Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Q&A (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   nano-contest this year?? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87822)

reefwars 07-09-2012 09:43 PM

nano-contest this year??

is there going to be one again? :mrgreen:

Snaz 07-09-2012 09:45 PM

I would like to hear if past participants are still running their contest nanos...Who has theirs still running? Pics?

reefwars 07-09-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaz (Post 729721)
I would like to hear if past participants are still running their contest nanos...Who has theirs still running? Pics?

i would also like to see that:)

feel free to post them here if anyones still running them:)

reefwars 07-10-2012 10:30 PM

???????

ElGuappo 07-10-2012 10:34 PM

i was wondering about this myself.. no sorry my critter cornucopia from contest one is long gone... i moved;-)

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Nano 07-11-2012 12:20 AM

Nano wants to know if there will be a nano competion for Nano to compete in......... Yikes I shouldn't speak in the third person

Madmak 07-11-2012 01:29 AM

Nano = <500G??

reefwars 07-11-2012 02:24 AM

lets do it, it's been 2 yrs since the last one :P

Nano 07-11-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 730120)
lets do it, it's been 2 yrs since the last one :P

+1 something I feel I could compete in finally

reefwars 07-11-2012 02:48 AM

yeah looks like good fun and im itching to set up a nano:P

fragbox.ca 07-11-2012 03:01 AM

I want to start a new nano!!
here is my current tank

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...M/FinalFts.jpg

reefwars 08-23-2012 10:33 PM

so anyplans to keeping this alive??

Proteus 08-23-2012 10:47 PM

Id be in for that although my goal is to get color back since playing with light to find right height vs percentage.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...7806BFA117.jpg

Nano 08-23-2012 11:42 PM

Guess i better get a good fts

windcoast reefs 08-23-2012 11:51 PM

Yeah I think this is a great idea! Just got my nano up and running finally!

don.ald 08-24-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 739602)
so anyplans to keeping this alive??

How does it work? What are the rules?

reefwars 08-24-2012 12:48 AM

there seems to be alot of interest as ive spoke to a dozen canreef users who have said they would love to participate.

here is a link to the last nano contest.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59720

if canreef staff doesnt have the time to do the contest maybe we as members can host one ourselves , i woldnt mind doing the legwork if we can get something solid down:) cheers all

reefwars 08-24-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windcoast reefs (Post 739619)
Yeah I think this is a great idea! Just got my nano up and running finally!

same here id love to show it off some more hehehe:P:P

Aquattro 08-24-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 739625)

if canreef staff doesnt have the time to do the contest maybe we as members can host one ourselves , i woldnt mind doing the legwork if we can get something solid down:) cheers all

I was just going to suggest that. I recall the last one kinda fell apart by the end and Christy just shook her head at the mention of doing it again, so...:)

reefwars 08-24-2012 12:54 AM

anyone have some suggestions for rules or want to elaborate on the rules from previous contests??

i think the size should be increased to 40g and under, and that tanks built within the last year should be allowed to enter:P (provided you have a journal thread or another post with pics proving your tank is under 1 yr old)

reefwars 08-24-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 739628)
I was just going to suggest that. I recall the last one kinda fell apart by the end and Christy just shook her head at the mention of doing it again, so...:)

i can do it for sure hell i spend all day on here anyways lol , i dont think money should be involved, bragging rights(possible snappy badge next to your name) is enough:)

if i came up with a contest that everyone can enjoy is it possible to have it in its own sub-forumn like the other contests so its easy to find and use??:)

Proteus 08-24-2012 12:59 AM

Entry fee?
Prize?

Seperate for Sps,lps or guys that have frag rooms coral;)

Aquattro 08-24-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 739631)
i can do it for sure hell i spend all day on here anyways lol , i dont think money should be involved, bragging rights(possible snappy badge next to your name) is enough:)

if i came up with a contest that everyone can enjoy is it possible to have it in its own sub-forumn like the other contests so its easy to find and use??:)

We could probably figure these things out..

reefwars 08-24-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 739633)
Entry fee?
Prize?

Seperate for Sps,lps or guys that have frag rooms coral;)

we could have an entry fee i guess its something we should vote oni dont mind paying the fee but if it will deter anyone from joining i dont thinnk it would be necessary. would be nice for everyone to be able to join.

ill come up with some rules and details/requirements tongiht using the old guidlines and ill post them tomorrow and see what you all think. once we get a solid rule guideline down we can start a sign-up sheet.

once we have enough people signed up we can start the contest and ill then bug brad to give us our own sub-forumn or sticky:P

how long does everyone think this contest should be for? 6 mths, 3mths ,9mths or a year???

maybe a shorter contest would be better so as we dont lose interest after so many months??

sphelps 08-24-2012 01:23 AM

Ditch the entry fee, competition and rules. Last one went bad because too many rules/guidelines like a budget that made no sense. Voting on such contests becomes more of popularity contest than anything else, hardly decides a winner which isn't needed anyway.

