Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Do you say "Merry Christmas"? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117260)

Myka 12-19-2015 08:56 PM

Do you say "Merry Christmas"?

Just curious how many people will say the expression "Merry Christmas". I hear it less and less often.

Aquattro 12-19-2015 09:03 PM

Well, ya, but mostly around Christmas time. Because, you know, it's Christmas.

Skimmer Juice 12-19-2015 09:16 PM

yes I still say "Merry Christmas" does that date me as old? I went to my nephews Christmas concert and they were not allowed to say Christmas or celebrate any of the songs , as its now offensive to do so . The world sure is getting out of control .

Myka 12-19-2015 09:26 PM

I love it when checkout clerks at box stores say "Happy Holidays", and I say "Merry Christmas" back, and then they say, "Merry Christmas!!!"

jorjef 12-19-2015 09:30 PM

I make a point of it... If I make the effort to give a season greeting it is a firm Merry Christmas.. It's kind of odd, twenty years ago I may have avoided it just because I wasn't a huge Christmas fan but now with all the politically correct crap I make a point of saying it loud and proud...

RMC 12-19-2015 09:32 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

jr999 12-20-2015 12:31 AM

If I get a Happy Holidays, I just say I don't understand that phrase and keep moving along.

Coasting 12-20-2015 01:13 AM

I'm not religious and stopped being into Christmas when I realised santa didn't exist. So I really haven't participated in the last few years at all since not living at home.

But im on the fence about saying it.... Do I say it just to spite those who say happy holidays. Because I enjoy that kind of stuff....
or do I ignore it and say nothing because I don't believe in what religion has plastered a Christmas. I don't think Jesus was born on Christmas, and I happily believe the Christians stole the holiday from the Pagans. Heck my familys Roman Catholic, my grandmother would be having a fit hearing me say that....

Its truly just a retail holiday so there should be NOTHING wrong with saying merry Christmas. People should be able to freely say WHATEVER they choose to celebrate. I personally wont be offended if somebody says "Happy Hanukkah".

I still dress my dog up for Christmas..... I still buy my dog Christmas gifts... bahah

The Guy 12-20-2015 01:23 AM

It's Merry Christmas now, in the past and the future as well for me! This society now is far too politically correct about too much in our lives these days IMO. :x-mas: And by the way Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all the Canreef folks.

kien 12-20-2015 01:49 AM

I say Merry Chirstmas and Happy Holidays. They are both one and the same to me :-).

My kids school is one of those highly politically correct schools that have banned "Christmas". They celebrate the holidays with a holiday concert. That's fine, I don't really have a problem with that either actually. I will continue to wish people a Merry Christmas even if you don't celebrate Christmas I want you to have a merry one anyway! :-)

Proteus 12-20-2015 02:00 AM

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...9167338195.jpg

Myka 12-20-2015 02:21 AM

https://inkslingerblog.files.wordpre...11/coexist.jpg

jorjef 12-20-2015 02:24 AM

Religion and getting political all in one thread.....great.

acepumping 12-20-2015 02:50 AM

100% merry Christmas. Because that's what we say here!!
It's always been this way and should stay this way..

duncangweller 12-20-2015 03:00 AM

^+1^

Ryanerickson 12-20-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acepumping (Post 974814)
100% merry Christmas. Because that's what we say here!!
It's always been this way and should stay this way..

This

acepumping 12-20-2015 03:03 AM

If I were to go to another country and they said something else, i would say whatever it is there, but your here so you go by what we say here. Yes, there is other religions and all.. but keep that in your house and family who believe in it.. trying to change our society won't fly with me!

Coasting 12-20-2015 03:04 AM

I feel like im allowed to be more bitter about the christmas thing....

My birthdays on the 25th and im so sick of hearing people say "oh you share your birthday with Jesus!!!" (And 100 other versions of that one) Or "Im surprised your parents didnt name you Noelle"

But i will still either say nothing because i hate the holidays or i will say merry christmas because that is what i celebrate regardless of religion.

hunggi74 12-20-2015 03:25 AM

I say Merry Christmas even though I'm atheist by all definitions of the word. I miss not having to worry about who is offended or not by a phrase. Isn't there enough stuff going on around for us to worry about?? And I'm having turkey with all the fixings. And I'm going to buy Austrailian corals harvested from the ocean on Boxing Day.

sphelps 12-20-2015 03:30 AM

Welcome to Canada, a country that promotes multi culture. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and since it is does stem from a religion it really makes no sense to force it on others who have different beliefs. Say merry Christmas or whatever you prefer, it's all good, but don't always expect it from others. Big companies have to please everyone, happy holidays seems pretty appropriate.

Taipan 12-20-2015 03:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbfMmCf5-ds

acepumping 12-20-2015 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 974826)
Welcome to Canada, a country that promotes multi culture. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and since it is does stem from a religion it really makes no sense to force it on others who have different beliefs. Say merry Christmas or whatever you prefer, it's all good, but don't always expect it from others. Big companies have to please everyone, happy holidays seems pretty appropriate.

No, it's been merry Christmas for how long?
To me, they are trying to change what has been here for yrs..

What made me bitter about this was this:

Talking to somebody in a store.

