Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Rogue One : A Star Wars Story (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121564)

WarDog 11-28-2016 05:17 AM

Rogue One : A Star Wars Story

As some may know, I'm a huge Star Wars nerd. Tickets just went on sale for Rogue One, the latest outing from Disney's buyout of Lucasfilm. This is the first in a series of 'stand-alone' films, which will also include a Han Solo film (which just started production), and a rumoured Boba Fett film. I have a feeling this will become a new fan favourite, but not sure if it can rival the Skywalker saga films at the box office. Anyone else excited about this flick?... I know my Jedi brother Kien is down!

kyl 11-28-2016 07:02 AM

Hoping to go see an IMAX screening of it.

Dearth 11-28-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1003027)
As some may know, I'm a huge Star Wars nerd. Tickets just went on sale for Rogue One, the latest outing from Disney's buyout of Lucasfilm. This is the first in a series of 'stand-alone' films, which will also include a Han Solo film (which just started production), and a rumoured Boba Fett film. I have a feeling this will become a new fan favourite, but not sure if it can rival the Skywalker saga films at the box office. Anyone else excited about this flick?... I know my Jedi brother Kien is down!

It's sort of like asking if you like breathing....the obvious and only answer to both questions is ....YES :mrgreen::biggrin::lol:

Bblinks 11-29-2016 06:07 PM

I am in too Warren...:wink:

kien 11-30-2016 12:35 AM

I'm *totally* guessing here, but I predict that at the end of this movie they steal the plans to that moon-not-moon/baby-starkiller-base. I also predict that the plans will be handed off to a "princess" of (maybe) Alderaan.

Those are all just speculative predictions by the way.

#Nerd

Dearth 11-30-2016 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 1003133)
I'm *totally* guessing here, but I predict that at the end of this movie they steal the plans to that moon-not-moon/baby-starkiller-base. I also predict that the plans will be handed off to a "princess" of (maybe) Alderaan.

Those are all just speculative predictions by the way.

#Nerd

You've seen the movie already haven't you or you have a "kien" sense

Ram3500 11-30-2016 02:58 AM

I normally watch any given Star Wars movie "excluding Episode 1 " at least once per week so yes I'm looking forward to it. But I don't think any new film will be better than the first release.

https://youtu.be/hN74bOubUug

gregzz4 11-30-2016 04:14 AM

With the whole Lucasfilm buyout thing in mind, I'm sure this next movie will be a CG spectacular.
Disney has been pretty good in the past, and they have some money to spend on movies, don't they?
How many of us really care about story lines ... ?

I mean, c'mon, what else is there to tell about the whole Saga?
(sorry Warren, you know they don't care about the die-hard geeks. They aren't going to reply to your e-mails)
All we want to see are special effects, ya ?!!!!
They are going to steer this next wave of movies towards the next generation, so you won't even get it in your inbox !!

OK, I'll say it

I'm really disappointed that Lucasfilm sold out. But all things must happen eventually.
I've seen how quickly Disney has started producing movies since and can only state this;
The franchise is going to take a new turn, and hopefully it won't be towards the Death Star

Hopefully Kids will take a message from this movie.

I just wish they would use their own minds

Myka 11-30-2016 12:36 PM

What's going on? I had no idea you are a Star Trek fan Warren.

WarDog 11-30-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1003157)
What's going on? I had no idea you are a Star Trek fan Warren.

Oh Mandy, really? :lol:

titus 12-05-2016 03:33 PM

Hello

Just saw an ad on the MTR over the weekend and am excited. Was a bit wow to see Donnie Yen in it. Didn't know it was sold to Disney but that kind of explains a bit on why the poster look a bit more child friendly.

I love Star Wars but I think my wife likes it more than I do. It's a bigger hit in mainland China than in Hong Kong. I like Star Trek more though. :popcorn:

Titus

Myka 12-05-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1003159)
Oh Mandy, really? :lol:

Lauren! I just saw the first ad on TV for this Rogue thing! They're not advertising it very well...

