Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   JL Aquatics (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Nice! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115861)

rsisvixen 09-12-2015 06:01 PM

Nice!

Like the new look of the website :)

WarDog 09-12-2015 06:40 PM

Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but I'm psyched to have a look!

Aquattro 09-12-2015 06:54 PM

Looks great!!!

Doug 09-12-2015 07:36 PM

Very nice Jeff. Good job.

jlaquatics 09-12-2015 07:48 PM

Thank you guys for the kind words! Since we only went live a couple of hours ago we appreciate any and all feedback you guys can provide to us now and in to the future.

I also must say this has been a large project with input from many people and I will definitely be passing on your comments!

Thank you.

Jeff

WarDog 09-12-2015 08:19 PM

Looks awesome, and very modern! No problems I saw on the computer, but still not working properly on Android.

jlaquatics 09-12-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

still not working properly on Android.
Our mobile version appears to not work on any mobile platform and we are taking steps to fix it now.

Thank you for the notification :biggrin:

Jeff

rsisvixen 09-13-2015 01:35 AM

Will there be scientific names attached to the livestock?

Just makes it easier to find info on certain fish as there seem to be 3-4 common names sometimes.

Also ease of keeping and whether it is reef safe or not.

scherzo 09-13-2015 02:03 AM

Looks great on desktop. The mobile version is quite different and just as a side note - but it sees the Chromebook browser as a mobile device rather than desktop.

scherzo 09-13-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scherzo (Post 964008)
Looks great on desktop. The mobile version is quite different and just as a side note - but it sees the Chromebook browser as a mobile device rather than desktop.

Wow - that was fixed fast! It is working now.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 09-13-2015 09:07 AM

Looks real sharp Jeff & the gang. Very nice work.

Anthony

jlaquatics 09-13-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsisvixen (Post 964005)
Will there be scientific names attached to the livestock?

Just makes it easier to find info on certain fish as there seem to be 3-4 common names sometimes.

Also ease of keeping and whether it is reef safe or not.

- Good feedback. To be honest the livestock portion of the website has not received as much attention as we need to make substantial changes to our in company procedures (if you will) along with that. We'll get there though!

Doug 09-13-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaquatics (Post 964038)
- Good feedback. To be honest the livestock portion of the website has not received as much attention as we need to make substantial changes to our in company procedures (if you will) along with that. We'll get there though!

It would be nice to see all the livestock or a good portion of it. At least in corals. WYSIWYG is how I buy corals online.As Im here in Kamloops I order where I can see that and shipping comes to my door. Best of all worlds.
As for fish, and inverts, an up to date list of whats in stock would work for me at least.
Thanks

RMC 09-13-2015 04:41 PM

It would be handy to have a link on the mobile site redirecting to the desktop site.

Very slick new look! Great work

summer57 09-13-2015 05:23 PM

Website looks great! It must have been a huge amount of work for everyone!

I agree with rsisvixen, I'd like to see more details on the livestock, like scientific name & husbandry details.

I noticed that when you click on a Freshwater Plants image, it opens a page with details about that plant. It would be great if it worked the same for fish, corals, etc.

rsisvixen 09-13-2015 06:00 PM

I'm sure it will take a lot of work and time to imput all that data, not to mention working out a system to track livestock arrivals and sales so your inventory is up to date.

Maybe instead of having so many pages of livestock currently displayed, you can narrow it down to what you currently have, what you usually have/get and expand as time permits?

For example the clownfish page, most of whats listed are rarely available-such as barrier clowns, sebaes etc, but none of the regular clowns or designer clowns that you currently have are listed-dominos, picassos, perculas etc

Great job on the website, I'm sure like a fine wine it will only get even better with time :)

somafish 09-13-2015 06:37 PM

Not gonna lie, kinda like the old one more. Maybe I just have to get use to the lay out

jlaquatics 09-14-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somafish (Post 964055)
Not gonna lie, kinda like the old one more. Maybe I just have to get use to the lay out

Which type of device are you using to view the website?