Guy says: happy holidays
Me: merry Christmas
Guy: merry Christmas? Don't you mean happy holidays?
Me: no, merry Christmas (chuckling)
Guy: don't you think that's a bit rude?
Me: no not all, why would it be rude.
Guy: I guess you got no respect! Happy holidays.
Me: MERRY BLEEP CHRISTMAS

a fine example of some people trying to change ways!!

acepumping 12-20-2015 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acepumping (Post 974832)
No, it's been merry Christmas for how long?
To me, they are trying to change what has been here for yrs..

What made me bitter about this was this:

Talking to somebody in a store.

Guy says: happy holidays
Me: merry Christmas
Guy: merry Christmas? Don't you mean happy holidays?
Me: no, merry Christmas (chuckling)
Guy: don't you think that's a bit rude?
Me: no not all, why would it be rude.
Guy: I guess you got no respect! Happy holidays.
Me: MERRY BLEEP CHRISTMAS

a fine example of some people trying to change ways!!

Oooppss didn't mean to quote the main post haha

Proteus 12-20-2015 03:52 AM

I couldn't care less on how people want to greet me during the holidays. What matters is that they took the time to cheerfully acknowledge me

Proteus 12-20-2015 03:53 AM

I am as secular as it gets. But it bothers me that people seem to think that Christmas is from one denomination

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...9758135922.jpg

Coasting 12-20-2015 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 974836)
I am as secular as it gets. But it bothers me that people seem to think that Christmas is from one denomination

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...9758135922.jpg

Yes!! This!! Thank you!!

brotherd 12-20-2015 04:12 AM

Say whatever the season means to you. But never tell me I can't say Merry Christmas.

Proteus 12-20-2015 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherd (Post 974840)
Say whatever the season means to you. But never tell me I can't say Merry Christmas.

Never would. a mutual respect for others is all that is required

brotherd 12-20-2015 04:20 AM

Agreed.

Reefer Rob 12-20-2015 04:53 AM

In Canada we have freedom of religion, nobody can tell me I can't celebrate Christmas, or any other religious event that involves eating like a pig and consuming large quantities of alcohol.

Merry Christmas!

Ian 12-20-2015 04:54 AM

I am not religious in any way but I do say merry Christmas. If the person I say it to takes offense that is their problem not mine. If you say happy Hanukah, or whatever to me my answer is thank you same to you......see its easy all this B.S. about being politically correct ****es me off!

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-20-2015 06:58 AM

We only say Merry Christmas in my extended family which includes devout Muslims, Buddhist and atheist. None of the politically correct cr@p for us. I taught my girls to say and write Merry Christmas, not Xmas, which I HATE!

F.H 12-20-2015 10:12 AM

I could care less about being politically correct, but to me it simply seems more considerate to say "happy holidays" because regardless of what they celebrate, it covers all bases. It simply seems more polite. I don't understand why some people are adamant about pushing that one holiday onto others who may not celebrate it.

You wouldn't say "Eid Mubarak" to someone who's Jewish or Christian, or I wouldn't say "Happy Passover" to someone who's not Jewish, so why would I say "Merry Christmas" to people who are not Christian?

It's not a matter of offending someone, but simply a matter of being more respectful and courteous. I see nothing wrong with being polite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taipan (Post 974827)

I think you've made a Seinfeld reference before as well, well done! Keep em coming hahahaha.

Simons 12-20-2015 03:11 PM

Christmas to me is a winter festival nothing more. Once we realize this whole religious thing is something man made from our bronze age upbringing the better the world will become.

So I don't care what people say, to me it's more about being happy than celebrating some myth.

Treebeard 12-20-2015 04:11 PM

Hmm, let me think about it...Merry Christmas!

rishu_pepper 12-20-2015 04:33 PM

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Reef Pilot 12-20-2015 04:45 PM

It is kind of sad this has even become a topic, not only here, but elsewhere in the media. For me, it's Merry Christmas. But am not offended either by Happy Holidays, or other expressions of joy with the season. To each, his own.

I am very much a freedom kind of guy, whether it is speech, what I do, or whatever, and don't much appreciate efforts by the media, politicians, anybody, to tell me what to say and how to think.

toytech 12-20-2015 08:58 PM

why jesus`s birthday is on the 25

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]

D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday

Sounds more civilized than Christmas with my family , but that's just me.

daplatapus 12-21-2015 01:36 PM

For personal and religious reasons I do not celebrate Christmas but totally understand that for many it is a very cherished time of year. But I am surprised at how many people are offended when I do not return the greeting but just say Thank You to their well wishes.

Aquattro 12-21-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplatapus (Post 974990)
For personal and religious reasons I do not celebrate Christmas but totally understand that for many it is a very cherished time of year. But I am surprised at how many people are offended when I do not return the greeting but just say Thank You to their well wishes.

Really? I can't say I've ever felt anyone was offended. I read all the PC crap online, but never witnessed it in real life. Talking about this with my wife, who works in retail. They're required, and feel it's justifiable, to say happy holidays. Not everyone celebrates it and there many other festivities this time of year.

I say Merry Christmas, mostly because I have kids and for our family, it's Christmas time. But in no way would I ever be offended by someone not responding in kind. That's just ignorant.