Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why Iphone Is Worth The Money (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79545)

MarkoD 10-27-2011 10:41 PM

Why Iphone Is Worth The Money

... it simulates lightning in your reef tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRanI...el_video_title

Corbin 10-27-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 645701)
... it simulates lightning in your reef tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRanI...el_video_title

andorid still wins.

reefwars 10-27-2011 10:53 PM

whats an iphone???

StirCrazy 10-28-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 645704)
whats an iphone???

who cares?.....

spawn 10-28-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 645704)
whats an iphone???

it's like heaven, but it's in yer hand

Corbin 10-28-2011 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spawn (Post 645836)
it's like heaven, but it's in yer hand

oh you mean android, yeah it is pretty good.

Samw 10-28-2011 05:01 AM

why does a phone cost more than my gaming laptop?

gobytron 10-28-2011 02:37 PM

iphones are like trix...
strictly for kids.

try your mommy or daddys blackberry when you grow up.

Canuckgod420 10-28-2011 02:53 PM

blackberry is trash

SpruceGruve 10-28-2011 03:02 PM

this post is going nowhere

gobytron 10-28-2011 03:04 PM

unless you wear a suit to work...lol
I couldnt do half the marketing I do now without BBM.

BB is currently entrenched in the business world and that is probably their one and only saving grace.

I know in my world, if you walk into a boardroom with an iphone or android, no one takes you too seriously and so much gets done over bbm its crazy.

still, I admit iphone or androids make better toys than a bb.

Aquattro 10-28-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobytron (Post 645928)
I know in my world, if you walk into a boardroom with an iphone or android, no one takes you too seriously and so much gets done over bbm its crazy.

Our boardroom has people with both :) The company supported BB and their personal smart phone.

globaldesigns 10-28-2011 04:01 PM

K, here is my 2 cents:

I have always been a BB guy, it was a great phone, good quality, and for me for business there was no other.

However.... Over the past year I have had several issues, down-times (from blackberry issues), so not always getting my texts or emails. But Phone always worked flawlessly

Last Straw... The BIG downtime of 2 weeks ago. It was so bad, that my phone kept locking up trying to do the text/email processes. I would go to use the phone and it would be a white screen of death. I would put it down and let it sit, and eventually it came back, but took about 5 minutes each time.

So I abondanded the BB. Looked at the Android, as I am tech guy, and they are good. But went with the IPhone 4s, because it was brand new and Apple has a market share on phones, so thought go with another big name.

By no means am I an apple promotor, but I will say this IPhone 4s is so much more. It absolutely out performs the Blackberry BOLD 9700 I had.

lastlight 10-28-2011 04:02 PM

My boardroom is strictly Apple. iMac and iPhone. I don't even allow BBM users in there. My bed is also in there as well as a bunch of clothes all over my floor.

parkinsn 10-28-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 645940)
My boardroom is strictly Apple. iMac and iPhone. I don't even allow BBM users in there. My bed is also in there as well as a bunch of clothes all over my floor.

Sounds classey. Clean or dirty clothes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samw (Post 645876)
why does a phone cost more than my gaming laptop?

Cuz apparently you need a better gaming lap top or you got a great deal on your Alienware lap top.

ponokareefer 10-28-2011 04:19 PM

My wife owns the iPhone 3G and she recently upgraded to a iPhone 4S. It was the only phone that either of us has owned over the last 10 years that lasted the full 3 years of the contract. It was clearly built to last.

The only blackberry either of us owned died 1 week after the warranty expired and Rogers wouldn't do anything for me over the phone or going into the store. Complete crap.

Bblinks 10-28-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckgod420 (Post 645922)
blackberry is trash

what did the iphone say to blackberry?

Iwork!:mrgreen:

I'll be here all week.

