Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pop up (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121880)

rayjay 12-30-2016 04:25 AM

Pop up

Can anyone tell me why I get a full screen pop up on my screen many times when I click on the link to Canreef? It only happens when I go to Canreef and not any other site I go to.
The pop up is full screen and usually audio comes on with the ads shown.

DKoKoMan 12-30-2016 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 1004910)
Can anyone tell me why I get a full screen pop up on my screen many times when I click on the link to Canreef? It only happens when I go to Canreef and not any other site I go to.
The pop up is full screen and usually audio comes on with the ads shown.

No idea... only time I have ever saw a pop up on Canreef is for a PM, it will ask if you want to open in a "new window".

Myka 12-30-2016 01:21 PM

You shouldn't be getting ads, we don't have ads. Probably malware or something on your computer, rather than the site doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKoKoMan (Post 1004917)
No idea... only time I have ever saw a pop up on Canreef is for a PM, it will ask if you want to open in a "new window".

Me too.

rayjay 12-30-2016 01:54 PM

The computer has been totally reset with windows 10 reinstalled, without anything I had previously installed, just like a new computer.
The pop up comes in behind the Chrome page I view on, but I know when it comes up because it has sound to start with and in my task bar, I can see a second icon behind the chrome icon of the page I'm viewing.
Before the reset, I had Norton check out the computer as the Norton full scan didn't pick up anything to cause this, and, I didn't know any other way to be sure it wasn't something loaded on my computer, even though they told me there was nothing they could find when they took control of the computer to check themselves.
As I said though, it ONLY pops up at times, and ONLY when clicking on the Canreef link.

Myka 12-30-2016 03:59 PM

I sent our administration a message, but I don't think it's us. Maybe...?

WarDog 12-30-2016 05:02 PM

Won't be us, but Titus will look into it.

Ryanerickson 12-30-2016 05:31 PM

You have something bad on your computer this has nothing to do with canreef. This is just a personal opinion but as a gamer with a high end pc the worste software possible is large company virus software they brutally slow down your pc and I swear it's spies on you. You could not pay me to put Norton on my pc.

rayjay 12-31-2016 03:27 AM

If there HAD been something bad on the computer, it would have been disposed of with the reset.
As for Norton, you are entitled to your opinions on them just as I am, we just happen to disagree on the matter.

DKoKoMan 12-31-2016 05:25 AM

Tried the Canreef site on multiple computers (work, iPad, iPhone, desktop and in laws). I have not experienced any pop ups.

titus 12-31-2016 01:40 PM

Hello

There are no pop ups from Canreef. There have been times we do larger 1/4 page size ads with sponsors but we're not doing that at the moment.

What sort of ads are you seeing? Which link are you clicking on? Is that a direct Canreef URL or is that a re-direct?

Titus

rayjay 12-31-2016 02:50 PM

OK, it just happened again as soon as I clicked on the link http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php although it doesn't happen every time, it probably varies between 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.
Is it possible that it is something that is Chrome related but tied into clicking on the Canreef link?
This is the link at the top of the page that came up, but it is different each time it occurs. Once the page comes up though, the URL changes automatically every 30 sec. or so with a new ad by the same company.
http://www.dishhour.com/sesame-bread...paign=featured
The full page pop up has no Chrome header like I have on the window I'm on now, just a full page window that has a changing title bar at the top left in line with the minimize/X on the right side. Just below that is the URL line, with nothing else on it.
At the end of the changing title in the very top line, the title is always followed by the "ad sponsors name Google Chrome" as in today's "Dish Hour-Google Chrome".
I REALLY don't want to have to do another reset as it takes me days to get the PC to download everything I use again and still not know if it will work after it's all done.
I'm old, not too computer literate, and can't figure this out for myself.

Ryanerickson 12-31-2016 03:28 PM

My best guess is that something you installed after you reinstalled windows has done this. These days clicking anything is potentially dangerous. Last year I got tricked by a screen that looked like a legit windows install tab asking me to update adobe flash well after that update I was getting all kinds of pop ups and other problems I had to format. Almost all software these days have crap they wanna install like toolbars and or virus software they are all forms of Spyware to me.good luck hope you get it figured out.

titus 12-31-2016 05:25 PM

Hello

Okay looking at the description of how the ad window looks like I'd say it's definitely some sort of malware that has been installed on your PC. I suggest you use something that can check and help you remove this type of stuff. I just learned from my brother about Malwarebyte yesterday but I haven't really used it so can't provide any comments on how good or bad it is but he was able to fix a laptop that is in a much more worst shape than yours. It does have a free version you can use for 14 days before you can decide if it's good enough to buy.

