Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Where to buy supplies? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121538)

GQsmooth 11-26-2016 05:20 PM

Where to buy supplies?

Where do you guys buy your products? Whether it be food, skimmers, ro/di units, salt, etc?

As much as I like to support local, I find the prices kind of high, online seem to be the best place?

FishyFishy! 11-26-2016 06:34 PM

reefsupplies.ca pretty much wins in most cases. Great selection, prices and awesome customer service.

intarsiabox 11-26-2016 07:04 PM

Reef Supplies and JL Aquatics is who I use online, both have good prices and service. I was using Amazon to get Aquaforest salt because they had free shipping but now they don't have it so local is still the cheapest way to buy salt unless you can get free shipping on it.

intarsiabox 11-26-2016 07:07 PM

FYI Aquarium Illusions has Reef Crystals salt on for $56 which is cheaper than the two online stores I mentioned.

GQsmooth 12-06-2016 03:38 AM

How about anything to do with plumbing, like PVC parts, valves, and or Spa flex hose?

Locally, HD, Lowes, and Rona have a terrible selection.

kyl 12-06-2016 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1003494)
How about anything to do with plumbing, like PVC parts, valves, and or Spa flex hose?

Do you have a Corix locally? They carry Spears fittings / gate valves / etc. Won't have spa flex, but check any local hot tub / swimming pool shop they should carry it.

Myka 12-06-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1002907)
Where do you guys buy your products? Whether it be food, skimmers, ro/di units, salt, etc?

As much as I like to support local, I find the prices kind of high, online seem to be the best place?

Before you resort to buying online, ask your local shop if they are willing to price match, or at least come close. Be tactful when you ask, and you may be surprised how much a local shop is willing to work with you. When it comes to equipment, it's nice to have your money spent locally so that they are willing to help you out when say, that return pump breaks down on a Friday afternoon or something.

Tooboot 12-07-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1003494)

go to specific contractor stores, they'll have what you need/are looking for and could possibly give you tips given they have, usually, more knowledge than the staff at the box stores.

Tooboot 12-07-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1003504)
Before you resort to buying online, ask your local shop if they are willing to price match, or at least come close. Be tactful when you ask, and you may be surprised how much a local shop is willing to work with you. When it comes to equipment, it's nice to have your money spent locally so that they are willing to help you out when say, that return pump breaks down on a Friday afternoon or something.

agreed. I would simply add: be honest with the retailer. I was getting salt from amazon too, until they jacked up the price and shipping was added. when I mentioned the old price to the retailer, they completely understood why I chose amazon rather than local. then ordered me the salt, since they didn't carry that brand in store, and gave me a 10% discount.

DKoKoMan 12-09-2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooboot (Post 1003580)
agreed. I would simply add: be honest with the retailer. I was getting salt from amazon too, until they jacked up the price and shipping was added. when I mentioned the old price to the retailer, they completely understood why I chose amazon rather than local. then ordered me the salt, since they didn't carry that brand in store, and gave me a 10% discount.

Now that is a rock solid LFS! I like to hear stories of customer service as above ^.

GQsmooth 12-20-2016 10:14 PM

Bump, I found a couple places locally for PVC and the spa flex.

Just need to know where you guys get the sch 80 gate valves, specifically 1.5".

intarsiabox 12-20-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1004380)
Bump, I found a couple places locally for PVC and the spa flex.

Just need to know where you guys get the sch 80 gate valves, specifically 1.5".

Marine Aquaria usually has gate valves on hand, Fabco Plastics also may have them in stock

GQsmooth 12-20-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intarsiabox (Post 1004381)
Marine Aquaria usually has gate valves on hand, Fabco Plastics also may have them in stock

Marine Aquaria is pretty expensive for those parts, I'll try FABCO tmrw.

Thanks

DKoKoMan 12-21-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1004383)
Marine Aquaria is pretty expensive for those parts, I'll try FABCO tmrw.

Thanks

Zeebest plastics or best plumbing in Edmonton. Worth giving them a call.

GQsmooth 12-21-2016 07:51 PM

nothing with those guys^

Might have to bite the bullet and order from the US. Hopefully there's some good Boxing day deals, I just hate paying the ridiculous shipping costs.:x-mas:

DKoKoMan 12-23-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1004431)
nothing with those guys^

Might have to bite the bullet and order from the US. Hopefully there's some good Boxing day deals, I just hate paying the ridiculous shipping costs.:x-mas:

So true, the prices are competitive and then you get hit with a $50 shipping bill :neutral:

kyl 12-23-2016 03:01 PM

Again, try Corix for the SCH80 items. If they don't carry, they can order in from Spears. SCH80 gate valves will be expensive, just a warning.

http://www.corix.com/contact-us/cont...oducts/alberta

Shouldn't have to source gate valves from the US, especially in Alberta.