StirCrazy 10-28-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globaldesigns (Post 645938)
Last Straw... The BIG downtime of 2 weeks ago. It was so bad, that my phone kept locking up trying to do the text/email processes. I would go to use the phone and it would be a white screen of death. I would put it down and let it sit, and eventually it came back, but took about 5 minutes each time.

um.. that sounds like there was a problem with your phone its self.. all the outage for 1 day in canada did was delay e-mails and BBM's. mine wasn't working properly for all of 4 hours but the phone and internet worked perfectly the whole time as these are not routed through there secure server like e-mail and BBM are.

Steve

cale262 10-28-2011 05:25 PM

I'm a mac guy all the way but BB security systems are the reason most companies, including the one I contract to currently insist on using them...when the network isn't down :wink:

MarkoD 10-28-2011 05:32 PM

I have a bb as well. As my work phone. It was minus 2 today and the speaker is all crackling now. What junk. Can't even act as a phone properly

cwatkins 10-28-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponokareefer (Post 645947)
It was the only phone that either of us has owned over the last 10 years that lasted the full 3 years of the contract. It was clearly built to last.

The case on the back of my 3GS cracked right up the middle starting from the docking port. This is just from putting into and taking it out of the docking station.

Booo.

I can repair it myself though with $50 of parts bought online.

On the other hand, I still think the BB Curve I had at my last job was the best phone I've ever had.

jostafew 10-28-2011 06:00 PM

Couldn't resist getting in on the pointless debate! :biggrin:

I have to say that unless you're in the military, iPhone is the way to go. Andorid and iOS are so much easier to navigate, and iOS4+ (notice that I didn't include android) has 95% of the security and manageability features that BB OS does. PLUS iOS natively plays nice with Exchange activesync whereas you need BES server to manage e-mail and security in ADDITION to exchange when using BB in the enterprise.

I have an iPhone 4 (personal) and a BB Bold 9780 (work). I also work with the BB Torch and Bold 9900. While they will do a lot of the things that iPhone (and android) will do, BB OS is just more clumsy and not nearly as polished. If you're a consumer, android is great as an alternative to iOS, but in my opinion it does not belong in the work place for security and manageability reasons. For the consumer, I have yet to see an android phone that will match the iPhone 4 or 4s in terms of features AND battery life. For me iPhone is still number one (though my mom just got a Samsung Galaxy Gio from Virgin that is killer value at $150, android 2.3 if I recall).

MarkoD 10-28-2011 06:02 PM

And I think my blackberry curve feels like a cheap plastic toy

lastlight 10-28-2011 06:05 PM

But that cheap plastic toy *is* less likely to break if you drop it I think. My iPhone4 fell out of my pocket as I exited my car. Fell maybe 2 feet and entire back shattered. A phone made of glass... GENIOUS! To Apple's credit they did replace the glass for free. Guess there's a price to pay for sexy. Can't use acrylic because the people will complain about scratches lol.

globaldesigns 10-28-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 645968)
um.. that sounds like there was a problem with your phone its self.. all the outage for 1 day in canada did was delay e-mails and BBM's. mine wasn't working properly for all of 4 hours but the phone and internet worked perfectly the whole time as these are not routed through there secure server like e-mail and BBM are.

Steve

Nopers, being techy I thought of that... I emptied the phone of data, reinstalled the O/S, just to make sure it wasn't the phone. Did this actually a couple times. After doing that I was worse off, as I couldn't register it on the Blackberry network, as it was down. So email, texts were really not working (but didn't matter as BB was still down), but still phone was having issues hanging.

But, the hanging went away, once Blackberry came back up. Once they got things kinda running, phone worked 100% for the couple days later, until I got the new IPhone 4S.

Don't get me wrong, BB has great phone quality, and the build of the hardware is great. But I rely on this phone for business, any missed email or calls, means missed revenue or potential. I never liked the fact that there is a third party involved, being BB servers... And this major outage was the last straw. BB has shown the world that they need to rework their network, as I forsee they will now do. A piece of hardware on the other side of the world took Canada/US down also, all because 1.) their backup infrastructure was inferior 2.) their aging network cannot handle the traffic, or unforseen excess due to issues.