Titus

gregzz4 12-31-2016 05:49 PM

You have a tracking cookie in your system. You can thank Quantserve.com for it.
It's not considered malicious therefore not considered a threat, so your anti-virus won't pick it up.
It's not malware but rather adware.

I'd recommend you look for a removal tool online - there appear to be a number available.
Below is how you can try to block it, but by doing so it may act erratically as it can't access it's server. Better to remove it.

To learn more about it, go here http://shareknowledge123.blogspot.ca...-tracking.html

From http://shareknowledge123.blogspot.ca...-tracking.html

quantserve.com Removal Instructions:

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options.
Click the Privacy tab, click the Website button or Edit button in Website group box.
In the Website box, enter quantserve.com and click Reject button to add this website to block lists.
Click Ok button to save the changes.
Open the file "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" with a text editor program.
Add the following lines to the end of the text file.
127.0.0.1 quantserve.com www.quantserve.com
127.0.0.1 edge.quantserve.com
127.0.0.1 pixel.quantserve.com
127.0.0.1 quantcast.com www.quantcast.com
Save and close the file.
Reboot your computer.

From http://www.exterminate-it.com/malped...quantserve-com

To block quantserve.com cookie in Google Chrome
From the Chrome menu Google Chrome Menu Button, on the browser toolbar, choose Settings
Click Show Advanced Settings... link
In the Privacy section, click the Content settings
Click Manage Exceptions... button
Enter quantserve.com in the Hostname pattern (located at the left corner)
Choose Block from the Behavior field (on the right)

WarDog 12-31-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 1004980)
You have a tracking cookie in your system. You can thank Quantserve.com for it.
It's not considered malicious therefore not considered a threat, so your anti-virus won't pick it up.
It's not malware but rather adware.

I'd recommend you look for a removal tool online - there appear to be a number available.
Below is how you can try to block it, but by doing so it may act erratically as it can't access it's server. Better to remove it.

To learn more about it, go here http://shareknowledge123.blogspot.ca...-tracking.html

From http://shareknowledge123.blogspot.ca...-tracking.html

quantserve.com Removal Instructions:

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options.
Click the Privacy tab, click the Website button or Edit button in Website group box.
In the Website box, enter quantserve.com and click Reject button to add this website to block lists.
Click Ok button to save the changes.
Open the file "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" with a text editor program.
Add the following lines to the end of the text file.
127.0.0.1 quantserve.com www.quantserve.com
127.0.0.1 edge.quantserve.com
127.0.0.1 pixel.quantserve.com
127.0.0.1 quantcast.com www.quantcast.com
Save and close the file.
Reboot your computer.

From http://www.exterminate-it.com/malped...quantserve-com

To block quantserve.com cookie in Google Chrome
From the Chrome menu Google Chrome Menu Button, on the browser toolbar, choose Settings
Click Show Advanced Settings... link
In the Privacy section, click the Content settings
Click Manage Exceptions... button
Enter quantserve.com in the Hostname pattern (located at the left corner)
Choose Block from the Behavior field (on the right)

:eek::eek::jaw::eek::eek::jaw::eek::eek::jaw::eek: :eek::jaw::eek::eek:

SoloSK71 01-01-2017 07:31 PM

Try running HijackThis and Spybot Search & Destroy
and see what you get.

Feel free to reply to me in a PM or e-mail if you would like some support offline.

Charles

rayjay 01-02-2017 12:57 AM

First off, I'll be 74 next month and have mild cognitive impairment so with my limited knowledge of working computers I won't be attempting the things suggested by gregzz4 but thanks anyway. I've screwed up things a few times even when I thought I was doing something within my range of capabilities.
However, I DID download the hijack and spybot.
With the hijack, it comes up with a bunch of lines I have no idea what they are, and not knowing what will happen I don't want to check the lines and have it do what it will and find out I'll have to start all over again. Most of the lines at the end say something missing.
With the spybot, after installation it needed to update, but it appears to be stalled out partway through the update. I shut it down and clicked update again but it keeps stalling out. It's been over two hours, going on three, and no progress that I can see.

