Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Oceanic Corals (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   All work+No Play=Boring..So O.C. Group Dive!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62056)

Gooly001 03-09-2010 03:46 AM

All work+No Play=Boring..So O.C. Group Dive!!

Hi,

Well with all the hard work we've put in these last few months, I feel that I deserve a day of fun!!

I have spoken with a few of you in regards to getting together and doing a group dive so this is the plan:

When:

March 27th, 2010

Time:

08:00-Whenever we get done

Where:

Whtyecliff Park or Porteau Cove depends on Visibility.

This should give some people time to get in the pool with your local dive shop for a refresher.

Another idea is to go for a first dive and then go scuba crabbing on the second dive. You would need to get your crabbing permit and I'll check to see if it is open season and we could go back to my place and have a crab fest for dinner.

Anyways, it would be nice to get out and dive with all of you and have some other fun besides reef.

Please Post here if you have any ideas or comments or express interest to join us.

As an incentive to come out we will have some draws for prizes.

Cheers,

Paul

imisky 03-09-2010 04:07 AM

Paul you SUCK! i wish i could go but i dont have time... equipment...nor do i have my permit hahaha. Always wanted to get on that....hm...

Gooly001 03-09-2010 04:09 AM

Well Eugene,

If you hurry and take a leave from your courses, you CAN get certified within 2 weeks.

Who needs an education when all you live for is to go DIVING!!

Cheers,

Paul

Haloreef 03-09-2010 08:43 PM

Dive

I'm in lets go! I sooo love my dry suit!
I may have a few extra full tanks if any one needs one. I will have to check.
I have not been wet past my elbows in salt water in too long.
Keith.

Jason McK 03-09-2010 08:50 PM

I'm in!
I'm heading to FL for some diving on Saturday but I'll be back in time for that

I've just finished my DM course but don't have the ticket yet and have done about 150 -160 dives. What is everyone else experience like?

J

lockrookie 03-09-2010 08:50 PM

living in sask sux i need to move to the coast

muck 03-09-2010 08:51 PM

Wicked Awesome Paul!!
Some day I've gotta get a West Coast Dive in with you guys.

Do you take a camera when you dive? I'd love to see some pitchures.. :razz:

Snappy 03-09-2010 09:17 PM

I am very interested in this. I have my advanced certification but have never actually done any cold water dives. I would assume there's a dive shop that I can rent a dry suit & equipment I'll need. Please let me know more details. Thanks.

Jason McK 03-09-2010 09:22 PM

Are you heading out this way Greg?

Yes there are a ton of dive shops in the GVRD. My personal fav is Ocean Quest

J

Delphinus 03-09-2010 11:21 PM

I would love to come out one day too. March 27 is way too soon for me though, got way too much going on and just came back from a warm place destination where I did some diving anyhow. But perhaps one day I can join you guys out there.

I think it would be way cooler to have a Canreef Cozumel Dive Trip some day .. although it wouldn't be colder, just cooler. And maybe more expensive than what you're planning. :lol:

Anyhow have fun on this one. :)

banditpowdercoat 03-09-2010 11:32 PM

I should get my dive ticket one day!!. I wear SCBA all the time in the fire dept. What's the difference?? LOL

Gooly001 03-10-2010 01:01 AM

Awsome. Good to have you join us Jason.

I believe we have a couple advanced and a DM or two including you. I am a bit more novice (12 dives) so I'll be tagging along with one of the DM.

What do you think about the crabbing idea for the last shallow dive?

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 499951)
I'm in!
I'm heading to FL for some diving on Saturday but I'll be back in time for that

I've just finished my DM course but don't have the ticket yet and have done about 150 -160 dives. What is everyone else experience like?

J

Gooly001 03-10-2010 01:02 AM

About 100 feet of water above you LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat (Post 500004)
I should get my dive ticket one day!!. I wear SCBA all the time in the fire dept. What's the difference?? LOL

Gooly001 03-10-2010 01:03 AM

Good to hear that you're coming too Keith. Hope you can grab a few of your friends as well. It'll be loads of fun. :mrgreen:

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haloreef (Post 499949)
I'm in lets go! I sooo love my dry suit!
I may have a few extra full tanks if any one needs one. I will have to check.
I have not been wet past my elbows in salt water in too long.
Keith.

