26-2017 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 1006907)
You guys crack me up,... haha. I fly, so we measure speed and distances in knots. Our fuel quantities and consumption are in US gal. When I drive it is kms and liters for fuel. Temps outside are in C, but water temps in my tank, and at my dock at our cabin are in F. Tanks vols are in US gals. I buy lumber in inches and feet. Steak price at store is per pound.

Boy, are we screwed up!!...

I read my tank in F, my house in C, my meat in lbs and my milk in litres. How messed up it that?
I, as you Walter, suffer from the change during grade school of imperial to metric.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaAddict (Post 1006928)

AquaAddict

Look online and let us know ...

DKoKoMan 01-26-2017 06:13 AM

My digital thermometer is in Celsius yet my affixed thermometer is set in Fahrenheit. I'm currently running 78 degrees farenheight give or take.

shiftline 01-26-2017 06:22 AM

So everyone seems to like 78... mins is 76.1. Is there any advantage to upping it a bit more?

WarDog 01-26-2017 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftline (Post 1006969)
So everyone seems to like 78... mins is 76.1. Is there any advantage to upping it a bit more?

Not sure of the exact science, but from what I know, fish live longer in colder temps, and coral grows faster in higher temps. I'm considering raising my temp to 80 as a test.

Myka 01-26-2017 01:38 PM

So I decided I wanted to try running my tank at 82F for awhile and see how it goes. I just bought a NIST-certified thermometer so I can calibrate client's thermometers accurately. So I check my tank - tank thermometer reads 80F on the dot. NIST thermometer reads 81.8F. So I guess I'm pretty much at 82F already. :lol:

So, I guess we should all take each person's listed temperature with a grain of salt! :D

I've also discovered something, from my testing so far (about 4 of each type), generally the digital thermometers are more accurate than the "mercury-type" thermometers.

NIST thermometer = best $40 spent recently.

shiftline 01-26-2017 02:59 PM

Where did you pick up the NIST thermometer ?

tang daddy 01-26-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftline (Post 1006969)

A few posts up said that running it at 82 and above grew corals faster as the metabolism is raised but the downside is if you are suffering from algae problems then this is accelerated aswell. The other issue with running higher is less room for mistakes, you may also start to bleach corals at 86 and above so this is a really fine line.

With that said this summer I will try and run my tank at 80-82 to see if that makes any difference in growth, it will also probably not run the chiller and heater as much.

kengeroo 01-26-2017 05:58 PM

fast grow

faster growing corals are going to have pale browner colors....

gregzz4 01-27-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftline (Post 1006990)

+1 !!

Myka 01-27-2017 01:34 PM

Interesting to note: When using the NIST thermometer to compare to client in-tank thermometers, ALL in-tank thermometers read LOWER than the NIST thermometer. I'm not sure if that is just fluke, or if that's typical (will need to do a lot more testing), but it's certainly a good thing to make note of. This evidence suggests, that if anything, your tank is warmer than you think it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftline (Post 1006990)

There are several options on Amazon.ca under $100. :) Search Amazon.ca, "NIST thermometer", and you will see many options. Also try "traceable thermometer" and you will get even more results.

I bought this one. It looks different than the pic though. There is an on/off button, and a C/F button. The temperature settles pretty quick too. It's only accurate to +/- 1C though, so I might try to find a bit more accurate one next time.

This one is accurate to 0.2C for $80, and I'll probably give it a shot for my next one.

Ooooh, look at this one! Option of waterproof probe sensors, accuracy to 0.3C, and alarms settable to 0.1C increments! $105. Or, use your aquarium controller and calibrate with a cheaper NIST thermometer. :D

For $40, I figure I can replace it yearly or so rather than get it recalibrated. I haven't found anywhere to recalibrate it, and I imagine it would cost more than $40 anyway...?? For someone keeping it in the house, it probably doesn't need calibration as often, but mine will be in the car all year round and exposed to temperatures -40C to probably 50C in the car in the summer. i know my refractometer doesn't even keep calibration for a week in the winter when it's super cold. :lol:

Reef Pilot 01-27-2017 01:39 PM

I just use the temp probe that came with my Apex. Seems to be very accurate and shows degrees down to one decimal place. The temp is displayed in nice large font on my display in the sump room, as well as on my my computer, and can also check it remotely away from home on my phone or ipad.