I for one am a IPhone guy now. And I LIKE IT!!! Oh yeah, I also kiss girls.... AND I LIKE IT!!!! Sorry, now I am singing :lol:

lastlight 10-28-2011 06:10 PM

iChaps must come in white? :mrgreen:

globaldesigns 10-28-2011 06:11 PM

Oh yeah, for people that drop phones.... Get the Otter Box Case, had it on my BB, got it for the IPhone. Great cases!

globaldesigns 10-28-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 645984)
iChaps must come in white? :mrgreen:

Hey, you poking at me now!!! :biggrin:

lastlight 10-28-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globaldesigns (Post 645985)
Oh yeah, for people that drop phones.... Get the Otter Box Case, had it on my BB, got it for the IPhone. Great cases!

Defeats the purpose of getting something sexy tho lol I've seen that case up close. Ugly as sin (and massive). I've got a really low profile one now. Just enough depth so a fall on a flat surface will not damage the glass.

globaldesigns 10-28-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 645988)
Defeats the purpose of getting something sexy tho lol I've seen that case up close. Ugly as sin (and massive). I've got a really low profile one now. Just enough depth so a fall on a flat surface will not damage the glass.

depends which case you get, they make several different models for each phone... Mine is very slim, doesn't make the phone that much bigger, but it is a superior case.

I don't care about sexy, I care that it works... And I will eventually drop it, so in my case, this case is worth it.

MarkoD 10-28-2011 06:29 PM

I've never had any cases or protectors on my iPhone. It's just a phone. And I know I'll probably be replacing it every year

StirCrazy 10-28-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 645993)
I've never had any cases or protectors on my iPhone. It's just a phone. And I know I'll probably be replacing it every year

man if I had your money I would burn mine.. every year.. thats a lot to pay for a phone..

as for dropping BBerrys, I have dropped my torch three times now getting out of my truck.. twice were a drop from about 5 feet, and the third some how it got throwen about 10 feet away also :redface: couple scratches, but nothing is lose.. nothing is cracked, and it works just like it did when I got it... I am a little more carefull now :razz:

Steve

StirCrazy 10-28-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globaldesigns (Post 645983)
But I rely on this phone for business, any missed email or calls, means missed revenue or potential. I never liked the fact that there is a third party involved, being BB servers...

me to. if I miss a call from work it would cost me over 1000.00 bucks for lost work and penilities.. thats why I have the blackberry. I am not saying the iphone or the android phones wont work just as good for me, I am just going by my track record with BBerrys. this is my third and I have never had a hardware issue with any of them.. thats 7 years of problem free phones. as for outages there has been two in the last two years that were more than 30 min, and they only affected e-mail and BBM. this last one my BBM was laging by 15 min, and e-mail was about 4 hours behind but that wasn't an issue for me as it is the phone I depend on for work.

I have had a cell for 20 years now.. and the BBerries were the first ones that didn't need to be replaced for hardware issues.

now I haven't tried iphone, except for playing with my kids and I thought nice toy, but the phone wasn't as good as my storm or my torch. sure it had what 10X the apps available, but look at the apps on 99% of the iphones most are useless amusment things. yes there are some cool things, I do like the slide to unlock on the iphone and now there is a app for BBerry that adds that feature. I don't use my phone for music and if I did I wouldn't use the iphone because I hate how pushy and restrictive the ituens is. when they make them so you can slide mp3's over like a hard drive transfer instead of through propriatary software then I would concider it. so realy a i-phone is for some one who wants toys over a phone, and theres nothing wrong with that. its a personal choice. I chose to use a seperate MP3 player instead of my phone, I chose to play games on my x-box or wii instead of my phone. sure I have a crib and a poker game on there for when I am stitting in a air port and I don't want to start my laptop up, but all my other apps are utilities like a scientific calculator ect......

as for the android setup.. every one I know who has got one has loved it, what I don't like about them is the amount of different configurations.. android is an operating system and nothing more.. so every phone maker has jumped on the bandwagon and made android compatable phones.. but some are better than others some do this but not that... so which one does one get?