Gooly001 03-10-2010 01:05 AM

Hi Ryan,

I have a small point and shoot that can go to 300 feet. Only problem is that it gets pretty dark under 100 feet out here this time of year. We'll see what sort of pics I can get.

You gotta come out West Ryan, we've been talking about it for 4 years now. :wink:

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by muck (Post 499953)
Wicked Awesome Paul!!
Some day I've gotta get a West Coast Dive in with you guys.

Do you take a camera when you dive? I'd love to see some pitchures.. :razz:

Gooly001 03-10-2010 01:10 AM

Hey Greg,

You have a place to stay if you can swing it to come out. Would love to have to experience cold water. It's actually not that bad. I only use a wet suit. Just make sure you pee in it to get it nice and warm. LOL just J/K. But seriously, don't swim behind me.

You can rent a suit and all the equipment here in Langley. I think there is a member on here that might have some spare gear that you can use. I can ask them if you are interested in coming out....for a small fee of course...:wink: (frags...cough..frags..)

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappy (Post 499955)
I am very interested in this. I have my advanced certification but have never actually done any cold water dives. I would assume there's a dive shop that I can rent a dry suit & equipment I'll need. Please let me know more details. Thanks.

banditpowdercoat 03-10-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Paul- (Post 500055)
About 100 feet of water above you LOL.

Well, if it's on Fire, then I'm Good To Go LOL

Gooly001 03-10-2010 01:12 AM

Where are the ladies???

Are there none here that want to join us?

C'mon out. It'll be fun.

Paul

Jason McK 03-10-2010 01:53 AM

I think you can Crab at Porteau but I'm sure that Whytecliff is protected marine park

Cool Idea

cprowler 03-10-2010 02:07 AM

Porteau is a protected marine park also, Kelvin Grove might not be.

Jason McK 03-10-2010 02:20 AM

Hey Cprowler good to hear from you. How's the little one

I heard that Kelvin is closed to divers now. Too many Divers peeing in the bushes

J

cprowler 03-10-2010 02:27 AM

LOL...

The little one is good, hard to believe it's been over 5 months already.

cprowler 03-10-2010 02:39 AM

Now I wouldn't let my dislike for shore dives prompt me to bring this up, but...:mrgreen:

Our dive store uses Sea Dragon Charters out of Horseshoe Bay and I believe they do two dives air included for $99. They know all the good sites and it's way easier to access them by boat because of the steep terrain in West Van and the Sea to Sky corridor.

http://seadragoncharters.com/

Just a option to keep in mind.

Gooly001 03-10-2010 02:45 AM

I'm open for this.

Anyone else think that this might work too?

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprowler (Post 500127)
Now I wouldn't let my dislike for shore dives prompt me to bring this up, but...:mrgreen:

Our dive store uses Sea Dragon Charters out of Horseshoe Bay and I believe they do two dives air included for $99. They know all the good sites and it's way easier to access them by boat because of the steep terrain in West Van and the Sea to Sky corridor.

RCFA 03-10-2010 02:54 PM

Wish I was still in Van I would definitly come along. Take the boat trip! You can get to much cooler sites, and ones you can keep the crab. Beleive it or not the shore dive site I would always find lots of crab was wreck beach. Really tough hike in and out, and not much of a dive site, but tons of crab! My buddy and I used to come home with at least 3 or 4 keepers each after a dive there. Make sure to check the tides!

Have fun and maybe I'll be in van for the next dive. We could do a calgary dive trip!

Hey Jason I just got my DM too. I am just trying to finish off my 3 more DSD evals so I can start teaching. Have you done those?

OceanicCorals-Ian- 03-10-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCFA (Post 500275)
Beleive it or not the shore dive site I would always find lots of crab was wreck beach.