Forgot to mention, I don't allow cookies to be set without my allowing each of them. I have the settings on Chrome to block sites from setting any data, and block all 3rd party cookies and data.
I periodically go through the cookies and site data, removing any that may be set without my intention from sites like the forums I visit as I don't allow any others to set cookies. (well, other than google)

SoloSK71 01-02-2017 02:15 AM

Feel free to copy/paste the output of HijackThis into a PM and send it to me, I can let you know what is malware/adware (if any) and what is just the usual detritus of a Windows operating system.

By the way, even a brand new installation of windows can have missing files.

Charles

SoloSK71 01-02-2017 02:17 AM

One thing I forgot to ask, do you have grandchildren who use the computer? That can sometimes cause a problem as well. :eek:

Charles

rayjay 01-02-2017 03:07 AM

OK, the updates finally went through and I did the scan and 30 things came up. I ran immunization and then I clicked on canreef and the ad pop up occurred again.
Obviously I haven't solved it yet.
I don't even know if running the immunization is what takes care of the 30 items that showed in the scan.
I copied and pasted and e-mailed the hijack list. Hopefully there is something there that will connect as the problem.
I really appreciate the help.

SoloSK71 01-02-2017 03:34 AM

You mentioned that you clicked on the canreef link, are you doing this from a search engine or from a bookmark in Chrome or from someone's website?

Charles

rayjay 01-02-2017 03:40 AM

It's from a bookmark in a "message boards" file in "other bookmarks".
No pop up this time.

Myka 01-02-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 1005051)
It's from a bookmark in a "message boards" file in "other bookmarks".
No pop up this time.

Do you get a popup if you type in the URL www.canreef.com instead?

rayjay 01-02-2017 02:51 PM

I've not tried that at all. When I got the e-mail about your post, I planned on typing in the URL, but unfortunately, when I'm viewing the salt water forums that I visit, I automatically do it in an order and method that I've done for many years and I automatically clicked on the bookmark instead of typing in the URL.
The pop up did NOT happen this time, and based on past experience, I can go just one more time, or sometimes up to 5 or 6 days before it happens again, and then it can happen 6 or 7 times out of the next 10. Nothing consistent.

rayjay 01-03-2017 03:38 AM

Well, I did type in the URL this time and immediately checked the taskbar and found again, the ad page had appeared.
I had contacted Norton again and they told me to run Norton Power Eraser, but when I did, it came up saying nothing found.

mike31154 01-04-2017 02:48 PM

Have you considered trying a different browser?

rayjay 01-04-2017 03:09 PM

Not really. I won't use the Microsoft ones as I don't like to use anything of theirs if I have an alternate I can use. I used to use Firefox years ago but once I tried Chrome, I liked it so have used it ever since.
I won't change browsers just to avoid something that ONLY happens when I click on one site and no other site.
I'll keep plugging away until I find out how to stop it.
It would be easier if I was a lot younger and had the computer skills many of you have, but alas, with mild cognitive impairment, the skills certainly won't happen, and for getting younger, well.............
My Norton is up in a couple of weeks and I am going to Bit Defender so I'll see if they can pick up the problem. Norton told me to take the computer to a local technician to locate the problem and repair it. Why do I need Norton if I have to do that.

mike31154 01-04-2017 03:40 PM

I tried Chrome for a bit on one of my older PCs that I could not upgrade beyond Windows XP due to hardware limitations. At one point I encountered a similar problem as yours, but much more annoying & affecting pretty well any URL I brought up. I believe I used the procedure(s) outlined by Gregzz in his post to mitigate it. In the end I ditched Chrome as none of the other browsers, including Windows Explorer were affected. Definitely seemed to be something in the way Chrome deals with cookies and I was unable to tweak any settings to solve the problem permanently. None of the 'big' Anti Virus software applications I tried were able to find & repair the problem. All they did/do is slow down my system unacceptably.

With Windows 10 on my current notebook, I'm sticking with Microsoft's Edge browser & have removed all 3rd party anti-virus software, opting to also use the Microsoft protection system which is free and I haven't experienced any virus issues.

If you don't wish to or are unable to try any of the solutions or suggestions provided here, then really your best option is to have someone with the knowledge & skills work on your PC.

