Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CrossFit (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100729)

Myka 09-15-2013 01:33 PM

CrossFit

Who on here is doing CrossFit? I know there are a few of you...

I just joined last week. I signed up for 4 months so either I'm going to die or I'm going to get fit. :lol:

mseepman 09-15-2013 02:09 PM

Sucker for punishment eh Mindy

Nano 09-15-2013 02:22 PM

I love it. Ive lost 65lb since december of last year but have only been doing cross fit for about 3 months now. I come home hurting every time but am building solid muscle mass.
Highly recommend it to anyone.

Aquattro 09-15-2013 02:24 PM

I'd say as a woman, you'll likely get in shape. Men can typically die, as egos tend to push harder than the body can follow :)

Seth81 09-15-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845270)
I'd say as a woman, you'll likely get in shape. Men can typically die, as egos tend to push harder than the body can follow :)

LOL... and that's why I always pick the treadmill next to the prettiest girl....Which of course is my wife when she comes to the gym with me!

Aquattro 09-15-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 845278)
LOL... and that's why I always pick the treadmill next to the prettiest girl....Which of course is my wife when she comes to the gym with me!

Good excuse to hang with pretty girls, but if it were up to me, treadmills would get banned from gyms :) Do the pretty girl a favor and get her lifting heavy weight!!

Seth81 09-15-2013 03:20 PM

Ha ha ha.... yeah I guess it depends on your picture of the ideal woman.

I did that whole getting bulk thing for a while, protein powders, creaitine and all that jazz... was really good for my football days, but when I played Rugby I recognized the need for developing cardio as well. Since then I try to be balance cardio and weights. However my bulky friends see me doing cardio and they do crack some jokes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845280)
Good excuse to hang with pretty girls, but if it were up to me, treadmills would get banned from gyms :) Do the pretty girl a favor and get her lifting heavy weight!!

Seth81 09-15-2013 03:26 PM

BTW my responce to my friends usually is "Big muscles may help you get a girl into bed, but cardio well keep her there!":mrgreen:

Hopefully thats not too rounchy for Canreef on a Sunday Morning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 845282)

I did that whole getting bulk thing for a while, protein powders, creaitine and all that jazz... was really good for my football days, but when I played Rugby I recognized the need for developing cardio as well. Since then I try to be balance cardio and weights. However my bulky friends see me doing cardio and they do crack some jokes!

Aquattro 09-15-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 845282)
!

Ya, I guess my ideal woman has a 6 pack -lol

Cardio is important, but I try to keep mine to sprints or intervals. I can link you a workout that will leave you on the floor trying to keep your heart from bursting out of your chest that takes about 20 minutes, all in the squat rack.

I do love running, just for the "me time" I get from it, but I have to make sure I'm prepped nutritionally so that I don't burn muscle tissue doing it (fairly common problem with long duration steady state cardio).

If you're really interested in this stuff, look up some podcasts by Phil Learney, great coach that trains a lot of rugby players.

Aquattro 09-15-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 845283)
BTW my responce to my friends usually is "Big muscles may help you get a girl into bed, but cardio well keep her there!":mrgreen:

Hopefully thats not too rounchy for Canreef on a Sunday Morning!

Well, my primary activity is weight training for body comp, but I can run (or other activities) for a couple hours :) Best of both, I suppose -lol

And probably too raunchy, but the mods are probably still sleeping :)

Aquattro 09-15-2013 03:34 PM

But back on topic, Mindy, ya, you'll have a blast!!

Seth81 09-15-2013 03:40 PM

Yeah I can understand that "Me time" thing...Also living in Calgary I don't get much outdoor cardio in the winter/early spring except the occasion days snowboarding. So doing cardio at the gym is a good habit for me.

Yeah I'll Google that guy for sure! I tried out P90X for a bit, but found that I'm not self disciplined enough to do it at home, I just don't push myself unless others are around. So sometimes I do the ripped or extremely ripped classes at my gym which is freaking insane!! Talisman centre in Calgary has got some awesome group finesses classes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845284)

Cardio is important, but I try to keep mine to sprints or intervals. I can link you a workout that will leave you on the floor trying to keep your heart from bursting out of your chest that takes about 20 minutes, all in the squat rack.

I do love running, just for the "me time" I get from it, but I have to make sure I'm prepped nutritionally so that I don't burn muscle tissue doing it (fairly common problem with long duration steady state cardio).

If you're really interested in this stuff, look up some podcasts by Phil Learney, great coach that trains a lot of rugby players.

marie 09-15-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845284)

I have a 6 pack...............I keep it in my fridge :lol:

Seth81 09-15-2013 03:50 PM

They opened a crossfit place here in Lloydminster, where I am doing a rotating shift for a few months. I was really considering joining, but it would be like my third gym membership! so ummm I think 2 is enough!!

But yeah one of the group fitness classes I was doing got me into shape very quickly! Just remember diet is still super important to acheiving your fitness goals, I typically get into the mindset of "Oh I am working out, so I can eat whatever I want" which doesn't work at all for me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 845265)
Who on here is doing CrossFit? I know there are a few of you...

I just joined last week. I signed up for 4 months so either I'm going to die or I'm going to get fit. :lol:

Aquattro 09-15-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 845289)

Perfect!! :)

Aquattro 09-15-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 845292)
Just remember diet is still super important to acheiving your fitness goals, I typically get into the mindset of "Oh I am working out, so I can eat whatever I want" which doesn't work at all for me!

Ya, good advice, and it doesn't really work for most people unless they're genetic freaks!
Nutrition determines if you grow, lose weight, lose body fat (not the same as losing weight). What you eat, when you eat it are very important details of getting into better shape. And to make it more fun, these details are different for everyone -lol

don.ald 09-15-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

F
Just remember diet is still super important to acheiving your fitness goals,

^^what she said
Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 845289)

Aquattro 09-15-2013 04:10 PM

Ok, Mindy is back online, you're all in trouble for hijacking her thread. Run away.....

don.ald 09-15-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845297)
Ya, good advice, and it doesn't really work for most people unless they're genetic freaks!
Nutrition determines if you grow, lose weight, lose body fat (not the same as losing weight). What you eat, when you eat it are very important details of getting into better shape. And to make it more fun, these details are different for everyone -lol

Well said, most people don't eat enough thinking they will loose weight. They tend to only burn muscle...need foods to repair. Fuel think of it as fuel

Aquattro 09-15-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don.ald (Post 845300)
Well said, most people don't eat enough thinking they will loose weight. They tend to only burn muscle...need foods to repair. Fuel think of it as fuel

Yup, dead on. Too few nutrients causes down regulation of all the hormones you want ramped up to build muscle and burn fat. Most people hit a stall, eat less, do more and then get no results. Success is driven by food, eat a lot, but eat well.

Seth81 09-15-2013 04:25 PM

She? Ouch! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by don.ald (Post 845298)
^^what she said

reefermadness 09-15-2013 06:24 PM

Crossfit is good but depends on your goals. If your goal is mainly functional fitness than crossfit is it. But if you goal is aesthetic (burn fat, gain muscle) or strength than there are better ways to get there IMO.

Quote:

The idea that a women would bulk up or get super muscular lifting weights is ridiculous. The ones that do are on Testosterone. Normal women who lift end up looking more like a bikini/fitness model. They simply dont have the genetics for bulky muscles....they just get toned. Crossfit can do this for women too but I would still say that bodybuilding/lifting could get the results faster because that is the primary goal. Crossfits primary goal is functional fitness.

As far as diet the only way to lose fat is by going on a calorie deficit. The only way to build muscle is to go on a calorie surplus (actually people new to training can loos fat and build muscle at the same time but its a fine line to walk and only lasts so long). Body composition will be determined by this plus your diet breakdown (protein,fat,carbs and micro-nutrients) plus your training.

Dearth 09-15-2013 06:25 PM

I hope it all goes good for you Myka

I am not a big believer in exercise programs there is no doubt that they are good for a person but for too many people that is an end all be all solution for them plus you have to want to do it joining up is all fine and dandy but if the drive to do it ain't there well you've just wasted a pile of money. Then once the membership or term is up it is up to you to continue the regime and by and far most people let it fall to the wayside.

I was on the verge of being morbidly overweight I was having daily Gout attacks even had trouble tying my workboots up almost even became the stereotypical fat person wearing sweatpants that was the final straw for me. I finally had enough and did my own weight loss I literally stopped eating I went down to a meal a day no snacking and no junk food. I lost 129 lbs in 3 months was it excessive yes but I also needed to do it for myself had 3 gout attacks in last 4 yrs and have maintained my weight at a comfortable lvl. I am still overweight and never have been a skinny person and I suspect I will always have extra baggage but compared to what I did weigh to now being 60 lbs over ideal weight I will take what I have now.

neoh 09-15-2013 06:49 PM

I don't have time to go to any sort of classes or gyms, and I was gaining 5lbs of weight a month since I quit smoking. (replaced cigarettes with eating.)

What I did was started and finished Sean T - Insanity. It's an at home DVD that requires no weights or equipment. It's extremely difficult, but I noticed results pretty fast. And now, I'm doing Focus T-25. Which is 25 minutes a day instead of the 1 hour Insanity workout.

For those of you who are trying to loose weight, and are considering something similar to Crossfit, I would suggest trying Insanity at home - I dare you all to get through the first week!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, just thought it was relevant. ;D

Myka 09-15-2013 10:26 PM

I'm not looking for weight loss really - maybe 5 lbs. More for general fitness and shaping. I like the idea of group classes. I can't handle going to a gym and lifting weights...BORING!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 845266)
Sucker for punishment eh Mindy

You betcha. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 845268)
I love it. Ive lost 65lb since december of last year but have only been doing cross fit for about 3 months now. I come home hurting every time but am building solid muscle mass.
Highly recommend it to anyone.