Not sure that the Crabs you find at Wreck beach are the kind you want to eat! :lol:

RCFA 03-10-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Ian- (Post 500276)
Not sure that the Crabs you find at Wreck beach are the kind you want to eat! :lol:

:lol:Guess I should have seen that one coming! But with a drysuit I feel very protected from any unwanted invertebrates!

Snappy 03-12-2010 05:06 AM

Interestingly enough my birthday is on the 28th so my wife told me I should go diving & have some fun. I anticipate I'd fly out on Friday and return Sun or Mon.
Paul I think I still have your cell so I'll call you.

Jason I think I might just bring minimal gear like my reg, mask & fins. I think I might be too fat for my BCD with a thick wetsuit or dry suit if needed. Should I fly into Abbotsford or Vancouver? What is the water temp out there? I know this changes day to day & dive to dive but what is the typical visability in the area? Sorry for all the questions but I'm excited.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Greg

Snappy 03-12-2010 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprowler (Post 500127)

I am up for something like that for sure but I will of course gladly do whatever the group wants to do.

Jason McK 03-12-2010 05:23 AM

Well it turns out I can't make it on the 27th. My wife has a large charity event she has organized for months that same day. Yes I'm in the dog house for even suggesting I'd go diving that day

Gooly001 03-12-2010 05:34 AM

Greg,

Why don't you ship your gear over via West Jet. It'll still be cheaper then renting I think.

As for airport of arrival; I only live 15 minutes from the Abbotsford Airport and can pick you up easily.

You are welcome to stay the weekend.

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappy (Post 500964)
Interestingly enough my birthday is on the 28th so my wife told me I should go diving & have some fun. I anticipate I'd fly out on Friday and return Sun or Mon.
Paul I think I still have your cell so I'll call you.

Jason I think I might just bring minimal gear like my reg, mask & fins. I think I might be too fat for my BCD with a thick wetsuit or dry suit if needed. Should I fly into Abbotsford or Vancouver? What is the water temp out there? I know this changes day to day & dive to dive but what is the typical visability in the area? Sorry for all the questions but I'm excited.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Greg

Gooly001 03-12-2010 05:35 AM

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. Next time for sure?

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 500971)
Well it turns out I can't make it on the 27th. My wife has a large charity event she has organized for months that same day. Yes I'm in the dog house for even suggesting I'd go diving that day

Snappy 03-12-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Paul- (Post 500976)
Greg,

Why don't you ship your gear over via West Jet. It'll still be cheaper then renting I think.

As for airport of arrival; I only live 15 minutes from the Abbotsford Airport and can pick you up easily.

You are welcome to stay the weekend.

Paul

Thanks Paul that is a very generous offer, I'll call you.

Snappy 03-12-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 500971)

Yeah I'm sorry to hear that too.

cprowler 03-13-2010 06:17 AM

Hey guys,

I don't know if I can make it or not since my work has no schedule at all, I was going to wait and most likely find out a few days before. Since it looks like we might need the people I might be able to book it off, I'll call Monday and find out.

That's too bad Jason, would changing it to the 28th help?

Would that still work for you Greg? and everyone else?

Haloreef 03-13-2010 03:33 PM

Dive

The 28th would work better for me as one of my regular dive buddies has his last photography class on the 27 and won't be able to make the dive.
However I will make either day
Keith.

OceanicCorals-Ian- 03-13-2010 05:36 PM

I think I need to go get dive certified!

JHC 03-13-2010 09:22 PM

I might be interested especially if its a boat dive.

James

Zoaelite 03-13-2010 11:11 PM

I tell you living in Alberta with a dive licence is killing me, Waterton and Minnewanka can only fix me for so long :neutral:. Greg have you decided if your going or not? Perhaps it would be worth the flight.
Levi

Gooly001 03-14-2010 05:47 AM

Hi James,

Starting to look that way. The Sea Dragon is going to look into getting us to a crabbing site as the last dive.

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHC (Post 501510)
I might be interested especially if its a boat dive.

James