Ryanerickson 01-04-2017 04:15 PM

Have you tried adding (add blocker plus) in chrome extentions? May be a easy fix

rayjay 01-05-2017 03:11 AM

Mike, I've been using Chrome now for I think about 7 or 8 years on three different computers and never had a problem with it until now. I had switched up from Firefox at the time.
I tried to get used to Edge but change is not easy now at my age plus I have negative opinions on Microsoft anyway.
I just went on Edge earlier today but all I can find is settings to remove cookies at the end of session I think it was, not to block them period from ever being set, like I can with Chrome.
I did try the things Charles mentioned but no change.
I'm not skilled enough to try what Gregg mentioned.
Cost to LOOK at the computer starts at $80 and when on limited income it's the last thing you want to do.

Ryan, I don't know what chrome extensions are, or anything about this add blocker plus you mentioned. Most things are not easy for me on a computer unfortunately.

Another weird thing is that my tablet doesn't have this problem and it has exactly the same things on it with the same version of windows 10. I only use it for message boards when I'm away from home though as it's too hard for me to type on.

gregzz4 01-05-2017 05:52 AM

Ray, do you have any family or friends/younger peeps around you that could be recruited ?
It's not so difficult to start blocking certain aspects of your surfing experience, you just need some younger 'nerds' to help do it for you :wink::mrgreen:

rayjay 01-05-2017 02:02 PM

Unfortunately no, all my kids but one ended up long distances away other than one daughter here and she and hubby don't have the skills but I've already tapped the 19yr old grandson for all he knows but his skills are mostly gaming skills not diagnostic. He asked a buddy for help but buddy said he can't do anything Norton couldn't do when they took control of the computer and checked it out, not finding anything.
What I HAVE done now is searched the Adblock plus and got a download so now to see if it works over the next few days. Hopefully I got the right one as many came up in the search.

SoloSK71 01-05-2017 05:28 PM

I am willing to do some phone support for free, and depending on your comfort level, remote diagnostics and troubleshooting.

PM me if you are interested.

Charles

rayjay 01-05-2017 05:33 PM

Thank you for the offer. However, I'm first going to wait a few days to see if this adblock thing does anything to help.
As for comfort zone, it was more than two weeks before I let Norton take over the computer. It is probably a generation issue where trust in anyone based on my life experiences has become nil.

rayjay 01-11-2017 01:17 PM

Just an update now. It has been six days since I started using adblock and I've not had a re-occurrence of the pop up since. Hopefully that will continue.
Thanks all for the input.

Myka 01-12-2017 01:21 AM

Good to hear. :)

titus 01-12-2017 02:50 PM

Hello

Glad to hear this is fixed.

Titus

rayjay 01-23-2017 02:56 PM

OK, the pop up problem has been solved with the Adblock Plus.
HOWEVER, I have a PITA problem with spybot as I uninstalled it to return to using my Norton, now Bitdefender, and ever since, whenever I boot up the computer I get a pop up from Spybot "Post Windows 10 upgrade re-installer for Spybot-Search and Destroy". I then deleted the Spybot folder in Programs but again it still pops up.
Now my googling has found I need to delete this from Registery Editor so I google how to do that, clicking on HKEY CURRENT USER and then Software, but can't find a Spybot folder to find what needs deleting.
Can anyone help me remove this?
It's just my luck, fix one thing, end up with another.

Default 01-23-2017 10:32 PM

Install superantispyware. It will remove the malware that is injecting adds. You have only stopped the pop ups but have not removed the malware.
Malware can put itself into memory so reinstalling windows will not get rid of the virus or malware unless you clear the memory. By reformating disconnecting the power supply and discharging the capacitors on your motherboard.
You should be able to remove spybot from your task manager go to the start up tab and deselect spybot

rayjay 01-24-2017 04:06 AM

Thank you for your reply. However, I can't just keep downloading these programs and going from one problem to another. I had Norton Security Deluxe that couldn't fix it, and at the recommendation on this thread I downloaded Spybot and HiJack This and both never fixed it. I switched to BitDefender Total Security and that didn't do any better. What made the difference was the Adbloc, whether or not I have malware that all those programs can't find. How does one know for sure what WILL work as everyone has their own opinions and I'm certainly not qualified to know for myself.
I'm happy with the situation now, as long as I can get rid of this Spybot always trying to re-install when I boot up the computer.