Myka 12-26-2016 04:22 PM

I've rarely had luck finding gate valves or bulkheads at local plumbing supply companies. I have found Spears gate valves on occasion, but they cost double what LFS have them for. I'm not sure what the deal is. That's like RO filters - go to a water store of Home Depot and the filters cost at least double. The most local to you that I know of that has gate valves is Concept Aquatics in Calgary. Otherwise, our sponsors J&L Aquatics and Reef Supplies both carry gate valves.

squamishbc 12-27-2016 04:46 AM

J&L and Amazon, along with some US companies.

SoloSK71 12-27-2016 08:46 PM

Brand also plays a part.

Spears (gate valves) and Hayward (bulkheads) just cost more than B&K or others for Schedule 80.

Also, the seal type can up the cost as well. Make sure you are looking at Buna-N, not EPDM or FKM o-rings.

The Spears part numbers for slip x slip, Buna-N, non-rising gate valves are below.

1" 2012-010
1.5" 2012-015
2" 2012-020

Charles

GQsmooth 12-28-2016 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloSK71 (Post 1004723)
Brand also plays a part.

Spears (gate valves) and Hayward (bulkheads) just cost more than B&K or others for Schedule 80.

Also, the seal type can up the cost as well. Make sure you are looking at Buna-N, not EPDM or FKM o-rings.

The Spears part numbers for slip x slip, Buna-N, non-rising gate valves are below.

1" 2012-010
1.5" 2012-015
2" 2012-020

Charles

They don't make a true union gate valve hey? I think I'm just going to order the BRS Spears Slip.

Myka 12-28-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1004756)
I think I'm just going to order the BRS Spears Slip.

Really?

Bulk Reef Supply (US company) 1.5" Spears Gate Valve USD$57.99 (preferred pricing)
+ 15% for duties and taxes = USD$66.69
x 1.37 for exchange = CAD$91.37
+ shipping...maybe you split that with other things you buy, but still, the cost is MORE than $91.37 because there is no free shipping to Canada.

Reef Supplies (Canadian company) 1.5" Spears gate valve CAD$65.95
+ 5% for GST = CAD$69.25
+ shipping, unless you buy more goodies and get over $150 in which case shipping is free.

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. :)

zhasan 12-28-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1004771)
Really?

Bulk Reef Supply (US company) 1.5" Spears Gate Valve USD$57.99 (preferred pricing)
+ 15% for duties and taxes = USD$66.69
x 1.37 for exchange = CAD$91.37
+ shipping...maybe you split that with other things you buy, but still, the cost is MORE than $91.37 because there is no free shipping to Canada.

Reef Supplies (Canadian company) 1.5" Spears gate valve CAD$65.95
+ 5% for GST = CAD$69.25
+ shipping, unless you buy more goodies and get over $150 in which case shipping is free.

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. :)

Exchange is killing it all. Good for local businesses though.

I used to always think about getting it all from the US due to higher prices here when the dollar was at par but my perspective has changed since. It was a timely change for sure... just spent a ton within the borders this year.

Reef Pilot 12-28-2016 07:32 PM

Yeah, US exchange is killing us... Am buying more and more stuff from China now through AliExpress. Only problem (and a big one) is having to wait a month or more for delivery.

squamishbc 12-28-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 1004789)
Yeah, US exchange is killing us... Am buying more and more stuff from China now through AliExpress. Only problem (and a big one) is having to wait a month or more for delivery.

Do you live close to the border?

I order from China/Hong Kong and have found parcels arrive to the US a lot quicker, average is around 7 days, sometimes 10 days.

Reef Pilot 12-28-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squamishbc (Post 1004806)
Do you live close to the border?

I order from China/Hong Kong and have found parcels arrive to the US a lot quicker, average is around 7 days, sometimes 10 days.

Yeah, I live in Langley, just 20 min from the border. I guess I could send parcels to Blaine, but I still have to drive there (and deal with line-ups) and pay the $3 package cost. Then have to run the gauntlet at the border, where the may or may not want to charge me sales tax, and if goods are from China, maybe duty.

Shipping is free to Canada, and have never been charged duty or tax. The only problem is the wait, and occasionally having to deal with a scammer (if the deal is too good to be true, then it is not). But they have a good dispute mechanism, and have never lost money.