Plus being connected to the Apex I also use it to control my heater and my DIY chiller (better and cheaper than anything you can buy) in the summer.

Myka 01-27-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot
I just use the temp probe that came with my Apex. Seems to be very accurate and shows degrees down to one decimal place.

Unless you use a NIST thermometer to calibrate, accuracy is just speculation. :) Maybe it is accurate, maybe it isn't. How long is it accurate for? Not forever.

Reef Pilot 01-27-2017 02:06 PM

I have only calibrated (although not recently) with other regular thermometers, and at the least it has always been consistent. Have there been reports of Apex temp probes being inaccurate or changing?

I do have a 2nd Apex temp probe (spare) that I could try to see if it is the same.

But like I said, hard to beat the functionality and usefulness of the Apex temp probe. Not to mention, it comes with the Apex, which many people use as their controller.

Reef Pilot 01-27-2017 02:13 PM

I have a thermal imaging thermometer in my shop. I should try that on my tank and see how its temp compares to the Apex.

kien 01-27-2017 02:49 PM

In the winter my tank runs between 77 (night) to around 80/81 (daytime).
In the summer it runs around 79 (night) to 83 (daytime). I don't do the temperature shifting on purpose. Mother nature does that for me :neutral:

why? Because my tank likes it? :noidea:

Myka 01-27-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 1007100)
I have a thermal imaging thermometer in my shop. I should try that on my tank and see how its temp compares to the Apex.

In my experience the blue light messes them up.

daelie 01-27-2017 11:19 PM

I run my tank right around 80 at the moment and everything seem to be going well.

I use traceable thermometers as well to calibrate everything. We use these in our lab on a daily basis so we have about 6 boxes of these things on hand at all times because some people tend to spill some nasty stuff on the plastic. These are the 0.2 degree accurate thermometers from Fisher Scientific. The cost we get them at works out to be quite a bit less when you buy 10 boxes.

Fisher Scientific Traceable Thermometer

http://i.imgur.com/wrRj0kml.jpg

shiftline 01-28-2017 01:37 AM

When I set up my apex. I used 3-4 different thermometers and averaged them :). Who knows how close it is! $40 isn't bad but I would be tempted to get the .2 accuracy one. Do they really have to be calibrated yearly?

shiftline 01-28-2017 01:47 AM

0.4 degree and $22 Thomas Stainless Steel and Plastic Traceable Pocket Thermometer, 3-1/2" Stem, -58 to 572 degree F https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006OCNTAG/..._.taJybH8Q1EKG

Dalie - let me know if you ever have extra to sell :)

daelie 01-28-2017 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftline (Post 1007166)
When I set up my apex. I used 3-4 different thermometers and averaged them :). Who knows how close it is! $40 isn't bad but I would be tempted to get the .2 accuracy one. Do they really have to be calibrated yearly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftline (Post 1007167)
0.4 degree and $22 Thomas Stainless Steel and Plastic Traceable Pocket Thermometer, 3-1/2" Stem, -58 to 572 degree F https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006OCNTAG/..._.taJybH8Q1EKG

Dalie - let me know if you ever have extra to sell :)

Each thermometer comes with a little sticker when they're due for calibration. I think our newer stuff is due July 2018, but from my experience they don't fall too far out of calibration that quickly that it would be absolutely necessary, there are always ways to see roughly how good your calibration is.

The thermometer you linked is +- 1.5 degrees. Though the description mentioned an Ultra model that is 0.4.

If you or anyone for that matter really wanted one, I don't mind getting some from the lab manager at cost and sending them, she's generally quite easy about that stuff as long as it gets paid somehow. I think they run 40-50 (can't recall) at our cost and I don't assume it would be too awful to ship something so light. For some reason BRS sells them at 99 each, but I guess they don't assume they'll be selling them in large volumes.