Delphinus 12-06-2016 08:23 PM

I'm looking forward to it. :)

That said... I haven't bought advance tickets to see it. I dunno, the thought of buying tickets this far in advance for a movie, like you would for a concert or something ... it just doesn't seem to enter into my brain as something to do.

That said, seeing as it seems that among those buying tickets now for the movie are some that are buying multiple viewings of the movie so that can watch it "X" number of times (where X > 1), maybe it's for the best that they get the chance to do so and get it out of their system before I go. :lol: They'll enjoy it more without me impeding them and I'll enjoy it more if I can just relax and go see it, then it's maybe a win all around. :lol:

lastlight 12-06-2016 08:25 PM

IMAX booked. Male members of the family very excited... female ones will just have to suck it up!

tang daddy 12-06-2016 11:25 PM

Got my tickets last week on a Tuesday as it's always better to watch movies at half price, I was quite surprised to see that at that time the theater was still empty, it's the first Tuesday after it comes out so still always away. I liked the last starwars movie and watched it 2x since we went to the island to meet a good friend and he had not watched it, we got cool collector glasses for watching it in 3D except I am not sure why the second time around I fell asleep...

I hope this one is as good as that one!

gmann 12-06-2016 11:33 PM

Donnie Yen + the force = scary

I pray Hollywood don't make him look weaksauce though.

Tyfighter 12-16-2016 01:24 AM

Heading to the theatre for a pre screening as I type this!!

WarDog 12-16-2016 01:28 AM

Sitting in the theatre waiting. 30 mins. Woot Woot.

kien 12-16-2016 01:31 AM

****SPOILER ALERT*****

it's not a moon! It's a space station!!

WarDog 12-16-2016 01:54 AM

Damn you Kien!!!!! Oh wait.... the movie is starting!!!!!

kien 12-16-2016 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1004109)
Damn you Kien!!!!! Oh wait.... the movie is starting!!!!!

Don't be a Tommy Texter . Turn off your damn phone!

WarDog 12-16-2016 04:38 AM

OMG IT WAS REALLY GOOD! If you're a fan, you'll be satisfied beyond belief!

Tyfighter 12-16-2016 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1004123)
OMG IT WAS REALLY GOOD! If you're a fan, you'll be satisfied beyond belief!

Wow! Exactly what he said!

ramasule 12-16-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 1003514)
IMAX booked. Male members of the family very excited... female ones will just have to suck it up!

Which is funny because they keep pushing the agenda to target females.

lastlight 12-16-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramasule (Post 1004133)
Which is funny because they keep pushing the agenda to target females.

Yeah I think it's the Sci-fi element they'd need to tweak. Perhaps if that rumoured luke skywalker solo film happens and they have him farming tatooine with cute animals but then make him female with a sweet american girl doll collection... my daughter will be onboard.

ramasule 12-16-2016 10:06 PM

Panda bears, braclets, and shoes for mine.

Skim 12-16-2016 10:59 PM

Looking forward to seeing it, but nothing compares to the when my brother took me to the first Star Wars and when I came out of the theater it was a perfectly clear sky. Boy what do you think I did for the next hour!

Anyhow Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

Live Long and Prosper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dearth 12-19-2016 10:38 PM

Just seen it answered some questions and saw some entertaining cameos Most notably the guy with the wobbly eye and his ugly friend and Warwick Davis in costume

videosilva 12-20-2016 01:31 PM

Not impressed !

A quick review of the movie.

People running , things exploding for 2 plus hours.

The End.

intarsiabox 12-20-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by videosilva (Post 1004348)

The End.

Unfortunately I've heard the same thing from a few people now. I took half a day off work last year to go see episode 7 only to find it was little more than a remake of ANH. I've also been told that most of the stuff seen in the trailers aren't even in the movie, it's starting to sound like a rental sadly.