Thank you,
Jeff

somafish 09-14-2015 03:17 PM

I've used my laptop and s6 edge definitely see the difference on my cell phone

Myka 09-14-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somafish (Post 964055)

Me too. I liked that the old homepage had all the categories on the left side. Now it takes 3 clicks to get to that same area. Not a big deal since most other retailer websites are like this too, but just not as streamlined as it used to be I guess. I'm using a laptop FWIW.

Craigdillman 09-14-2015 06:36 PM

Love the new website, was a long time coming Love the livestock section especially

Few things to think about ( my 2 cents )

1) make live stock category to search for " instock" items
2) as said above and like you had before the reef safe circles or description was really good last time
3)I know i know the time involved but a WYSIWYG section puts you guys into the elite vendor section lol

Good job guys keep up the good work

corpusse 09-15-2015 03:10 PM

I miss the old site, but I can see why you wanted an updated modern one vs the websites that randomly change their look for no reason. That being said just ordered new test kits. It's too bad you can't look at your previous orders anymore but no big deal. I still have one of my naked clownfish I ordered from you guys in 2006!

Doug 09-15-2015 09:37 PM

I can no longer access the site on my iMac

jlaquatics 09-16-2015 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 964325)
I can no longer access the site on my iMac

You have a new PM :biggrin:

Jeff

rsisvixen 09-16-2015 09:46 PM

An error message, ran into this when clicking on deal of the day.

There has been an error processing your request

Unable to send mail.
Trace: #0 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/lib/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail() #1 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/lib/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #2 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/community/Devinc/Dailydeal/controllers/IndexController.php(27): Zend_Mail->send() #3 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(418): Devinc_Dailydeal_IndexController->indexAction() #4 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(254): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('index') #5 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(172): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http) ) #6 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(365): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch() #7 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/Mage.php(684): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array) #8 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/index.php(83): Mage::run('', 'store') #9 {main}

Jakegr 09-17-2015 04:24 PM

I'm finding it quite slow to load, and a giant Milwaukee banner keeps popping up before I can click "menu" (blocks the link). Using a Mac with safari.

jlaquatics 09-17-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsisvixen (Post 964438)
An error message, ran into this when clicking on deal of the day.

There has been an error processing your request

Unable to send mail.
Trace: #0 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/lib/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail() #1 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/lib/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #2 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/community/Devinc/Dailydeal/controllers/IndexController.php(27): Zend_Mail->send() #3 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(418): Devinc_Dailydeal_IndexController->indexAction() #4 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(254): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('index') #5 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(172): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http) ) #6 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(365): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch() #7 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/app/Mage.php(684): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array) #8 /home/jlaquatics/webroot/index.php(83): Mage::run('', 'store') #9 {main}

We believe have sourced & fixed the problem. If you see this problem manifest itself in the next 24 hours please send us a PM or email.

Thank you kindly for your help with this!

Jeff

jlaquatics 09-17-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakegr (Post 964505)
I'm finding it quite slow to load, and a giant Milwaukee banner keeps popping up before I can click "menu" (blocks the link). Using a Mac with safari.

Thank you.

You have a PM.

Regards,

Jeff

jlaquatics 09-17-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 964175)
Me too. I liked that the old homepage had all the categories on the left side. Now it takes 3 clicks to get to that same area. Not a big deal since most other retailer websites are like this too, but just not as streamlined as it used to be I guess. I'm using a laptop FWIW.

Thank you Myka.

From your feedback and others, the menu is something we feel could be improved upon as well and we will definitely be looking further in to this as work on the website progresses.

Thanks to you and all for the feedback! Awesome.

Jeff

Myka 09-18-2015 02:19 AM

Hey Jeff, it's Minder. I didn't realize you don't know my handle. You and Al make it to MACNA this year?

Gools 09-19-2015 02:33 PM

Don't care for it sorry! Having a hard time trying to find things! Like the old one, simple fast lay out. Got frustrated so left. Sorry

NU-2reef 09-19-2015 08:02 PM

Hey what's with the price hike on some items? I bought an ai prime from you guys a few months back for $ 229. Now it's over $260!!!! Did these things just appreciate in value? Was going to buy a second one from you but not at that price. I know reef supplies still has them at $229.