Set a limit on volume and make it so you have to start fresh. So no entering takes you already have running. 40g seems slightly rediculous for volume, I think most agree less than 20gallons is more along the lines of a nano. That's it really, think it be fun to see what people can create for the pure fun of it and wanting to participate. Change the name to 2012 nano build or something along those lines. People could continue to update threads for years if they feel like it and if it goes well could become a yearly tradition each year setting off a new set of nano build threads.

That is all :mrgreen:

Borderjumper 08-24-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 739644)
Ditch the entry fee, competition and rules. Last one went bad because too many rules/guidelines like a budget that made no sense. Voting on such contests becomes more of popularity contest than anything else, hardly decides a winner which isn't needed anyway.

Set a limit on volume and make it so you have to start fresh. So no entering takes you already have running. 40g seems slightly rediculous for volume, I think most agree less than 20gallons is more along the lines of a nano. That's it really, think it be fun to see what people can create for the pure fun of it and wanting to participate. Change the name to 2012 nano build or something along those lines. People could continue to update threads for years if they feel like it and if it goes well could become a yearly tradition each year setting off a new set of nano build threads.

I agree. 20 gallon or less ( including sump ) and tank has to be started from scratch for the contest

riceboy 08-24-2012 02:00 AM

Im up for a contest starting a 12" cube at work lol

reefwars 08-24-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 739644)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderjumper (Post 739653)
I agree. 20 gallon or less ( including sump ) and tank has to be started from scratch for the contest

ok sounds good to me we can do 20g or less and a from scratch build if everyone likes.

i agree with scrapping the budget and less rules the better , this should be a fun non stressfull contest:)

reefwars 08-24-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy (Post 739657)
Im up for a contest starting a 12" cube at work lol

its on buddy:P

riceboy 08-24-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 739663)
its on buddy:P

Done deal I'll start taking pics for my entry lol

ElGuappo 08-24-2012 02:37 AM

i was in on the first contest and here's my 2 pennies.

total volume... does it include external overflows, sumps? make it known.

imo no existing tanks... isn't the whole point of this to see a tank from startup to the end date? also levels the playing field. you could use these tanks if you want to empty and start anew.

budget.. i wouldn't include glass (unless starfire.. add the difference), plumbing or stands in this.. just lights, skimmer,heater, doser pumps/ph's etc. and yes livestock too. again keep the playing field fair. all expenses should be shown. Use an online retailer or two ( any, maybe even an American one) for pricing. level playing field and all...

just my thoughts..

i may be in.. its debatable.

reefwars 08-24-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGuappo (Post 739668)
i was in on the first contest and here's my 2 pennies.

total volume... does it include external overflows, sumps? make it known.

imo no existing tanks... isn't the whole point of this to see a tank from startup to the end date? also levels the playing field. you could use these tanks if you want to empty and start anew.

budget.. i wouldn't include glass (unless starfire.. add the difference), plumbing or stands in this.. just lights, skimmer,heater, doser pumps/ph's etc. and yes livestock too. again keep the playing field fair. all expenses should be shown. Use an online retailer or two ( any, maybe even an American one) for pricing. level playing field and all...

just my thoughts..

i may be in.. its debatable.

thank for the input , so from scratch it is, tonight ill do up a rough idea and we can adjust as we all feel needed.ill make it so sign up has to be done for oct1 and then we can start:)

reefwars 08-24-2012 02:47 AM

anymore suggestions or ideas anyone while were in the creating stages????

Nano 08-24-2012 03:51 AM

LOL damn. I'm nit gonna build a new tank haha. I'm out :(

reefwars 08-24-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 739683)

goodtime to empty it out and start from scratch:p

Proteus 08-24-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Yeh I'm not tearing down. I like the idea of a fun contest for appeal. Knowing what I spent on equip seems like a contest of fortune. I understand listing equipment as there are some damn techy nanos, but don't feel it should sway into a comp. I would base it on appeal and growth and maybe crashes during

My tanks been up for two months if that's not new enough I'll just have to spectate

lockrookie 08-24-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

dude buy yourself a cheap 5g tank and have fun it doesnt need to be expensive it just has to sustian life for a certian period of time... im in on this one and will be building from ground up as usuall hehe..

here is an example of a nano that is cost effective but most likely wont win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac3SVHpuPhw&feature=fvw

or just for fun great for reefer meets

http://www.gadgetking.com/wp-content...05/image29.png

even more fun also great at reefer meets lol

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kIWY2DV0KnE/TI...20bras%203.jpg

reefwars 08-25-2012 12:04 AM

bullsh*t.....

i just spent the last 3hrs typin out a contest and when i went to post it it said my "token" was up?? now ive lost all i wrote and i have no ambition to spend another 3hrs writing it out again:( maybe ill do it again but wont be tonight:(

reefwars 08-25-2012 12:05 AM

completely rotted i spent all last night writing it up and half today typing it:( grrr

don.ald 08-25-2012 12:14 AM

[quote=reefwars;739957] "token" was up??

does this have somthin to do with the "devil".