Awesome, good for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845270)

That's probably accurate. There does seem to be an injury prevalence. I guess a person needs to know when to say no.

Aquattro 09-15-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 845382)
That's probably accurate. There does seem to be an injury prevalence. I guess a person needs to know when to say no.

Ya, women tend to have more common sense and not injure themselves trying to prove anything. Usually :)

reefermadness 09-15-2013 10:40 PM

Proper form and good trainers go a long way. Hope your CrossFit gym has them.

Good luck Mindy, let us know how you like it.

Myka 09-15-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 845383)
Ya, women tend to have more common sense and not injure themselves trying to prove anything. Usually :)

My goal is to improve fitness. Sitting on the couch with a blown knee (or other such thing) would do me quite the opposite. This is always in my mind. I'm not invincible like I used to be. :neutral:

Oh, and thanks to those who expressed "rah rah rah" for me! I just may need a cheer squad! Thing is, I'm a cheap bastard and I already paid for 4 months of 12x per month classes, so you can bet I will attend all 48 of those classes! :lol:

Myka 09-15-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefermadness (Post 845385)
Proper form and good trainers go a long way. Hope your CrossFit gym has them.

Good luck Mindy, let us know how you like it.

Thanks! Yes, good form is very important to me. After my introductory class (where they were picky about my form) I did tell them that form is of utmost importance to me. I picked the more expensive/popular CrossFit gym to go to. Whether that is a popularity contest or because they really are superior - only time will tell. :D

I hope it works out. I need to blow off some steam. I have more energy than a person should be left alone with. :eek:

kien 09-16-2013 12:55 AM

ZOMG I'm tired just reading this thread :lol:

:pop2:

nrosdal 09-16-2013 01:12 AM

Good luck Mindy, I love it. Just take your time and make sure the coaches are good and not just programming random things. A good CF gym will actually put some thought into it and not just trying to kill you every day. Also, be careful with the fast progression and don't hesitate to take a day or week off if something hurts(more the muscle soreness.. because there will be plenty of that).

I can say from experience that if you have a little injury and push through it can set ya back quite a bit with a big one ( i tore my pec off the bone in December and am just able to get back at it starting few weeks ago). I was the guy that Brad described earlier (a silly goose).

But you will know after a few weeks how it is. Usually a love or hate kinda thing. Should get great results if ya show up :)

Aquattro 09-16-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 845406)

I hope you're doing that abs WO I gave you!!

Myka 09-16-2013 01:30 AM

Thanks Nick! You're pretty darn fit, so I guess I'm on the right track!! :D

mrhasan 09-16-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 845406)

Me too! Poutine anyone?

Jokes apart, I need to start working out; docs told me I am too fat for my age and I might die any minute :redface:

intarsiabox 09-16-2013 01:58 AM

I just got back from stuffing my face at a buffet and eating more desserts than any normal person should eat in a month, then the first thing I read is this thread. I almost feel guilty. My problem is that no matter what or how much I eat I stay the same weight so I'm never all that motivated to get in better shape which I probably need to do. Plus my job has me lifting heavy machinery here and there and up and down stairs so I'm pretty beat at the end of some days. I did take a step in the right direction though and set up the treadmill from my last move 2 years ago. I would have set it up sooner but I bought one of those gym grade ones that weigh about 400lbs and no one wanted to help me move it from the storage area but after about 2 pounds of sweat I got it done. Good luck Myka!

intarsiabox 09-16-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 845428)
Jokes apart, I need to start working out; docs told me I am too fat for my age and I might die any minute :redface:

My doctor told me I'm in fine shape for someone twice my age!

jonn46 09-16-2013 03:23 AM

I guess I am more of a reader then a poster but I have to throw my 2 cents in, I have a martial arts club but we also teach yoga. I have to say I am super impressed with yoga if taught by a qualified instructor. I am embarrassed to say at one time I thought it was a class for grandmothers. Haha that was until my Korean instructor said "John sit, yoga very easy" Holy crap I have been doing martial arts for years and I thought I was going to die!

kien 09-16-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 845428)
Me too! Poutine anyone?

Poutine will go straight to your hips! Stick to popcorn. It's healthier. Just don't drown it in butter!

wickedfrags 09-16-2013 04:47 PM

exactly. you can exercise all you want but without the proper diet and nutrition, you will not reach a goal and stay there long term. it's about a healthy, balanced lifestyle, not a gym membership or the program of the month...

Quote:

Just remember diet is still super important to acheiving your fitness goals, I typically get into the mindset of "Oh I am working out, so I can eat whatever I want" which doesn't work at all for me!

paddyob 09-16-2013 04:57 PM

I don't understand crossfit but my cousins wife is religious about it.

She just came back from South America with Team Burmuda.

And she sounds like a man now. I think she dopes. Lol.

Good luck!