Wheelman76 09-19-2015 08:15 PM

The new website is harder to navigate through , much prefer the older one with everything lined up on the left side of the page.

WarDog 09-19-2015 09:25 PM

Hi Jeff,

I've had a chance to thoroughly use the new site. Overall I like it. I'm a little frustrated with the pull down menus. I think you should remove the 'shop now' tab, and just have a constant left margin list (like others have suggested), like the old site. Nothing is more frustrating than having to manipulate the mouse several times rather than just having a consistent list. Plus, drop down menus are a constant fail on mobile devices.

As mentioned earlier, a return of the reef compatible colour charts! Very helpful in livestock selection.

You also appear to be missing 'zeovit products' in the aquarium supplies list. That was handy.

Had to create a new account, unavoidable I guess, no big whoop.

Love the 'brands' page, much better than before!

gregzz4 09-19-2015 11:19 PM

Have to agree with the others ....

I miss the constant menu on the left - Too many mouse clicks to find products now - and the fish 'care' rating list you had was very useful

Hopefully you can integrate these previous features within your new format

jlaquatics 09-20-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NU-2reef (Post 964672)
Hey what's with the price hike on some items? I bought an ai prime from you guys a few months back for $ 229. Now it's over $260!!!! Did these things just appreciate in value? Was going to buy a second one from you but not at that price. I know reef supplies still has them at $229.

There was a price increase on AI products recently, and the rest is in response to the US dollar. At the moment, Reef Supplies is listing the AI Prime at $265.

jlaquatics 09-20-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 964678)
Hi Jeff,

I've had a chance to thoroughly use the new site. Overall I like it. I'm a little frustrated with the pull down menus. I think you should remove the 'shop now' tab, and just have a constant left margin list (like others have suggested), like the old site. Nothing is more frustrating than having to manipulate the mouse several times rather than just having a consistent list. Plus, drop down menus are a constant fail on mobile devices.

As mentioned earlier, a return of the reef compatible colour charts! Very helpful in livestock selection.

You also appear to be missing 'zeovit products' in the aquarium supplies list. That was handy.

Had to create a new account, unavoidable I guess, no big whoop.

Love the 'brands' page, much better than before!

I really appreciate you taking the time to have a close look at the site, as I do all the input and comments I'm reading in this thread. A big thanks to all!

As is illustrated in this forum (and through other channels), the menu system is not getting the best review. This is something that can be changed and we are looking at the possibility of implementing a new menu system. I can't promise any timelines - but we are certainly sensitive to the feedback that has been provided. Please hang in there for now :wink:

The livestock portion of the website is still a work in progress (always planned to improve over time) and I can definitely see us re-implementing the reef compatible colour charts again. As well as general care information. Other new ideas have been noted and will be taken in to account as well.

Now Fixed:

Search Engine - Some people had concerns about the usefulness of the search engine and we worked quickly to fix that. Users will find the search engine to be far more accurate than at launch. We've also added a "suggested spelling" feature to help keep things as accurate as possible.

Daily Deal - Some people reported seeing an error message or not being able to see the Deal of the Day. This issue has been resolved.

New & Noteworth Page - Image View - When viewing livestock photographs on the N&N page, a new tab will no longer be opened, instead a zoomed & isolated view will be offered (similar to our old website).

NU-2reef 09-21-2015 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaquatics (Post 964735)
There was a price increase on AI products recently, and the rest is in response to the US dollar. At the moment, Reef Supplies is listing the AI Prime at $265.

Lol now they do! I shoulda just kept my big mouth shut and ordered it. Well there is still canada corals :D 229$. Till they see this and adjust their pricing too

Wheelman76 09-21-2015 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NU-2reef (Post 964764)
Lol now they do! I shoulda just kept my big mouth shut and ordered it. Well there is still canada corals :D 229$. Till they see this and adjust their pricing too

Lol

Doug 09-22-2015 07:40 PM

Tried to access on my iMac today and cant get on again.

Fixed. Thanks