Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Good shop to buy a tank in Toronto? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111962)

Ron99 02-04-2015 05:07 AM

Good shop to buy a tank in Toronto?

I'm off to Toronto next week and I may need to pick up a tank while there. Nothing fancy. Just a 30 gallon or maybe a 40 breeder. Anyone have any recommendations as to a good shop for that will have the best prices?

corpusse 02-04-2015 12:51 PM

How do you plan on getting it home?

If I was in BC next week and you paid me to take a tank I'd still refuse.

Ron99 02-04-2015 02:36 PM

Shipping isn't the issue for me. I have some chemists at U of T that are going to do some magic to it for me :) But that's another story. We will crate it and ship it after that. So I would rather source the tank locally than buy one here, ship to Toronto then have it shipped back again.

lastlight 02-04-2015 02:37 PM

omg transparent aluminum is FINALLY here isn't it?!

xenon 02-04-2015 03:03 PM

The best place in GTA for tanks has always been Big Als unless you are looking for something custom.

saltdog 02-04-2015 03:46 PM

Miracles aquariums in Orangeville just Google them

Ron99 02-04-2015 04:16 PM

Big Al's maybe, but that's out in Mississauga isn't it? I'm not sure how mobile I will be as I'll be downtown staying near the university. Orangeville is definitely too far :) But thanks for the suggestions so far/

Ron99 02-04-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 933656)
omg transparent aluminum is FINALLY here isn't it?!

Unfortunately not :) But something else that might be of great benefit :wink:

xenon 02-04-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron99 (Post 933669)
Big Al's maybe, but that's out in Mississauga isn't it? I'm not sure how mobile I will be as I'll be downtown staying near the university. Orangeville is definitely too far :) But thanks for the suggestions so far/

Most of the reef stores in the GTA are in Mississauga. :lol:

lastlight 02-04-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron99 (Post 933671)
Unfortunately not :) But something else that might be of great benefit :wink:

if it's algae repellant glass i need to know how i can send you my money please.

Ron99 02-04-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 933675)
Most of the reef stores in the GTA are in Mississauga. :lol:

OK, I'll see if I can get someone from the lab to run me out hat way :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 933678)
if it's algae repellant glass i need to know how i can send you my money please.

Busted :) Yes, I'm experimenting with a coating that will hopefully prevent coralline algae growth. The initial test was encouraging. Now we have to test actual gear.

lastlight 02-04-2015 05:24 PM

i wonder what would happen if say liquipel was applied to the inside of a tank. you're holding the water but is it technically contacting the glass in a way that would allow growth on it?

strangely coralline doesn't ever grow on my glass. film algae however...

Ron99 02-05-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 933686)
i wonder what would happen if say liquipel was applied to the inside of a tank. you're holding the water but is it technically contacting the glass in a way that would allow growth on it?

strangely coralline doesn't ever grow on my glass. film algae however...

I have no idea. This isn't a hydrophobic coating. It's something actually being developed to prevent blood clots on medical equipment. So the interaction is more complex. I'm repurposing it :smile:

I get coralline on my glass all the time. And we will also be able to coat metal and plastic. So pumps, powerheads, heaters etc. can be treated as well.