I think the ideal phone would be if google would buy out RIM while the stocks are still low and make there own phone this would give them the most secure e-mail and msg combine with one of the most adapatable operating systems..

what BBerry lacks is one thing. hardware wise they are probably the best phone on the market but there isn't enough forward thinking in the design and concept section of the company. they need a young visionary to dream up new ideas for there phone instead of playing catchup all the time.

Steve

MarkoD 10-28-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 646002)
man if I had your money I would burn mine.. every year.. thats a lot to pay for a phone..

as for dropping BBerrys, I have dropped my torch three times now getting out of my truck.. twice were a drop from about 5 feet, and the third some how it got throwen about 10 feet away also :redface: couple scratches, but nothing is lose.. nothing is cracked, and it works just like it did when I got it... I am a little more carefull now :razz:

Steve

It doesn't cost me anything. I do a hardware upgrade and get thee new iPhone for 200 dollars and extend my contract by an editional year. Then sell my old iPhone on kijiji to cover the cost of the new one.

If anytime in that year I damage my phone I call in and get a replacement under warranty

globaldesigns 10-28-2011 07:47 PM

On a side note, wanted to give my wife my old headset, so she doesn't get any distracted driving tickets. So I went to Future Shop to get me a new one today. Left with the Motorala Roadster Hands free unit.

Very cool... It clips onto your visor, it of course is a hands free unit using bluetooth, but can also transmit FM into the vehicle stereo. Works very well. It can also play my IPhone music if I wish, using bluetooth to transmit from phone to handsfree, then fm to the vehicle stereo. Works well, not 100% audiophile sound, but not bad.

It can also read texts, emails, etc using Motospeak app for BB and Andriod devices, this app isn't available for Iphone, but with the 4s I have, Siri does all this and more.

So I recommend this to anyone looking for a bluetooth device, so they can talk on the phone, while driving without worry of a ticket.

Aquattro 10-28-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 646005)
.. so which one does one get?

Clearly one would get the Galaxy S2 :)

Aquattro 10-28-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 646007)
It doesn't cost me anything. I do a hardware upgrade and get thee new iPhone for 200 dollars and extend my contract by an editional year. Then sell my old iPhone on kijiji to cover the cost of the new one.

If anytime in that year I damage my phone I call in and get a replacement under warranty

I do the same, but most carriers have a 30 month upgrade plan. Mine is every year on my corporate plan, so I just upgraded, sold my old Galaxy S to cover the cost of the upgrade. Free phone every year!

StirCrazy 10-28-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 646016)
I do the same, but most carriers have a 30 month upgrade plan. Mine is every year on my corporate plan, so I just upgraded, sold my old Galaxy S to cover the cost of the upgrade. Free phone every year!

ya thats what I did to go from my storm to my torch, but the upgrade for tellus in the smart phones is 20 bucks / month, so that would be 480.00 for a two year early upgrade. plus you just get the 3 year rate on the phone so that would be 580.00 to upgrade after one year on a 3 year plan.

Steve

StirCrazy 10-28-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 646015)
Clearly one would get the Galaxy S2 :)

I have heard about that one and by all accounts it looks good. and when you can get BBM for android I will think about it... well in two more years when my contract is up that is. but by then the S2 will be so 2011. :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro 10-28-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 646021)
ya thats what I did to go from my storm to my torch, but the upgrade for tellus in the smart phones is 20 bucks / month, so that would be 480.00 for a two year early upgrade. plus you just get the 3 year rate on the phone so that would be 580.00 to upgrade after one year on a 3 year plan.

Steve

I get a free upgrade annually with our corp plan, so just the regular cost of the phone for 3 yr contract. The S2 was 159, sold my S for 175.