Dearth 12-21-2016 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intarsiabox (Post 1004382)
Unfortunately I've heard the same thing from a few people now. I took half a day off work last year to go see episode 7 only to find it was little more than a remake of ANH. I've also been told that most of the stuff seen in the trailers aren't even in the movie, it's starting to sound like a rental sadly.

Its all in the perspective

It is an enjoyable movie if you just want a movie leave your brain at the door and don't think

If your a true Star Wars geek this will set off your nerd meter then some (the movie alludes a great deal to the star wars animation "Star Wars Rebels") This is me

For some this movie will be a disappointment

I personally loved it and the nerd in me was out in full force :laser:

intarsiabox 12-21-2016 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 1004387)
Its all in the perspective

It is an enjoyable movie if you just want a movie leave your brain at the door and don't think

If your a true Star Wars geek this will set off your nerd meter then some (the movie alludes a great deal to the star wars animation "Star Wars Rebels") This is me

For some this movie will be a disappointment

I personally loved it and the nerd in me was out in full force :laser:

I'll have to press my brother further on it I guess. He's a real Star Wars geek and saw the first midnight showing. I asked him about it already and all he would tell me was that " a lot of people died to get some plans". Haha, very funny :neutral:

videosilva 12-21-2016 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by videosilva (Post 1004348)

The End.

I remember VERY clearly my friend Derek's dad saying that he was going to take him to see Star Wars. I was 9 at the time and asked his dad if I could go to. The commercials were impossible to resist coming along the Battle Star Galactica era. Derek's father said I could go to the disappointment of my friend Derek :( Derek complained that I had begged to go. Yes, I did I was f^#&$#$&)G 9 years old.

Star Wars was amazing. When then waited for 3 years for the empire to come out. You NEVER EVER see a sequel better then the first movie.The Empire was better then Star Wars hands down. Then came Return of the Jedi and one disappointment after another.

This new one ranks right up there with the worst. Again no lie they run , explosions, more running and more explosions for more then TWO and a half HOURS. You would think in a movie that is almost 3 yours long a story or something would evolve. But not running, explosions , running, running, explosions, explosions. It makes you dizzy trying to figure out what they are running from.

The End.

Moogled 12-21-2016 04:23 AM

It was alright, but that final Vader scene got me pumped up :D

corpusse 12-21-2016 03:15 PM

I would say it was almost better than ep 7. In a lot of ways it was. The characters were not as good but the story itself was better, perhaps because they barely had to write it. That being said the visuals, nods to rebels ect were much better done in Rouge One then EP 7. I consider myself a big fan, but not a crazy big fan but one thing that really bothers me about 7 is the fact the resistance does not use any capital ships and only attacks with x-wings. The battle scenes in Rouge one are far superior with mostly familiar ships or various classes in use.

The ending was great too but once you see Tarkin it's really not that much of a surprise but until then you don't realize how close in time this is to a new hope. One thing I wish the movie had was Thrawn though.

WarDog 12-21-2016 05:37 PM

Thrawn is rumored to be in the Han Solo film.

Dearth 12-21-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1004422)
Thrawn is rumored to be in the Han Solo film.

There is also rumours of Ghost One crew to be featured in one of the stand alones which would be cool to see

WarDog 12-21-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 1004424)
There is also rumours of Ghost One crew to be featured in one of the stand alones which would be cool to see

Very much. The Ghost and Chopper were in Rogue One, did you catch them?

Dearth 12-21-2016 07:07 PM

I saw chopper but I missed the Ghost but I do know what scene it appeared in (from spoilers)

Myka 12-26-2016 04:41 PM

So, I'm not a "Star Wars fan" by any stretch. I enjoy the movies - particularly the older ones. I went and saw this one in 3D with my niece and nephew (10 and 12). They loved it. I had no idea what was going on until about halfway through. I had no idea it was an "in the middle" movie, so I was quite surprised when Darth Vader showed up. I was all like, "Didn't he die?". So yeah, I didn't get it. The production was good though! :lol: